How to compile Gimp in BionicPup32?

Using applications, configuring, problems
navegante

How to compile Gimp in BionicPup32?

#1 Post by navegante »

Did someone managed to compile within BionicPup32? How? I tried with Gimp 2.10.12 and its dependencies, loaded down everything, tools dependencies and Gimp from source, tried with ./configure with a few dependencies and from the beginning it gives me errors. It simply doesn´t work.
(The workaround with Gimp 2.10 for Windows and Wine-stable doesn´t work either, it hangs while trying to open a file and I have to restart the graphical server, can´t even kill the programm.)
ozsouth

#2 Post by ozsouth »

Apparently Gimp have abandoned 32 bit linux support from v2.10 on.
musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi navigante.

Yes compiling works fine under UpupBB32 / BionicPup32. With its devx file loaded,
I have successfully compiled the latest urxvt and the latest MLTerm terminals on it.

Both are 32-bits versions. As ozsouth hinted at, one cannot compile a 64-bit application
from a 32-bit system.

~~~~~~~~~~

I am not a graphic artist (I only use mtpaint for my small needs), but look or ask around
this forum, perhaps there are ready made 32-bit sfs's of an older version of the Gimp program.

I do know that the special Puppy derivative "Vincent Van Pup" by former forum member
starhawk contains many graphic apps. You'll find a copy here:
https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_vincentvanpup

The forum thread for the "Vincent Van Pup" is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89395
"APPLICATIONS ADDED (to VincentVanPup) --
AutoAdjustPhoto GUI (image adjustment)
Ease (presentation software)
Extra Fonts DotPet (for LibreOffice)
GIMP 2.8.4 (the GNU Image Manipulation Program)
Google Chrome 26 (browser) [latest ver I could find as DotPet]
GNU Paint (aka GPaint -- WinXP MSPaint clone)
HPLIP Lite (for printing)
Java JRE (version 1.7u15)
LibreCAD (2D Computer Aided Design) [*.deb]
LibreOffice 4.1.2
LightLooks 9x Gold JWM Theme (from puppy.b0x.me)
LightZone (Digital Darkroom) [*.deb]
Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0.8 (email client)
mtPaint version 3.44.28 (slightly newer than the originally-included version)
MyPaint (very powerful digital painting application)
Tango Iconset (from puppy.b0x.me)
Wine 1.6 (Wine Is Not an Emulator )
XaraLX Xara Xtreme 0.7r1785 (vector graphics & illustration, with some bitmap support, from the Puppy Wikka)"
VincentVanPup is a few years old (2013). However it is based on the very stable
UpupRaring-3992 produced by one of our best all-time developers, pemasu.
I still run UpupRaring occasionally, without problems.

AFAIK, no similar Puppy has replaced VincentVanPup for graphic arts to this day.
Give it a try?

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)
rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

I have compiled simple stuff like pUTTY and Hiawatha to complicated and involved compiling ZoneMinder or Darknet-YOLO with opencv and GPU support. All of these have been compiled both in Bionic32 and Bionic64
Expanded the development environment by installing additional PERL modules using cpan or cpanm and added pip for python for working with object detection and being able to add modules for PYTHON.

as mentioned previously start with loading the corresponding devx_upupbb_18.05.sfs for your version. practice with ./configure and cmake

sometimes compiling more complicated packages and source code can be a black art so pay attention to all the parameters options and flags..sometimes compiling is straight forward and other source code needs the right combo of options and arguments to successfully build.

And when it is successful...you'll feel great.
mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi navegante,

I know gimp portable, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 426#464426 functions under BionicPup32. I think gimp-painter, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 276#747276 can also be used. But both can't be used at the same time. They conflict.

Edit: Having booted into BionicPup32 I can confirm that both gimp-portable and gimp-painter will work, and I found, work simultaneously. To get gimp-portable to work you have to decompress the tar.gz, then browse into the gimp-portable folder and Left-Click the Register-script. A listing will then appear on the graphic's menu. [Right-clicking the folder doesn't offer the Register function].

After loading the gimp-painter.sfs, with gimp-portable still registered, an examination of /usr/bin showed a gimp-portable script (which would start it) and binaries relating to gimp-painter. Clicking the gimp-2.8 binary started gimp-painter. But no gimp-painter menu entry was created. Examination of /usr/share/applications showed that its desktop file was a symlink. Selecting "Show Target" showed a desktop file which also did not function. Replacing the symlink at /usr/share/applications with an actual desktop file (manually created) whose Exec=/usr/bin/gimp-2.8 enabled opening gimp-painter by clicking it; but did not create a menu entry.

So there are three "easy" ways to open gimp-painter: (1) drag /usr/bin/gimp-2.8 to the desktop; (2) type gimp into a terminal; and (3) after creating a proper /usr/share/application/gimp-painter.desktop file, drag it to the desktop.
navegante

Thank you all for your replies

#6 Post by navegante »

Thank you all for your replies. Everything I loaded down was minded for 32 bits, I took care of that. The compiling tools do not work in my system. I am wondering where I can get the devx file or devx tool for my Pupi Linux version, I couldn´t find one in the package manager or somewhere else.
navegante

#7 Post by navegante »

I love Photography, so the latest version of GIMP, which has important advanced features is important for me. BTW, I am a normal user of Pupi Linux from nearly 20 years on. It´s my regular o.s. and my old laptops can´t run a (bloated) o.s. like modern Windows or Ubuntu. I consider myself as a user, not a consumer, therefore I won´t buy what´s not needed. In my country, Uruguay, I suggested to the Ceibal Plan people (the native version of One Laptop per Child) to release an approved Pupi Linux image for "obsolete" Laptops. Theft referent security systems makes impossible to install any o.s. not approved on those machines and young university students have to spend unnecesary money for expensive new Windows laptops. It´s good for the people, it´s good for the country, it´s good for nature.
Last edited by navegante on Tue 16 Jul 2019, 08:47, edited 4 times in total.
bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup32 8.0 devx sfs is here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... onicpup32/
The naming is a little confusing because Bionicpup32 started out as Upupbb and lxpup.
devx_upupbb_19.03.sfs

Probably you will also need the kernel sources sfs.

Can also get them from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... cpup32.htm
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
666philb

#9 Post by 666philb »

hi navegante,

i made a gimp 2.10.12.sfs for bionicpup32 using the packages available at this PPA https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulas ... buntu/gimp and got the rest of the dependencies from the PPM.
you can download the sfs here
https://mega.nz/#!AZN1BI6L!TPoXx2o_Mto7 ... Wp3KxNz9Ys

i only did a quick test so it may still be missing some deps
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
navegante

thank you all

#10 Post by navegante »

With kernelsources and devx from Bigpup and uninstalling every compilation tools I installed from the package manager I am able to compile. I am trying to compile Gimp with it´s dependencies by myself. Should I have not success then I will give the Gimp sfs from 666philb a try.
navegante

#11 Post by navegante »

I had trouble compiling some dependencies, so I used 666philb's sfs and it works but it doesn´t import raw (in my case dng files), very important for photographic work whithout loss. So it´s not useful for me. Thank you all again, making things to work in Linux is sometimes a nightmare.
bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

I had trouble compiling some dependencies
OK.
With no details :roll:
We will guess at what the problem was compiling some dependencies.
You did not do it correctly :idea:

With some details, maybe we can help figure out how to fix.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
foxpup

#13 Post by foxpup »

navegante wrote:I had trouble compiling some dependencies, so I used 666philb's sfs and it works but it doesn´t import raw (in my case dng files), very important for photographic work whithout loss. So it´s not useful for me. Thank you all again, making things to work in Linux is sometimes a nightmare.
This is not fair towards *nix.
Gimp, on windows and on linux, does not import raw. Point.
You probably have changed from another program on windoze.
You better look up if the program you install does what you want BEFORE installing on any Operating System you use, especially if it is that big.

And yes, there may (or may not?) be better programs in windoze,
but there may be better reasons to use linux or other open source.
That is your choice.

https://itsfoss.com/raw-image-tools-linux/
Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

With "darktable" (gimp-ufraw, UFRAW or even RAWTherapee) installed via PPM you should be able to set your import preference as outlined here.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Semme wrote:With "darktable" (gimp-ufraw, UFRAW or even RAWTherapee) installed via PPM you should be able to set your import preference as outlined here.
navegante, just to add to Semme's reply, the nearest Windoze equivalent to Darktable is Adobe's 'Lightroom'. Just FYI.....so it may help you to decide.

Darktable works well, BTW.

Mike. :wink:
navegante

#16 Post by navegante »

666philb´s gimp 2.10.12.sfs and Rawtherapee from package-manager did the trick whith opening dng files. I open with Rawtherapee the file, at the bottom is a "send to an external editor" button which once pressed, opens Gimp2.10.12 . Gimp 2.8 from the Package manager has additional plugins in the Package manager, so opening an external programm isn´t needed.
Gimp 2.10.12 needs Rawtherapee or Darktable for dng files. Ufraw didn´t work with Gimp2.10.12, while a Flatpack Gimp install from Gimp´s official web site worked with none of them, brought conflicts and convinced me to clean install Puppi again.

My failure with compiling some dependencies (before Bigpup´s devx and kernelsources sfs´s nothing worked, every compiling tool from Package manager also had to be uninstalled) has surely something to do with a non-clean corrupted system on the notebook I use for experiments. I just formatted and reinstalled Puppi (with nothing else than Puppi, devx_upupbb_19.03.sfs and kernel_sources-4.9.163-lxpup.sfs for compiling). 666philb´s gimp2.10.12.sfs is the latest stable release, so it makes no sense to compile it again. It works fine on a 32 bit system like mine.

There is something else important, Gimp 2.10.12 has 16 bit channel support. If you don´t want Gimp to convert your picture to 8 bit and to loose information, then you have to install it whithout having installed Gimp 2.8 before or you uninstall everything related to Gimp 2.8 and delete everything you find with the name Gimp. This worked for me.