Which version of Puppy should I try?

Booting, installing, newbie
Senex

Which version of Puppy should I try?

#1 Post by Senex »

It has been a long time since I tried Puppy (4.2.1 'Deep Thought'). I'd like to give Puppy another test drive. The choices are:
Bionicpup 8.0
Xenial Pup 7.5
Tahrpup 6.0.5
Slacko Pup 6.3.2
I will be buying one of the above next month from OSDisc, as a 64-bit LiveCd. I'm running a Dell Optiplex 755 with 8GB RAM. So which version of Puppy would best suit me? Will any version connect to the internet on its own, without me having to fuss with the 'internet connection'? Never could get Puppy 4.2.1 online.

s243a

Re: Which version of Puppy should I try?

#2 Post by s243a »

Senex wrote:It has been a long time since I tried Puppy (4.2.1 'Deep Thought'). I'd like to give Puppy another test drive. The choices are:
Bionicpup 8.0
Xenial Pup 7.5
Tahrpup 6.0.5
Slacko Pup 6.3.2
I will be buying one of the above next month from OSDisc, as a 64-bit LiveCd. I'm running a Dell Optiplex 755 with 8GB RAM. So which version of Puppy would best suit me? Will any version connect to the internet on its own, without me having to fuss with the 'internet connection'? Never could get Puppy 4.2.1 online.
Your machine sounds quite modern so go with the newest pup, "Bionicpup 8.0".

P.S. You don't need to burn a CD if you don't want to but at the same time it is cool to see puppy benefiting some businesses. If you want you can burn your own CD or install puppy to an external drive (e.g. USB). We can help if you like.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Latest Puppy is presently Puppy 8 BionicPup

You can run it but can you keep up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibxDA_Kxdk

Puppy Linux
Running
Fast
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

For very new hardware, the newest Puppy version would be best.
Bionicpup64 8.0
Will any version connect to the internet on its own, without me having to fuss with the 'internet connection'?
If you use a Ethernet connection (wired connection).
That usually just auto connects.

With a WIFI connection, you do have to do a network setup.
But it is not really that hard.
Ask and we will help you.

Usually there will be several WIFI signals, in your area. Other peoples transmitters.
You have to choose your WIFI router signal.
Setup the access password to connect to it.
(hope you have it password protected so no one else can connect to it).
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Senex

Re: Which version of Puppy should I try?

#5 Post by Senex »

s243a wrote:
Senex wrote:It has been a long time since I tried Puppy (4.2.1 'Deep Thought'). I'd like to give Puppy another test drive. The choices are:
Bionicpup 8.0
Xenial Pup 7.5
Tahrpup 6.0.5
Slacko Pup 6.3.2
Your machine sounds quite modern so go with the newest pup, "Bionicpup 8.0".

P.S. You don't need to burn a CD if you don't want to but at the same time it is cool to see puppy benefiting some businesses. If you want you can burn your own CD or install puppy to an external drive (e.g. USB). We can help if you like.
Yeah, I'm being lazy and trying to avoid learning how to do that as long as possible. Last time I checked, between downloading and burning is like a twenty step process, plus add in the MD5 stuff, and I'm getting irritated just thinking about it. Also I sorta recall doing 'bootable' CDs/DVDs requires special software I'm not sure I have (ImgBurn & DVD Flick). I'm fine paying OSDisc $5.95 for a CD/DVD (paid over $70 for my last XP Pro install CD). Okay, so I'll give Bionicpup a try...thanks for the tip!

Senex

#6 Post by Senex »

bigpup wrote:For very new hardware, the newest Puppy version would be best.
Bionicpup64 8.0
Will any version connect to the internet on its own, without me having to fuss with the 'internet connection'?
If you use a Ethernet connection (wired connection).
That usually just auto connects.

With a WIFI connection, you do have to do a network setup.
But it is not really that hard.
Ask and we will help you.

Usually there will be several WIFI signals, in your area. Other peoples transmitters.
You have to choose your WIFI router signal.
Setup the access password to connect to it.
(hope you have it password protected so no one else can connect to it).
I'm a little too tin-hatty to fool with WIFI stuff. I only use wired devices. Last Puppy I tried required question after question to set up the internet connection, and I never managed to guess right consistently enough to get it online. That's pretty much a dealbreaker for me. MX Linux, Linux Mint and TAILS has spoiled me being all being ready to go from the start. Any sort of complexity is the dread enemy of XP users (along with CLI stuff). I'm hoping the current version of Puppy will auto connect.

jp734

#7 Post by jp734 »

I've had nothing but bad luck dual booting Dell computers lately because of UEFI. So if you want dual boot, you'll be better off with BionicPup and Xenial