(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 26 Jan 2021, 17:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Problems posting on forum
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
rockedge

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020, 13:18    Post subject:  

Quote:
I no longer receive notifications of new posts to threads I'm registered to follow.

This is being caused by the Forum software. The current Forum software is not able to send email messages via https: so many of the email providers servers now filter the notifications out as "unsecured" and they are never delivered
rockedge

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020, 13:35    Post subject:  

@Flash somebody should make a decision on what to do.

Soon we'll wake up one day and the forum will not work at all. The code was written in PHP 5 and PHP 7+ is the norm today. The Murga web server is Apache 2.2! No idea what the mysql server is. I realize the murga server seems to be running headless so changes are impossible to implement.

The window of opportunity to run tests that I offered to upgrade the software and include all the million or so threads contained in the original is closing.

Waited 6+ months and not a peep. So 4 more weeks the test site will run and then I will remove it and work on something else.

Disappointing is the entire lack of any effort to fix these problems. Soon the forum will just present a blank page and that will be it. A legacy that no one did a thing when the warning signs were abound will be all that's left and a "used to be a great place"
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020, 14:58    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
@Flash somebody should make a decision on what to do.

Soon we'll wake up one day and the forum will not work at all. The code was written in PHP 5 and PHP 7+ is the norm today. The Murga web server is Apache 2.2! No idea what the mysql server is. I realize the murga server seems to be running headless so changes are impossible to implement.

The window of opportunity to run tests that I offered to upgrade the software and include all the million or so threads contained in the original is closing.

Waited 6+ months and not a peep. So 4 more weeks the test site will run and then I will remove it and work on something else.

Disappointing is the entire lack of any effort to fix these problems. Soon the forum will just present a blank page and that will be it. A legacy that no one did a thing when the warning signs were abound will be all that's left and a "used to be a great place"

And I thought I had criticized how this forum was maintained in years past...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020, 16:52    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:

But did you do anything BUT criticize? Rockedge started a new forum with the idea that people would migrate to it, but few of us ever tried it.
Semme

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020, 17:16    Post subject:  

Makoto, not that I've noticed much of anything over the years, but, is John the only one that screws with the phpBB here, or do you and maybe ttuuxxx ever make any modifications or improvements?

Aside from the occasional hot-linked, oversized image, surely you know that beyond a certain amount of characters placed in either an attachments "file comment" or between "code tags" explode the page and create a horizontal scroll-bar.

I doubt it's a complicated mod, but, never fixed, huh?

Maybe John feels it's good enough the way it is?

People show, can post and get addressed.

Outside of here, he's got a real life.

Yeah, we get it. We got that too! Wink
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020, 23:11    Post subject:  

John Murga is the only person who can do anything with the forum software and he hasn't been active in the forum for a long time.
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2020, 02:06    Post subject:  

Yeah, I was going to say that I don't think there's much I could do without access to the actual phpBB installation, especially since most of the changes wanted would probably require phpBB mods to be installed (without getting into upgrading the forum software).

Offhand, I don't recall seeing any options that would help with the 'long' post problem. I'd imagine it would need a mod (or board style?) smart enough to recognize when a post goes over the length and rewrap it or resize images (though that could be a problem with external image-hosting site links, and really, I'd prefer to do my own resizing than trust a forum to guess at it. Mr. Green )

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2020, 05:59    Post subject:  

Maybe this idea has been suggested in the past, maybe not. If it has, then apologies, but....

Does BarryK know how to get in touch with John? Confused Because it does appear that John has gone out of his way to make it so that no-one can contact him online, in ANY way.

Mike. Wink

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2020, 06:48    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
I also submit then edit and rarely ever use preview.

If it helps anyone else, I do the same thing. I post and then edit and pretty much never use preview on here; the downside is that my posts are typically full of typos and punctuation mistakes for the first 10 minutes after they're posted (like this one is), but at least it works.

[I should say at this point that I'm not claiming any great technical knowledge here about the way the forum software works; I do it that way because I find it slightly easier than using post preview.]

Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.
musher0

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2020, 14:07    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
musher0 wrote:

But did you do anything BUT criticize? Rockedge started a new forum with the idea that people would migrate to it, but few of us ever tried it.

I'm not going to challenge your perception, Flash, you're the boss here.

My comment just means that rockedge's crtiticism above is a much more
fundamental criticism than whatever I ever wrote.

And that's all I'll say about it, I don't want to rekindle that other debate;
we have a different context now. "I'm just saying."

rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2020, 16:28    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
rockedge's crtiticism above is a much more
fundamental criticism than whatever I ever wrote

It's more of advising to change course and steer away from the reef that we clearly see ahead of the bow as we are sailing full speed towards it. I just stick to the facts as a fellow crew member.
musher0

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2020, 17:47    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
musher0 wrote:
rockedge's crtiticism above is a much more
fundamental criticism than whatever I ever wrote

It's more of advising to change course and steer away from the reef that we clearly see ahead of the bow as we are sailing full speed towards it. I just stick to the facts as a fellow crew member.

I hope your advice is heard and followed.

wiak

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2020, 19:30    Post subject:  

My own main concern is simply the danger of losing important information when this forum stops working, which could I fear happen. I'm not overly worried about the main threads that interest me since I have backups of my own main recent threads (only).

The other matter to consider is that it is not just a matter of old phpBB not being maintained, but also like all new software, on the whole it tends to be improved over time. Actually many things are better on new phpBB forum. I really like, for example, how you can drag attachments into the open post window without having to browse for them as an extra 'add attachment(s)' task. And also how you then get the option to embed them wherever you like in your post or simply as attachments at the end. That's especially beneficial for HowTo threads since you can embed diagrams inside the text explanations and at appropriate places in the text.

But there is also the issue that the old forum continues to grow, so even more is in danger of being lost the longer that goes on. Rockedge has been maintaining his site for long enough now that you can be pretty sure he knows well how to keep it in top shape. All software needs continuous maintenance or eventually it breaks or otherwise becomes redundant - I can't really imagine old murga-forum to be acceptable many more years from now either way, though I suppose it could be an archaic fascination to look at if the old light bulb was still flickering. Considering its large membership though, someone interested in it should, I'd say, be planning for its replacement though, rather than sitting around pretending it will always still be working (and satisfactorily) tomorrow.

I'm not sure at all what is being found lacking with rockedge's generous offer to the community, but I suspect it is just 'inertia' but the ostrich head in the sand effect is hardly wise.

wiak

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun 2020, 04:08    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
The window of opportunity to run tests that I offered to upgrade the software and include all the million or so threads contained in the original is closing."

I didn't know that your testsite exists. Searched all your previous posts and found a link in the "Forum sucks" thread of user bark-woof-fetch. I tend to ignore such posts. I agree that your testsite is much better than the current forum but as long as it's hidden in the dark you can't expect the response your efforts surely deserve. Or are you referring to response from John Murga?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun 2020, 08:22    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
I'm not sure at all what is being found lacking with rockedge's generous offer to the community, but I suspect it is just 'inertia' but the ostrich head in the sand effect is hardly wise.

wiak

@ Will:-

AFAICT it's got nothing to do with 'inertia' to the concept of a new site. Those of us who have tried the test site all agree it's miles better than the existing site, in so many respects.

The issue is, quite simply this; John Murga cannot be contacted! Without being able to do this, the necessary 'dump' of the MySQL and phpBB stuff that rockedge needs to smoothy transfer from the old site to the new can't be obtained.....and without the databases, the transfer (or 'upgrade') will never take place.

The keys to the property are in the hands of somebody who has apparently gone AWOL.....a long time ago. What can you do? Flash is our sole staff member, and even he has no idea of how to contact John; in years gone by, John would periodically put in an appearance here on the forum, but as of this day it's 2 years, 1 month and 3 days since John last posted.....

My view is that it's probably better simply to announce to everyone that as of a certain date, the 'new' forum will be the official one (and will be the expected Puppy Forum "home" from that point on). Such an 'event' would be absolutely fine with me.

(*shrug*)

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 14 Jun 2020, 08:25; edited 2 times in total
Page 2 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: