Unable to register

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
wiak

#61 Post by wiak »

Hello rockedge,

Regarding FirstRib being able to also build basic Debian-based systems, I think there was unfortunately some misunderstanding about that. FirstRib was always intended to be as multi-distro capable as possible but simply so I could experiment with using WeeDog initramfs with alternative basic firstrib builds. There never was any intention that I would take that further and try to build some alternative DebianDog-like system; for many reasons, I wouldn't do that, and because of the misunderstanding I sometimes regret even adding these debootstrap routines into FirstRIb. Frankly, I don't have enough free time to even complete the work I want to do with Void linux xbps so I was never myself going to pursue Debian builds in any major way.

At the time I added these routines, I did think Fred might be interested in producing a firstrib plug build since he certainly could do that with ease (I couldn't). However, a Fred-built FirstRib/WeeDog would I imagine end up being pretty much what he already produces - the only major difference in the end being that the initramfs would be independent WeeDog initramfs instead of Porteus initramfs or Debian initramfs. So not much point for even Fred to do that I guess, since he already has that area well-covered with his current DebianDog range. What I did imagine the Debian-related FirstRib facility perhaps being useful for was for simple very small builds (maybe just with one main app) e.g. for embedded systems with weedog initramfs, but again, that was and is just a possible facility and not one I myself had any intention to pursue.

My own primary personal interest was providing a new initramfs in a simple scripted form that could easily be read, understood, and modified by anyone technically so inclined. That interest of mine really arises out of the fact that teaching students became my professional career before I retired from that so I still am mainly interested in producing what I hope is useful instructional work that can help others learn (old habits die slowly...).

I've made no secret, however, out of the fact that I'm relying on others (such as yourself, rufwoof, Fred or anyone else good at such things) to do the hard-work plugin production for FirstRib if anyone wants a full working polished distro out of FirstRib/WeeDog build facility.

In theory, FirstRib could even be adapted to produce some kind of Puppy (beyond simply being able to use Puppy firmware) and perhaps that will happen one day depending on the likes of sc0ttman's pkg developments. But again, that's up to others - not me! (except that I'd likely be the one adding some kind of puppy-build routine into FirstRib, though I still haven't got round to the archbuild addition I was also intending and there are a couple of weaknesses in device detection I want to improve upon in WeeDog first, and I do have an inclination to incorporate some optional stripping utility to produce some smaller builds).

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Mon 23 Dec 2019, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#62 Post by wiak »

New tinylinux.info blog post re rockedge's new forum
Attachments
rockedgeForum.jpg
(42.85 KiB) Downloaded 135 times