(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 19 Oct 2020, 23:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Palemoon is broken or lacks compatibility with xenialpup 7.5
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
wert

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar 2020, 16:54    Post subject:  Palemoon is broken or lacks compatibility with xenialpup 7.5  

palemoon browser is not reliable on xenialpup. It often crashes and cannot be used for anything serious. It seems the engine is not working well with the kernel in xenialpup. I've tried updating to newer versions than the default version 27 but it gets worse.
The deault palemoon browser crashes often when using and won't last 20 minutes opening differing webites. Then I'll have to restart x server using shortcut keys. I think the problem is that it's the engine conflicting with the modern kernel on xenialpup75.
The browser is certain to crash usually when loading sites that have more pictures. So perhaps it is that specific area of the engine which is the bug.

I've tried chromium broowser and it works fine on the same system with no crashes whatsoever and stable for hours of browsing.

This is a serious issue since it's the default web browser in puppy xenial, thus marring the operating system. If I hadn't used another browser on the same system, I'd have concluded that it's the OS that was poor when in fact it's contrary to that. It's the best OS i've ever used on my desktop with unmatched performance from any linux based OS i've used before. The developers of xenialpup please implement another browser that matches the platform.
Makoto

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar 2020, 19:24    Post subject:  

Aside from the more recent versions seemingly chewing up more resources than before, and YouTube's new interface giving my setup grief, I can't say I've ever had a problem with PaleMoon crashing under XenialPup (32) 7.5. Have you changed the kernel?

Tried experimenting with a blank PaleMoon profile, to see if the problem persists? Or at least disabled your plugins/extensions (Help > Restart in Safe Mode...) - one of those could possibly be causing instability.

666philb

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar 2020, 19:39    Post subject:  

it could be a stick of memory going bad.
tallboy

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar 2020, 20:53    Post subject:  

Wert, have you tried to delete or rename your old /root/.moonchild productions folder before updating? (copy bookmarks and other saved stuff)
The same goes for /root/.cache/moonchild productions.
Download a new Palemoon instead of upgrading. If you have several old updates crammed into the same prefs folders, it is likely that problems may occur. Go to this address, and read the release notes for version v28.0.0 (2018-08-16) https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes-archived.shtml
You will notice that the PM 28 series was built differently from the 27 series, your old prefs for another build platform, may be the cause of your troubles. If you browse the PM forum around that release date, I think you will find recommendations for replacing the old prefs folders.
Quote:
I think the problem is that it's the engine conflicting with the modern kernel on xenialpup75.
I believe the PM is made to work with all kernels, and definitely all those newer than the old one in Xenialpup.

As for your other thread asking for alternatives to Palemoon: google Linux Browsers

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar 2020, 02:50    Post subject:  

See my answer here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1052962#1052962

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: