SynfigStudio, v1.2.2

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
Mike Walsh

SynfigStudio, v1.2.2

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, boys & girls.

Following a link from another link earlier today, over at BleepingComputer, I arrived at this FossHub page.....where it appears we actually have Linux equivalents for the entire Adobe Creative Suite! Which is good to know.....

https://itsfoss.com/adobe-alternatives-linux/

Some of the equivalents I would have agreed with, some I wasn't aware were equivalents.

PhotoShop <-> G.I.M.P : Yup. Deffo.
Illustrator<-> Inkscape : o-kay. I'll agree with that, though it surprised me.
InDesign <-> Scribus : Uh-huh. Yep.
Premiere (Pro) <-> OpenShot : Hah. I've tried (and sorta managed) to get Premiere Pro running under WINE. Didn't like it. As video editors go, I know which I'd sooner use, any day of the week..! PP; clunky, awkward to use. Openshot; smooth, intuitive, and so easy, even beginners can make a stab at editing stuff within the first 10 minutes.
LightRoom <-> DarkTable : Yep. And I think DarkTable's actually better...
AfterEffects <-> Natron/ButtleOFX : Errr....wha..? Never heard of 'em. Myself, I would say that for us here in Puppyland, Geoff's compiles of the two standalone Adobe 'plugins', Tintii & Urban LightScape, more than cover that angle...
Audition <-> Ardour : Nope, don't agree with that one. Ardour beats the pants off Audition, hands down. Stat.
Reader/Acrobat <-> Master PDF Editor : Didn't even know the PDF stuff was considered as part of 'the suite'. News to me. Be that as it may, Master PDF Editor, introduced to the community by festus, is one hell or a piece of kit. 'Nuff said.

----------------------------------

And now, we have another contender......to Adobe's 'Animate'. It's called

Synfig Studio

It's available as AppImages, both 32- and 64-bit. I guess these have been done properly (unlike some I've come across), 'cos I tried this in Slacko 560 earlier - quite an elderly Pup by current standards - and guess what?

Mm-hm. It fired straight up. :shock: :D (Which means that it does indeed contain everything required for it to run. This is an up-to-date version, running in a Puppy where most libs are now several years old, so, er.....yeah!) :)

I'm not really into animation as such (GIFs notwithstanding, of course!), but from what I can see of it, it looks a fairly capable piece of kit. So, for any budding animators/cartoonists amongst you, here's summat new to play with....

Downloads available from here:-

https://www.fosshub.com/Synfig.html

.....or here:-

https://github.com/synfig/synfig/releases

Downloads will need to be made executable before they'll run. Right-click->Properties. Tick the 3 'Exec' boxes, 'Refresh', 'OK'. Done.

Note:- 1.2.2 is the current, 'stable' build. 1.3.11 is the 'development' build, and may be full of bugs, so.....well, don't 'shoot the messenger'!

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink: