Instagram videos don't play in Palemoon (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

Instagram videos don't play in Palemoon (Solved)

#1 Post by wert »

Instagram videos don't play on palemoon. xenialpup and tahrpup.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Which version of Xenialpup?
Which version of Tahrpup?
Which version of Palemoon?

Got an example video?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jplt3

#3 Post by jplt3 »

Another way to play instagram videos (using mpv): https://www.instagram.com/p/B3-a3pMJ5cV/

and you are done

:lol:
Last edited by jplt3 on Fri 13 Dec 2019, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

wert

#4 Post by wert »

bigpup wrote:Which version of Xenialpup?
Which version of Tahrpup?
Which version of Palemoon?

Got an example video?
puppy_xenialpup_7.5 x86 and puppy_tahr_6.0.6 x86. all the videos I tried playing didn't play.

wert

#5 Post by wert »

jplt3 wrote:An another to play instagram videos :

mpv https://www.instagram.com/p/B3-a3pMJ5cV/

and you are done

:lol:
Thanks for the tip. I don't have mpv installed though. I use mplayer

wert

#6 Post by wert »

chromium_52.0.2743.116+pepper_22.0.0.209_lx.sfs works beautifully on xenialpup. But frames drop unless you uncheck use hardware acceleration in settings. It is a better browser than palemoon i.e. no crashes. It also perfomes better with facebook and youtube. When using palemoon or any mozzila based browser e.g. seamonkey to load facebook in a long duration will eventually crash on both tahrpup xenialpup or precise.
I've noted that later chromium versions are slower so Only use 52-

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

So your original problem is solved?

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

wert wrote:It also perfomes better with facebook and youtube.
.....which is really not surprising, given that Chromium development is 'sponsored' (read 'financed') by the same people that own YouTube.

'Big Bruvva' Google. Who else?

After all, it's in their own interests to ensure that their own products perform better than the competition with their other products.....

Anything like Instagram will not, I believe, work in Palemoon anyway. According to New Tobin Paradigm, the chief compiler/builder of Palemoon, the usage of the DRM WideVine modules isn't even a remote possibility. It's not even on the horizon.

Palemoon has absolutely no intentions of ever supporting DRM. End of. If it's HTML5 - or Flash - it'll work. Anything else.....forget it.

Mike. :wink:

wert

#9 Post by wert »

Mike Walsh wrote:
wert wrote:It also perfomes better with facebook and youtube.
.....which is really not surprising, given that Chromium development is 'sponsored' (read 'financed') by the same people that own YouTube.

'Big Bruvva' Google. Who else?

After all, it's in their own interests to ensure that their own products perform better than the competition with their other products.....

Anything like Instagram will not, I believe, work in Palemoon anyway. According to New Tobin Paradigm, the chief compiler/builder of Palemoon, the usage of the DRM WideVine modules isn't even a remote possibility. It's not even on the horizon.

Palemoon has absolutely no intentions of ever supporting DRM. End of. If it's HTML5 - or Flash - it'll work. Anything else.....forget it.

I think it's the browser engine that's better. I believe chrome which chromium is based on, uses Gecko whereas palemoon uses an outdated engine that older firefox versions used.
But I find chromium 50 more suitable while using xenialpup. It's amazingly effecient. You could even play video games on chromium.
The fonts are clearer and websites look better such as this forum with no need to maximize or zoom in i.e. the browser engine is effeciently responsive. But yes Youtube has more features in chromium 50 such as dark theme checkbox etc, faster loading times even on slow network.
But suprisingly google drive doesn't work well with it so I have to use palemoon for that.
I think in web design, browser support and target is what determines which user gent a site will work best on, which should be the one that it's most users use to access it. Youtube is for video producers whom I think would use high end machines like macs that can handle heavy duty graphics and hence a corresponding browser.
But facebook is a very simple website to crash a browser engine today so I think palemoon ought to adopt a newer engine. Xenial pup is a very capable OS to be marred by low capability browsers.

wert

#10 Post by wert »

Flash wrote:So your original problem is solved?
Yes but on my xenialpup installation only. The aternative browser's sfs if installed on tahrpup606 won't run there.

wert

#11 Post by wert »

I've confirmed that Instagram videos play in palemoon in dpup stretch 7.5. The experience with facebook and instagram is stable in the said OS i.e. it doesn't freeze after 20 minutes of looking at albums like all other previous puppies with mozilla based browsers.

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

wert wrote:I've confirmed that Instagram videos play in palemoon in dpup stretch 7.5. The experience with facebook and instagram is stable in the said OS i.e. it doesn't freeze after 20 minutes of looking at albums like all other previous puppies with mozilla based browsers.
Which is, as usual, another demonstration that for some things it's always better to run the newest software you can get away with, i.e., which your hardware will play 'nice' with.

DPup 'Stretch' is an amazing piece of work anyway, and one that I'll highly recommend from personal experience.