How to recover Boot Entry? (Tried to install Arch Linux)

Using applications, configuring, problems
rameshiyer

How to recover Boot Entry? (Tried to install Arch Linux)

#1 Post by rameshiyer »

I have modern PC for my office works. As indicated by our Barry Sir in his blog https://easyos.org/install/how-to-insta ... drive.html, I have installed Easy OS and booted through separate GPT partition (640MB fat). He has mentioned it is very safe to install like this because if you don’t want Easy OS in any time, simply delete the GPT partition with Easy OS and no harm to Windows. Considering safety part, I have installed Easy OS creating partitions. I have also installed bionic Pup in another partition. Everything was going fine and booted through my EFI system (new GPT easy os). While booting, I got windows 10, Easy and Bionic Puppy Linux automatically after making some minor change in the rEFInd boot manager ( please see last part of installation note).

Unfortunately, one day I have installed another Arch Linux distribution under the impression that it can be accommodated or booted through Easy GPT partition as done for Bionic Puppy. However, Arcol Linux installed directly on Windows EFI ( I hope so) after that no Easy OS menu ( 2nd GPT Partition). Now while booting gets only Arcol Linux and Windows boot entry. How to go back to my old boot entry as devised by our Barry Sir. I would like to access Easy OS and Bionic Pup.

foxpup

#2 Post by foxpup »

Have you looked in your BIOS (UEFI-Setup or "EFI firmware interface") if the entry for refind/Easy is still there?
Also look if the Easy boot partition is still as it was.

I don't know if Arch is using the windows bootloader (?) or if it installs maybe grub2.
If you find grub.cfg (grub2) in one of the boot partitions, you could consider adding entries for Easy and Bionic Pup there.

BTW, you do not have to put vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs in the boot partition.
It can be on any partition, like the working partition. Just change the entries in the BOOT_SPECS and perhaps the refind.conf accordingly.
Tip: Use volume "label" to point to the right partition.
Example:

Code: Select all

menuentry "Easy OS Xerus 0.6.8" {
 icon /EFI/refind/myicons/easy-orange.png
 volume "puppy"
 loader /easyX/vmlinuz
 initrd /easyX/initrd.q
 ostype linux
 options rw
 submenuentry "Filesystem check" {
  add_options "qfix=fsck"
 }
 submenuentry "Commandline only, do not start X" {
  add_options "qfix=nox"
 }
 submenuentry "Rollback to earlier session" {
  add_options "qfix=bak"
 }
}
(I have all my Puppy's in an ext3 partition labelled "puppy", each in its own folder (easyX/ for Easy OS Xerus 0.6.8 ). )

jp734

#3 Post by jp734 »

I just did this, this morning. I had Window 10 and Debian installed on my pc and wanted bionic pup as well. What I did was edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom of my Debian linux installation and added an entry for bionicpup manually. It's not difficult as it may seem.

Here's a sample entry:
menuentry "Linux Distro" {
set root=(hd0,msdos6)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-88-generic root=/dev/sda6 ro recovery nomodeset
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-88-generic
}
all you need to do is edit the lines for "set root", "linux" and "initrd" to:
menuentry 'BionicPup'
set root=(hd?,msdos?)
linux /path-to/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=/path-to-folder
initrd /path-to/initrd.gz
sda will be hd0, sdb will be hd1 and so on....msdos? will be the partition on your hard drive. So for first partition on your sda will be hd0,msdos1. In your case you probably will have to use gpt? instead of msdos?.
Then all you have to do is run "sudo update-grub" in terminal and you should see an entry(s) for the other Linux distro(s) on grub boot option.