Tried to run Bleachbit in Xenialpup, failed. (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
SlyPhy

Tried to run Bleachbit in Xenialpup, failed. (Solved)

#1 Post by SlyPhy »

So I was looking for packages to run on my newly working install of Xenialpup 7.5 and I checked the wikka page to find this
Xenialpup 7.5 uses Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the Woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 16.04 packages.
So I want to load up Bleachbit 2.0... and went here https://www.bleachbit.org/download/file ... tu1604.deb because apparently it's a Ubuntu 16.04 package and as per above, Xeniapup 7.5 uses Ubuntu 16.04 and is compatible.

The .deb file installs, the Bleachbit 2.0 entry appears in the System sub-menu.. all looks great until you click on it... nothing. Not a damn thing. The menu just disappears and nothing happens.. not even an error message.

Why?
Last edited by SlyPhy on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 10:50, edited 2 times in total.
dancytron

Re: How to know which packages will work in Xenialpup 7.5?

#2 Post by dancytron »

SlyPhy wrote:So I was looking for packages to run on my newly working install of Xenialpup 7.5 and I checked the wikka page to find this
Xenialpup 7.5 uses Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the Woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 16.04 packages.
So I want to load up Bleachbit 2.0... and went here https://www.bleachbit.org/download/file ... tu1604.deb because apparently it's a Ubuntu 16.04 package and as per above, Xeniapup 7.5 uses Ubuntu 16.04 and is compatible.

The .deb file installs, the Bleachbit 2.0 entry appears in the System sub-menu.. all looks great until you click on it... nothing. Not a damn thing. The menu just disappears and nothing happens.. not even an error message.

Why?
Sometimes packages don't work. There are different reasons. Some programs won't run as root. Some need stuff that puppy doesn't have.

Did you install it from the Puppy Package Manager or did you download it and then install it? Better to use Puppy Package Manager if you can.

The first step to troubleshoot these issues is to run it from a terminal and tell use what errors you get. Go to /usr/share/applications. There will be a .desktop file for bleachbit. Open it in leafpad or geany and find the exec line. Open your terminal and use that to run it. So, if the line says, "Exec=bleachbit", type "bleachbit" (no quotes) into the terminal. Report back what errors you get.
SlyPhy

#3 Post by SlyPhy »

Did you install it from the Puppy Package Manager or did you download it and then install it?
I had to download it on a different system and transfer it to a USB and install it that way because the system I'm trying to install onto has no network capability at the moment (needs an ethernet cable and I don't have one, nor can I get one till next week).

So I ran it from the console and it gave the error message ImportError: No module named gtk.

After failing to get this to run I have removed it and tried to load up the bleachbit1.10-1 from the Puppy Package manager and it told me it's missing 3 files.

python-cairo_1.8.8-2_i386.deb
python-gobject-2_2.28.6-12ubuntu1_i386.deb
python-gtk2_2.24.0-4ubuntu1_i386.deb

I googled these and found them on ubuntu.pkgs.org and copied these over and installed them. This time when I installed Bleachbit 2.0 it worked fine.

This issue is solved for me. I discovered that there is a bar at the bottom of the screen that if you click you get a list of dependencies.

Seriously, if I could suggest a change to the puppy package manager, it would be this feature - really confusing GUI. Why is there no button that simply says 'list dependencies' next to the package in the packages to install section... or anywhere for that matter?

Also, terrible English spotted in the same GUI - in the control above that the mouse-over text says "Remove item from list by click on it". Surely, "Click item to remove from list" is better.. no?
nosystemdthanks

#4 Post by nosystemdthanks »

SlyPhy wrote:So I ran it from the console and it gave the error message ImportError: No module named gtk.
thats a python error of course.
Seriously, if I could suggest a change to the puppy package manager, it would be this feature - really confusing GUI. Why is there no button that simply says 'list dependencies' next to the package in the packages to install section... or anywhere for that matter?
it is supposed to take care of that for you. but then if you download something offline, you have to look up the deps.

i agree that its not ideal.

most people are pretty happy with package management in puppy. i prefer apt-get to petget, but for the faults package management in puppy has (other than the one im always griping about, which im sure wont bother you) its really not worse than the package management in other distros.

they all have their faults.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]
rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

I am experimenting with PKG in replacement of the Puppy Package Manager.
so far some good success.... there are GUI's being developed as well for it

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112927
mikeslr

Don't run Bleach-bit before backing up SaveFile/Folder

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi SlyPhy,

Hope I've caught you before before you've run Bleachbit. If you search this Forum you'll find a post where someone destroyed his system running Bleachbit. Don't run Bleach-bit before backing up SaveFile/Folder. Puppies are designed to be 'binary-compatible' with a major distribution version, e.g. Xenialpup with Ubuntu Xenial Xerus. Generally --and for recent Puppies very successfully-- they can make use of applications created for the major-distro-version whose binaries are used; and Puppy Package Manager (PPM) provides direct access to such major-distro-version's repositories. But, Puppies are not identical to the major-distro-version they are built against.

Between the kernel (analogous to a vehicle's drive-train) and the applications there's a lot of infrastructure unique to Puppies. [Puppy ISOs are typically under 400 mbs; Ubuntu ISOs typically over 1 Gb). Bleachbit automatically identifies files for removal. Operating in an environment it wasn't designed for may result in actions that weren't anticipated by its designers.

On the other hand, you'll find reports on this Forum of Bleachbit being used successfully. But knowing that results may vary is a good reason to proceed with caution.

At the Top Right of PPM you'll see an action setting of Auto Install. The drop-down arrow provides other choices, the last of which is "Download all (Packages and Dependencies)". That's the one I choose when accessing other than Puppies own repos. I then combine the downloaded files into a Pet or SFS or both using PaDS, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 922#998922. SFSes are safer as they do not install into your system but rather are loaded and unloaded as needed. But as Bleachbit depends on python an SFS may not function as an SFS has lower priority than other components of your system and any python on those will take precedence.

Rockedge has referred you to Pkg - CLI package manager. I haven't had a the time to work with it yet. But I note that the recent update now includes the ability to create pets and sfses in addition to a direct install.

dancytron has shown you how to locate the name of an application's executable/binary. Once you know its name you can use Menu>Filesystem>pfind to locate it, then browse to it. Right-click such file and select ldd-list dynamic dependencies from the pop up menu. A "Missing" panel at the bottom will tell you what necessary components are not already on your system. Unfortunately, ldd also doesn't work when python is involved. But, hopefully knowing this will be helpful in your future efforts to obtain functional applications using other than Puppies own repos.

By the way, often the easiest way to obtain a functional application for any Puppy is to find it, when possible, on the Additional Software Section. Again, unfortunately, the previously made Bleachbit is for an older, different Puppy.
bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

In Puppy Package Manager(PPM) there are config options for how you want it to look and work.

Example:
PPm>Configure>Options>Use Traditional, Non-auto user interface

That one gives more info about what you are doing, but you need to tell it what to do for each step.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
SlyPhy

#8 Post by SlyPhy »

Thanks for all the info and help people, I really appreciate it.

@mikeslr, I've read a few horror stories about bleachbit chewing up systems. At the moment, it's early days for me so I'm wildly thrashing around and hopefully learning from my mistakes and I'm not too concerned if I have to start over.. yet. I will be writing a new thread on my experience trying to get puppy installed in the first place because I ran into some odd behavior that I'd be interested to see if anyone can explain.

Also, I have no net connection on the Puppy box yet - I live a long way from 'civilization' as it were and so everything has to be manually transferred over on a USB stick until I can get me an Ethernet cable.
mikeslr

#9 Post by mikeslr »

SlyPhy wrote:...Also, I have no net connection on the Puppy box yet - I live a long way from 'civilization' as it were and so everything has to be manually transferred over on a USB stick until I can get me an Ethernet cable.
Duh. :oops: Makes it kind of hard to follow instructions regarding Puppy Package Manager. :roll:

Perhaps knowing that Xenialpup's official packages can be found on the following will be more helpful:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-xenial/

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... es-xenial/

http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/pupp ... es-xenial/

There are other major repositories I don't have bookmarked. But you should also know that Puppus Dogfellow maintains 30 Gbs of packages for various Puppies, organized by category, available from this link: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 760#730760; and that if you don't find an application specifically for Xenialpup almost all applications created for Tahrpup can be used or used after slight modifications.

This is a customized google search engine for locating anything related to Puppy: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 and, as I've previously mentioned, there's an Additional Software Section, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=63 also organized by category, where you'll find many pre-packaged applications, and discussions about them.