Tray height in JWMDesk is ignored

Please post any bugs you have found
InTheDogHouse

Tray height in JWMDesk is ignored

#1 Post by InTheDogHouse »

JWMDesk has has a 'Tray' tab which includes a field called 'Short dimension' for setting the height of JWM's desktop tray. The bug is that changing the 'Short Dimension and clicking 'Apply' fails to transfer the new setting to the file /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc.

A workaround is to edit /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc directly, putting the requested tray height in the 'height=nn' field, e.g., 'height=20'.

When the actual tray height ends up being different from the tray height in /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc, strange things can happen on the desktop. On my laptop (but not my desktop) application windows that reached the top of the screen would be surrounded by flashing white and/or dark at the very top of the screen, which became very irritating and distracting.

[64-bit bionicpup; JWM version 2.3.7; bug is in JWMDesk]

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Moral of this story:

use another tray (yan-han-han) ,
bmpanel or lxpanel perhaps,

and another window manager,
pekwm, echinus, icewm, waimea, wmx, etc., etc.,

NOT jwm, poor thing.

("You asked for it!", as the saying goes) :twisted:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

perdido

Re: Tray height in JWMDesk is ignored

#3 Post by perdido »

InTheDogHouse wrote:JWMDesk has has a 'Tray' tab which includes a field called 'Short dimension' for setting the height of JWM's desktop tray. The bug is that changing the 'Short Dimension and clicking 'Apply' fails to transfer the new setting to the file /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc.

A workaround is to edit /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc directly, putting the requested tray height in the 'height=nn' field, e.g., 'height=20'.

When the actual tray height ends up being different from the tray height in /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc, strange things can happen on the desktop. On my laptop (but not my desktop) application windows that reached the top of the screen would be surrounded by flashing white and/or dark at the very top of the screen, which became very irritating and distracting.

[64-bit bionicpup; JWM version 2.3.7; bug is in JWMDesk]
Hi InTheDogHouse,
Changing tray height in JWMDesk should change a line in /root/.jwmrc-tray
The line that controls tray height is

Code: Select all

<Tray autohide="off" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" width="0" height="30" layer="above" layout="horizontal" halign="left" valign="bottom" >
height="30" is tray height in the line above.

At least that is what I see when using JWMDesk and doing the adjustment you described.

I am not sure about /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc

I believe 666philb modifies his JWM from the stock puppy woofce
Maybe you should post a question in the bionicpup64 topic ?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311

MochiMoppel

Re: Tray height in JWMDesk is ignored

#4 Post by MochiMoppel »

InTheDogHouse wrote:T[64-bit bionicpup; JWM version 2.3.7; bug is in JWMDesk]
No, the bug is not in JWMDesk. If JWMDesk does not write to /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc then this is the intended and correct behavior. If you can change the tray height by editing system.jwmrc then there is something wrong in your system. Changes should have no effect. Maybe they do if you are not logged in as user root but you didn't mention that.

Most likely your file /root/.jwmrc or its <Include> files (e.g. /root/.jwmrc-tray) do not contain the height settings so that JWM falls back to the system defaults, which it should never do as all system defaults are normally overridden by settings referenced in /root/.jwmrc.