I'm making a Puppy Linux Software Site

Promote Puppy !
XiaoSpence

I'm making a Puppy Linux Software Site

#1 Post by XiaoSpence »

Hello!
I am a complete newbie to Puppy Linux, but I absolutely love the idea of reviving legacy PC's to be good as new! I've lightly used Puppy Linux and found myself a bit frustrated with a couple flaws:
-Bootloader had to have PAE manually implemented on my Pentium M laptop
-Software organization is rather difficult for a newbie.

I'm hoping to perhaps organize Puppy Linux software by implementing a blogspot website devoted to such organization. Right now, it's a very alpha WIP site.
https://puppylinuxsoftware.blogspot.com/

Besides just linking to the original sources, I try to mirror software using Let'sUpload. I'm hoping to make Puppy Linux newbie friendly!

I have a few questions before I begin:
-Are .sfs and .pet files interchangable with different puppy distros? I need to know this well before I try to organize web browsers, office suites, etc.

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

XiaoSpence wrote:Are .sfs and .pet files interchangable with different puppy distros?
some sfs and pet files can be used on different Puppy's. Especially if it they are shell scripts, But most are specific to the OS they were made for due to the dependencies versions the packages were built with.

XiaoSpence

#3 Post by XiaoSpence »

rockedge wrote:
XiaoSpence wrote:Are .sfs and .pet files interchangable with different puppy distros?
some sfs and pet files can be used on different Puppy's. Especially if it they are shell scripts, But most are specific to the OS they were made for due to the dependencies versions the packages were built with.
Thank you.

Also, do newer versions tend to retain compatibility with older versions as well? I always want to double check on these things.

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

XiaoSpence wrote:Also, do newer versions tend to retain compatibility with older versions as well?
sometimes they do. But only testing will say for sure.

pp4mnklinux

Re: I'm making a Puppy Linux Software Site

#5 Post by pp4mnklinux »

FANTASTIC, MY CONGRATS !!!

XiaoSpence wrote:Hello!
I am a complete newbie to Puppy Linux, but I absolutely love the idea of reviving legacy PC's to be good as new! I've lightly used Puppy Linux and found myself a bit frustrated with a couple flaws:
-Bootloader had to have PAE manually implemented on my Pentium M laptop
-Software organization is rather difficult for a newbie.

I'm hoping to perhaps organize Puppy Linux software by implementing a blogspot website devoted to such organization. Right now, it's a very alpha WIP site.
https://puppylinuxsoftware.blogspot.com/

Besides just linking to the original sources, I try to mirror software using Let'sUpload. I'm hoping to make Puppy Linux newbie friendly!

I have a few questions before I begin:
-Are .sfs and .pet files interchangable with different puppy distros? I need to know this well before I try to organize web browsers, office suites, etc.
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

XiaoSpence

#6 Post by XiaoSpence »

Thank you!

Right now, my main priority are the web browsers. I'm surprised by the near non-existent organization of these things despite being a rather mature OS. A forums is great, but the organization can only go so far. Threads are easily forgotten after a few months despite having perfectly good software.

My site will provide PET and SFS packages and portable versions. I will not include Debian versions.

rockedge

#7 Post by rockedge »

I looked into creating a central location or repo to collect all the scripts and programs. But it was really involved sorting through 10+ years of forum and the different url's to find all of it.

Also there are so many good tips and solutions which could fill a book......

s243a

#8 Post by s243a »

rockedge wrote:I looked into creating a central location or repo to collect all the scripts and programs. But it was really involved sorting through 10+ years of forum and the different url's to find all of it.

Also there are so many good tips and solutions which could fill a book......

Currently there are over a million posts, as shown on the first page: "1038811 articles".
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].