usb dongle not detected after swithing to xenialpup

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

usb dongle not detected after swithing to xenialpup

#1 Post by wert »

Hi. The usb com port ttyACM1 for my zte mf dongle isn't available. it used to work when using a previous puppy called tarpup but on xenial no. I've had to make a dualboot setup so as to boot to tahrpup then reboot to xenialpup again in order to see the ttyACM0 port that i can use pppdial to establish an internet connection. Please give me a solution
bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What exact version of Xenialpup?
Xenialpup64 7.5?
Xenialpup 7.5?

Yes, there is a difference!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
wert

#3 Post by wert »

32bit
Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Some details for the dongle itself would help, too. Um.....exact model no., make, etc. If you've got what I think you've got, the darn thing advertises itself as a 'wireless router', and they're a complete PITA to work with. I eventually gave up on mine as a bad job, and went for a wireless USB/hotspot combo instead.....which has been working happily for the last 2 or 3 years.

Mike. :wink:
wert

#5 Post by wert »

In tahrpup 6, whenever there's a fresh boot or the usb modem is replugged, there happens to be the alert boxes saying 'configuring usb modem' followed by 'usb modem is now ready to use'. But In xenialpup 7.5 32bit, nothing happens and frisbee's - Telephone Networks - Modem interface, says nothing dected, hence not able to connect to the internet. The modem is linux-friendly and has linux drivers and it's own proprietary software for linux in /dev/sr1. The software features a connect button, sms, phonebook etc. features. I installed the said proprietary software and drivers in xenialpup but when opened it says no device found, whereas, in tahrpup it works. The dongle's model is zte mf 192.
zagreb999

#6 Post by zagreb999 »

euclid5.iso has network
manager for usb wifi
support
watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

I would try with a prv savefile to install in xenialpup the same usb-modeswitch of tahrpup:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 2.4-up.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 120815.pet
mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Do try watchdog's suggestion first.

I know nothing about modems, but following up on his use of the term modswitch revealed on both Ubuntu Launchpad and https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/16.04/ubuntu-ma ... l.deb.html the following:

"Several new USB devices have their proprietary Windows drivers onboard,
especially WAN dongles. When plugged in for the first time, they act
like a flash storage and start installing the driver from there. If
the driver is already installed, the storage device vanishes and
a new device, such as an USB modem, shows up. This is called the
"ZeroCD" feature.
On Debian, this is not needed, since the driver is included as a
Linux kernel module, such as "usbserial". However, the device still
shows up as "usb-storage" by default. usb-modeswitch solves that
issue by sending the command which actually performs the switching
of the device from "usb-storage" to "usbserial".
This package contains the commands data needed for usb-modeswitch.."

Both provide a deb. In Puppy you only have to Left-click a deb and Puppy will offer to install it. The linked site provides the deb directly, while on Launchpad you'll have to keep searching for the correct version. [Webpages on Ubuntu's launchpad, however, reveal the original problem]. However, on both pkgs.org and launchpad the publication date was 20151101, which IIRC, preceded that of xenialpup 7.5. So it is possible that Ubuntu thought it solved the problem, but didn't and xenialpup 7.5 already includes that non-functional version of modswitch-data.

But if watchdog's recommendation doesn't work, you have nothing to loose by installing the deb from pkgs.org.

If that doesn't work, you might try either or both the usb-modeswitch_2.2.0+repack0-2_i386.deb and the usb-modeswitch-data_20150115-1_all.deb built for debian (8) jessie linked from here: https://pkgs.org/download/usb-modeswitch. Xenial Xerus is Ubuntu's mod of debian Jessie. There's a possibility that the debian version isn't identical to the Ubuntu version.
watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Interesting info, Mike.

If I'd known all that 3 years ago when I bought my own ZTE 'dongle', it's entirely possible I'd have never invested in the TP-Link hotspot. (Which is so much more versatile, to my way of thinking, since it can be used with lots of different devices...)

T'other Mike. :wink:
wert

#11 Post by wert »

Tried it to no avail. Even tried removing builtin usb-modeswitch and modeswitch data packages via menu -- setup --remove builtin packages, then reinstalling your suggested pets but still not working
mikeslr

#12 Post by mikeslr »

Hi wert,

Sorry that didn't work. You may want to try radky's dpup-stretch 7.5, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 590#974590 which --having opened its PPM I note-- has builtin USB-Modswitch version 2.5.0 and USB-Modswitch-data-20170120-1. These are newer than the packages for Xenialpup and debian-jessie. So, hopefully, whatever problem exists under those OSes has been resolved.
bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

From ZTE MF730M dongle support.
Connection problems.

If you're having problems connecting to the internet with your dongle, these tips may help you.
You should make sure that:

A firewall isn't interfering with your software - your firewall or anti-virus software may be blocking access to the internet or interfering with your software. You may need to switch it off when installing your dongle software or change some settings to 'allow' your dongle to connect to the internet.
The very first time you try setup, make sure the firewall is turned off.
After it gets setup. Turn the firewall back on.
Could also check to see if firewall is blocking some port that is needed to always be unblocked.

You've tried restarting your dongle. If your dongle doesn't have a solid green light, you are not connected. Unplug your dongle for about ten seconds, then plug it back in. This will restart the dongle.
Your computer has finished starting up before you try to connect to our network. Your dongle may not have been found when you plug it in if your computer hasn't finished starting up.
The dongle is correctly plugged in - the casing around your USB port may be stopping your dongle from connecting. If your dongle came with an extension cable, you can use that to make sure it's properly plugged in. You can also try plugging the dongle into a different USB port.
Your SIM is correctly installed - your dongle won't work if your SIM hasn't been properly inserted. When you insert your SIM card, make sure that you push it right into the dongle until it locks itself inside.

You have network coverage in your area - if you can only see one or two bars on your dashboard, you may have problems connecting to the Three Mobile Broadband network. If we're improving the network in your area, services may be interrupted for a short period in certain areas. This doesn't usually last longer than six to eight hours and we'll let you know about it in advance.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
jafadmin

#14 Post by jafadmin »

Before we "Try this", "Try that", and "Try the other thing", let's do a little investigation first, ok?

Open a Bash command console. Plug in the USB device and type this into the console:

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail -20
then press Enter.

Copy out that output and post it here. This will tell us what your Linux kernel is detecting when you plug it in, and so will tell us how to solve without guessing.

This could possibly be solved with a simple modprobe command in rc.local
cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

Maybe just try booting with no device in place.

When you reach the desktop...THEN plug it in and
see if it works that way.

Chris.
Peterm321

#16 Post by Peterm321 »

As per other posts a USB modem is not normally in modem mode when plugged in.

Unfortunately devices like these tend to be a bit Windows-centric. The idea being
there is a Windows driver on the device. If Installed already then modem mode
is auto activated. If not the device driver is installed and then the modem mode
is activated.

For Linux, it may not be the case that there is a Linux driver on the device.

Instead Linux has to have a database of modems, essentially a list of the
HEX product and vendor IDs. This is handled by the udevd daemon.

When a USB device is plugged in, udevd checks the product and vendor IDs
against a list of rules, typically stored in this folder:

/etc/udev/rules.d/

The relevant rule will match the product and vendor ID.

That rule might also have a string that usb_modeswitch
uses to place the USB device into modem mode or some other
method to achieve the same effect.

All fine and dandy if the udev rule exists, if not it may be necessary to copy and
paste the appropriate rule into the appropriate rule file. Perhaps a bit messy
for any of us not keen on tweaking linux system files.

Anyway this site gives a bit of explanation

https://dentrassi.de/2014/11/03/identif ... sing-udev/

Also Linux has a terminal utility, udevadm , that can be run BEFORE hotplugging a USB
device to give some info on how the udev system is reacting to that device

udevadm   monitor
wert

#17 Post by wert »

mikeslr wrote:Hi wert,

Sorry that didn't work. You may want to try radky's dpup-stretch 7.5, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 590#974590 which --having opened its PPM I note-- has builtin USB-Modswitch version 2.5.0 and USB-Modswitch-data-20170120-1. These are newer than the packages for Xenialpup and debian-jessie. So, hopefully, whatever problem exists under those OSes has been resolved.
It works there but dpup stretch is similar to tahrpup in that it lacks the features in xenialpup. The kernel is old. I already have tahrpup 606 instaled which is no different from dpups75. It was a waste of time Installing not worth the effort.
wert

#18 Post by wert »

watchdog wrote:I would try with a prv savefile to install in xenialpup the same usb-modeswitch of tahrpup:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 2.4-up.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 120815.pet

I don't know how to create a prv save file
wert

#19 Post by wert »

Peterm321 wrote:As per other posts a USB modem is not normally in modem mode when plugged in.

Unfortunately devices like these tend to be a bit Windows-centric. The idea being
there is a Windows driver on the device. If Installed already then modem mode
is auto activated. If not the device driver is installed and then the modem mode
is activated.

For Linux, it may not be the case that there is a Linux driver on the device.

Instead Linux has to have a database of modems, essentially a list of the
HEX product and vendor IDs. This is handled by the udevd daemon.

When a USB device is plugged in, udevd checks the product and vendor IDs
against a list of rules, typically stored in this folder:

/etc/udev/rules.d/

The relevant rule will match the product and vendor ID.

That rule might also have a string that usb_modeswitch
uses to place the USB device into modem mode or some other
method to achieve the same effect.

All fine and dandy if the udev rule exists, if not it may be necessary to copy and
paste the appropriate rule into the appropriate rule file. Perhaps a bit messy
for any of us not keen on tweaking linux system files.

Anyway this site gives a bit of explanation

https://dentrassi.de/2014/11/03/identif ... sing-udev/

Also Linux has a terminal utility, udevadm , that can be run BEFORE hotplugging a USB
device to give some info on how the udev system is reacting to that device

udevadm   monitor
Thanks. I'll try thinking of ideas based on that to try. But that reource is a 2014 one, maybe the newer kernels have different methodology so it might be a waste of time.
wert

#20 Post by wert »

I think this is a kernel issue. If dpup stretch 7.5 were to be built using the same kernel as xenialpup specified below, it wouldn't work with the dongle as well. think there might be changes is usb modswitching methodology in linux kernel. Kernel Release: 4.4.95
Build Date: Mon Nov 13 17:15:42 GMT 2017
OS Support: GNU/Linux
Architecture: i686
SMP Enabled: Yes
PAE Enabled: No