Clearing Personal storage files on Live USB Precise 5.7.1

Using applications, configuring, problems
Marley

Clearing Personal storage files on Live USB Precise 5.7.1

#1 Post by Marley »

Hi,
I run Precise 5.7.1 off a usb flash drive - no save file - I just load it and run and put things on as I need them from pets (eg avidemux/vlc/synfig etc)

On and off my personal storage file 1.0 mb alloted gets full and the icon to the bottom left of the screen flashes red. Very ominous! :shock:

I have read that I should clear my browser cache - I use pale moon for the most part and sometimes Google Chrome through a pet - but even if I clear the caches it doesn't seem to help.

I uninstall whatever I have installed and still - nothing. I might gain some space back but sometimes like today - nothing. OM available.

What else can I do - or where else should I be looking for files tha are clogging up this space? Is it maybe some virus that got downloaded?

In any case I end up rebooting which solves the issue since it's a live USB Precise with no savefile but it would be nice not to have to reboot.

Thanks. :P

smokey01

Re: Clearing Personal storage files on Live USB Precise 5.7.1

#2 Post by smokey01 »

Marley,

It does appear you are running with a save file. This is your personal storage which is shown in your tray, the flashing icon in your tray. If this fills completely it will cause problems.

Any of those pets you have installed are actually placed in your save file. Are you sure your storage file is only 1.0M, that's pretty small.

To not use a save file add the following on your kernel line: pfix=ram

This means your operating system will run in RAM and nothing will be written to a save file. Unfortunately all of your added pets will not be accessible.

There are a few ways to achieve what I think you want.

Remaster your distro and then run it with the pfix=ram option. This will not use a save file but you will have access to the pets you have installed.

Another way is to make a Squash File System (SFS) file which contains the pets you want to include and load the SFS at bootup, once again with the pfix=ram option. Read this thread:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75423

Marley wrote:Hi,
I run Precise 5.7.1 off a usb flash drive - no save file - I just load it and run and put things on as I need them from pets (eg avidemux/vlc/synfig etc)

On and off my personal storage file 1.0 mb alloted gets full and the icon to the bottom left of the screen flashes red. Very ominous! :shock:

I have read that I should clear my browser cache - I use pale moon for the most part and sometimes Google Chrome through a pet - but even if I clear the caches it doesn't seem to help.

I uninstall whatever I have installed and still - nothing. I might gain some space back but sometimes like today - nothing. OM available.

What else can I do - or where else should I be looking for files tha are clogging up this space? Is it maybe some virus that got downloaded?

In any case I end up rebooting which solves the issue since it's a live USB Precise with no savefile but it would be nice not to have to reboot.

Thanks. :P