Review of Bionicpup by an openSUSE User

News, happenings
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

tallboy,

I know we are all the same about using info on how to do things or finding and reading information.

Help! We do not need to read help! :lol:

When you start the Puppy Installer.
On the first window is a button.
Installation Introduction Webpage

Do you think that needs more information or better wording?
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
(33.23 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

tallboy wrote: (In all fairness, that has to do with woof's lack of support for saving back to multisession CDs.)
@ tallboy:-

Mm. Y'know, while agreeing with you in principle - like you, I run some pretty old hardware, from an era when built-in optical drives were common - you must remember that optical drives are a dying breed these days. Precious few machines come with them any more; modern laptops/netbooks are all about slim'n'light.....and it goes without saying that, given the physical dimensions of an optical drive, it was going to be one of the first 'victims' of this current obsession. And the technology itself is getting on for 40 yrs old now!

It's probably only to be expected that with older hardware slowly wearing out & being 'binned', and the majority of folks now using much more up-to-date gear, Woof-CE is only moving with the times, and supporting what's generally in use by the majority of Puppians.

Apart from ye anciente Dell lappie, I also have a much newer Dell Inspiron 15R, from the tail end of the Win7 era. It's got a Core-i5 with HT, and will run anything you throw at it. Still got an optical drive, mind you..... :lol:

I don't tend to use it very much, 'cos it's got an awful touchpad compared with its older sibling..! :shock: :roll:

(There are, of course, external USB optical drives; I know 8Geee's done some experiments with them, though I believe even they present their own set of problems when used for multi-session stuff.)

Mike. :wink:

musher0

#23 Post by musher0 »

James C wrote:
musher0 wrote:
Thanks for the research mikeslr.

That could be it.

But I don't think it was scsijon. IIRC, when the person who had experienced with it
retired, he launched an appeal on the forum to give away his research files in the hope
that someone would pick up where he left off. AFAIK scsijon has not retired?

I know, it's the usual needle (aka post) in the haystack (aka Puppy forum) problem!

Mind you, if scsijon would revive his project, who would complain? :) Although this
other person might have had some additional valuable hints to share.

BFN.
As best I can remember, the original Mageia pup was Drakepup by the one and only Barry K.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 928#540123
Thaniks also for the research, James C,
but no it was not BarryK,
it was someone lesser known.
(Darn grey cells of mine...)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#24 Post by musher0 »

Warning -- before anyone blows a fuse -- there is irony in this post! ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Said Mike_Walsh:
> Woof-CE is only moving with the times, and supporting what's generally
in use by the majority of Puppians.
As a reminder, there is always a way of doing that without ditching the ancient ways
-- and their users.

Tah-dah: Revelation: behind old technology, there are always users.
Remember those? :lol:

Once upon a time, didn't Puppy espouse the philosophy of saving old computers?

For the record:
a DVD costs 50 Cents and will last 50 years (Library of Congress study, IIRC).
a USB thumb drive costs at least 8 bucks and lasts what, 8 years?
Moral of this story: It's easier to make a thumb drive obsolete, IOW there is more
money to be made with thumb drives; hence capitalists the world over are
recommending use of thumb drives! :twisted:

You'll also find in the folklore of many regions some "Piper" tales: children (English-
speaking regions) or lamb (French-speaking regions) or even bison (Canadian Prairies)
who follow someone playing a cute dancy tune only to end up down a cliff
and skinned.

Buyer beware is what I say.

Anybody tried saving their Puppy sessions to a BlueRay disc? Is that even possible?
Maybe nobody among woof-CE devs has noticed that the BlueRay format exists? :twisted:

Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction, y'know!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)