For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
stemsee

Linux changed everything

#1 Post by stemsee »

nosystemdthanks

#2 Post by nosystemdthanks »

well, that rewrites history a bit.

my take: http://techrights.org/2019/09/06/rms-track-record/
Saying that Linus Torvalds "invented Linux" is like saying that Stephen Hawking invented relativity.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

stemsee

#3 Post by stemsee »

Interesting read.

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

And complete ad utter rubbish.
I have never "heard" anyone spout such trash in my life.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

nosystemdthanks

#5 Post by nosystemdthanks »

Burn_IT wrote:And complete ad utter rubbish.
I have never "heard" anyone spout such trash in my life.
your critique is devoid of an argument-- it is a purely baseless assertion, which is what ive come to expect of you.

at least what youre commenting on makes a case-- you dont.

worthless-- does not even include one example.

utterly dishonest of you, but typical. shill.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

wiak

#6 Post by wiak »

I would certainly give Linus Torvalds a lot of core credit. The rest are just userspace utilities really (and they were bound to be developed by someone or other). Regarding these, we have the likes of:

Kernighan, Richie, Eric S Raymond (sed), Ken Thompson (grep), Alfred Aho (awk with others), Bill Joy (C shell) and Brian Fox (the creator of bash). Larry Wall (perl). Compiler gcc was written by many people (including Stallman's contributions). And the list goes on...

Personally, I feel there is too much fuss about Stallman. I certainly never use emacs (despite its renown and undoubted capabilities and less-than-ease-of-learning).

Writing that Linux kernel (way more than Minux) certainly changed a lot!

wiak

nosystemdthanks

#7 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wiak wrote:I would certainly give Linus Torvalds a lot of core credit. The rest are just userspace utilities really (and they were bound to be developed by someone or other). Regarding these, we have the likes of:

Kernighan, Richie, Eric S Raymond (sed), Ken Thompson (grep), Alfred Aho (awk with others), Bill Joy (C shell) and Brian Fox (the creator of bash). Larry Wall (perl). Compiler gcc was written by many people (including Stallman's contributions). And the list goes on...

Personally, I feel there is too much fuss about Stallman. I certainly never use emacs (despite its renown and undoubted capabilities and less-than-ease-of-learning).
i dont agree with your conclusion, but regardless thanks for making an honest argument.

wiak

#8 Post by wiak »

Well my main point is that everything is very much bigger now than anything anyone started off (tons of people developing everything onwards). But still, Linux kernel was the magic. I do understand that you nosystemdthanks are talking more about the 'philosophy' of open source, which is not quite the same matter.

nosystemdthanks

#9 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wiak wrote:I do understand that you nosystemdthanks are talking more about the 'philosophy' of open source, which is not quite the same matter.
its really not where i was going with it-- i really dont think that the linux kernel would be as successful without stallman (and this goes beyond the philosophy.)

but youre absolutely right that i think the philosophy is key and all. its funny, because i think On A Certain level, the puppy community truly understands that concept better than most communities. not in a concrete way, but certainly in practice-- everybody remixes distros here. at least "everybody" compared to most distro communities. so on a certain level that philosophy is obvious to everybody here. though once you make the philosophy into something black and white, its almost an alien argument here. this community is very, very casual about it.

wiak

#10 Post by wiak »

Burn_IT

#11 Post by Burn_IT »

As opposed to all the "sensibly" argued and supported views you put forward??? Most of which are personal attacks against anyone who holds a slightly different view to yours.

If anything it was DOS that changed everything.

Burn_IT

#12 Post by Burn_IT »

As opposed to all the "sensibly" argued and supported views you put forward??? Most of which are personal attacks against anyone who holds a slightly different view to yours.

If anything it was DOS that changed everything.

nosystemdthanks

#13 Post by nosystemdthanks »

Burn_IT wrote:As opposed to all the "sensibly" argued and supported views you put forward??? Most of which are personal attacks against anyone who holds a slightly different view to yours.
nice try, bucko.

a lot of it was a response to torvalds lying and being a hypocrite, and his own personal attacks. your first post is practically a claim that people have no right to defend themselves from lies and bs-- unsurprising, since you obviously feel entitled to subject people to both. after so many years, you think youve earned it?

the core of it was a simple fact-- torvalds took credit for a lot that he didnt do. for his entire career. theres just no way around that fact.

and again, the part about the gpl? when you get into details, he and i both give it more credit than his fans, i simply added to why he gives it the credit. but when you zoom back out to the outcome, the credit he gives disappears again. so youre full of it, but youre always full of it. youre just a bitter old troll-- a troll, a liar and nothing more. people disagree with me all the time, its whether theyre a lying dick about it like you that i take issue with. but you argue like a coward-- you lie and you cant quote. you rely on people taking your word for it. whatever.

Burn_IT

#14 Post by Burn_IT »

QED

foxpup

#15 Post by foxpup »

nosystemdthanks wrote:
wiak wrote:I do understand that you nosystemdthanks are talking more about the 'philosophy' of open source, which is not quite the same matter.
its really not where i was going with it-- i really dont think that the linux kernel would be as successful without stallman (and this goes beyond the philosophy.)

but youre absolutely right that i think the philosophy is key and all. its funny, because i think On A Certain level, the puppy community truly understands that concept better than most communities. not in a concrete way, but certainly in practice-- everybody remixes distros here. at least "everybody" compared to most distro communities. so on a certain level that philosophy is obvious to everybody here. though once you make the philosophy into something black and white, its almost an alien argument here. this community is very, very casual about it.
Yes!!!

The Puppies keep playing, thinking it is a free world, not thinking it could have been different or that it could end.
Thank you (whatever) there is RMS.

nosystemdthanks

#16 Post by nosystemdthanks »

foxpup wrote:playing, thinking it is a free world, not thinking it could have been different or that it could end.
and thats a broad spectrum when it comes down to reasons.

there are people who have read a lot of rewritten history-- theyre basically innocent, though they havent checked the story.

there are the people who know better then aid the rewriting of history anyway-- theyre just dishonest, some are opportunists.

and then most people are too indisputably apathetic (whether locally or globally, this seems to be the general status) to even get to that point. http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Li ... ase#Apathy

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

The only thing I'll spout is that the more I see the "evolution" of Linux, the more I realize Puppy is closer to Linux than the modern version of Linux.

Even Puppy is not immune, but resists better than most distros.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."