Anyone installed Kdenlive and working?

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
catrielf

Anyone installed Kdenlive and working?

#1 Post by catrielf »

PC: Acer 5630 - centrino duo - 2G Ram

I installed Puppy ubuntu bionic 64 8.0 in one pendrive. Starts fine. Then i used PPM to install Kdenlive. The program installs, but when i use it for 4 or 5 minutes something starts to write in the pendrive and the laptop freezes. If i try to render one video, same. Freeze.

Then, i installed Xenialpup64 7.5 in the pendrive. Then using PPM i install Kdenlive. Open kdenlive. I put one video in the proyect. When i try to move any video to the timeline kdenlive kills himself. I open again the program and same results.

I have a little experience with Puppy, i looked on google, duckduckgo, all database on Murgalinux, and i cant find what to do.

I'm thinking to use Kubuntu.

Any can gimme some idea to still use Puppy?
Actually im using xenialpup 64 7.5.

Thanks.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ catrielf:-

Actually, unless you've a pressing, specific need to use KDEnlive rather than any other video editor, I would highly recommend Openshot. I have it running throughout the 'kennels', in every Pup; it's my 'go-to' video editor of choice these days.

The current, 2-series Openshots are now released as AppImages. None of them will run in Puppy.....largely related to its demand for Qt5, which is not all that well-supported in Puppy yet. However, if you don't object to using the slightly older 1-series versions (all the 2-series really add is more eye-candy & some fancy, supposedly more efficient ways to perform the same, basic tasks), then you'll find it very easy to render/process videos like a pro. It really is that simple to use, and it's lighter on resources than KDEnlive, too.

In Xenialpup64 7.5, you can install it from the PPM. Make sure to update first. Xenialpup64 has the options for both the 1- and 2-series alongside each other; in Bionicpup, Canonical removed the 1-series from the repos, so you only get the option for the 2-series.....and that doesn't work in Puppy.

----------------------------------------

I put together a mini-tutorial for how to get Xenial64's Openshot 1.4.3 running in Bionicpup64, if you're interested:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 73#1005173

----------------------------------------

If memory serves me right, I did manage to get KDEnlive working properly in one of my Pups, though it'll take a while to go right through the entire kennels and find it.

It seems very hit & miss, however.....largely due, I would guess, to having to install so many KDE dependencies to get it functional. It is, after all, a KDE app at heart.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

catrielf

#3 Post by catrielf »

Hi Mike. Lots of thanks for your answer.

I'm not an usual video editor, but i need to edit a serie of videos. When i asked, a lot of people recommend me Kdenlive. BUT... I have a special love for Puppy.

I will keep mi live Xenial and try with Openshot.

I searched with PPM and i have this two matches:

-openshot 1.4.3-1.2
-openshot-v2.4.1-x86_64

the first option is the right ?

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, catrielf.
catrielf wrote:I searched with PPM and i have this two matches:

-openshot 1.4.3-1.2 (my bolding)
-openshot-v2.4.1-x86_64

the first option is the right ?
Yep; you've got the idea. That second one will simply give you grief; it will not run, in any way, shape or form. And it wasn't for lack of trying on my part, believe me!

1.4.3 has been around for quite a while, and all the bugs have been long since ironed out. It's a solid, reliable editor.....and it's a piece of cake to use, it really is. If a dimwit like me can use it successfully, it must be easy! :D

KDEnlive tends to get recommended because it's been around the longest, y'see. Obviously, it works best in its native, KDE environment, but you need hardware with a fair bit of oomph to run KDE-based distros/desktops.

In case you need a tutorial for Openshot (some things are different, but it's mostly detail stuff; all non-linear video editors work pretty much along the same lines), then have a look here:-

https://www.openshot.org/user-guide/

Hope that helps.

Illutorium

Re: Anyone installed Kdenlive and working?

#5 Post by Illutorium »

catrielf wrote:PC: Acer 5630 - centrino duo - 2G Ram

I installed Puppy ubuntu bionic 64 8.0 in one pendrive. Starts fine. Then i used PPM to install Kdenlive. The program installs, but when i use it for 4 or 5 minutes something starts to write in the pendrive and the laptop freezes. If i try to render one video, same. Freeze.

Then, i installed Xenialpup64 7.5 in the pendrive. Then using PPM i install Kdenlive. Open kdenlive. I put one video in the proyect. When i try to move any video to the timeline kdenlive kills himself. I open again the program and same results.

I have a little experience with Puppy, i looked on google, duckduckgo, all database on Murgalinux, and i cant find what to do.

I'm thinking to use Kubuntu.

Any can gimme some idea to still use Puppy?
Actually im using xenialpup 64 7.5.

Thanks.
In Just: Don't use AppImage if you have at this...
Build Tutorial from Me: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116680

666philb

#6 Post by 666philb »

hi catrielf,
video editing on a pendrive isn't ideal, also editing can use a lot of memory so check that your ram isn't filling right up.

having made a couple of videos myself i can say that kdenlive works better than openshot on bionicpup64 and it was what i used to make the bionicpup64 video on the first post here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311 openshot in bionicpup64 crashed a lot.

however on xenialpup64 openshot works better and it's kdenlive that crashes :)

also with openshot, if you want to use the 2.0 QT version, it needs proprietary graphic drivers installed
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Phil.

Yah, I'd forgotten all about the issue that some current apps have.....that of insisting on the proprietary graphics drivers to work properly. They don't like the 'nouveau' drivers, do they? I think I'm right in saying that current versions of Google Earth are just the same; it's daft that Google insist on you using Chrome to view the web version, then refusing point-blank to implement hardware acceleration in the Linux releases.....which is the very thing it wants!

Did you ever try the workaround I posted in the Bionicpup64 thread, fairly early on, for mikeslr, for running Xenialpup64's Openshot 1.4.3 in Bionicpup64? I've used it successfully a couple of times, for short tutorials, and I can't say as I've noticed it crashing on me; that particular one is seemingly happy with the nouveau drivers.

Nice video, BTW! Looks like it's been fairly well speeded-up; no way did you get all that stuff showing in just a few short minutes. Not at 'normal' speed, anyway..... :D

Catch ya later.

666philb

#8 Post by 666philb »

hi mike,

i didn't try the older openshot in bionicpup64 as the bionicpup video and animations are 4k quality and 60fps, and so i really needed the multi-thread option that the newer openshot and kdenlive have.

i did use openshot 2 in xenialpup though to create a 20min 1080p holiday video. it actually worked pretty well, considering that it comprised 40 - 50 pieces of film chopped and edited inside the application. i did need to buy some extra memory though to be able to render the final film.

and yes clips in the video are speeded up between 5 - 9 times :D
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

catrielf

#9 Post by catrielf »

Hi Phil!

As you say, pendrive isn´t ideal, but when installed bionicpup+kdenlive in one 8G pendrive they worked fine (¿?¿?) except when try to render (all crashes) and the random freezes when the light of the pendrive blinks and never stop and the system freezes or become extreme slowly.

In xenial kdenlive can´t start.

I tryed Openshot, but theres a lot of functions what do not have and kdenlive yes.

Now i´m trying with kubuntu+kdenlive. Works fine, in some cases with a little lag, but when i remember i have 2G...
I will try gettin 2 more G of ram.

Thanks.