Self-sufficiency

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
wiak

Self-sufficiency

#1 Post by wiak »

Harvesting some fruit and hazelnuts from back garden today rather than fighting for supplies from the supermarket. Lucky to have a garden, I know. But not much growing it it other than a few trees, and that harvest was pretty much everything...

Okay, truth also is that the family ate out at Thai restaurant at lunchtime, which was less than one fifth full, and had coffee at a cafe on the way home (sitting at outside table several metres apart from anyone else). Self-isolation not hit in a major way here yet (though being advised for the over 70s and any immune-system compromised individuals - also arriving visitors to the country are legally required to self-isolate on arrival, but all too many are hiring campervans and heading off against these regulations); however, I more than imagine that we might be forced to use our Moka pot sooner than later. We don't have no fancy expresso machine alas, and I'm in early days experimenting with the Moka pot having only tried making coffee with it once thus far (was almost drinkable).

wiak
Attachments
harvest.jpg
(34.04 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

wiak

#2 Post by wiak »

What a difference a day makes... All but essential services suddenly closed! Schools closed. Everybody to work from home/stay at home. Lockdown. Good move I say!

wiak

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

What a difference a day makes... All but essential services suddenly closed! Schools closed. Everybody to work from home/stay at home. Lockdown. Good move I say!
Yes, it is the sensible thing to do now. It will not stop any virus, but it will slow down the speed of the spreading of the virus, to allow the health services to cope with the affected people in an orderly manner. Hopefully!

I shudder when I think about what Great Britain, Sweden and USA will go through in the near future, with regard to their relaxed attitude toward fighting the virus. Especially USA, that has Trump, but doesn't even have a national health service. It will be one scary scenario in any country that doesn't take this situation serious.

The outlook for most developing countries, is devastating.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

Who says that the people in GB etc. have a relaxed attitude towards it??
The press will always only report the scandalous things - as they do all over the World.
Just because some incompetent/selfish/inconsiderate people grab the headlines does not mean that the whole nation behaves that way.
However, there are people who believe that running around in circles and shouting that we're all doomed does not help in any way.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

wiak

#5 Post by wiak »

tallboy wrote:
Yes, it is the sensible thing to do now. It will not stop any virus, but it will slow down the speed of the spreading of the virus, to allow the health services to cope with the affected people in an orderly manner.
Yes, the worry in New Zealand (that certainly also applies to Australia) is the attitude of "she'll be right mate" meaning that its okay to not follow the restrictions and things still will be okay...

An illustrative BBC graph showed how 1 person contracting the virus, if not restricted in their movement, will in itself result in 406 people catching the virus in 30 days on average via the resulting chain reaction (assuming 1 person goes on to infect 2.5 others within 5 days). If that infection rate of 2.5 could be dropped, via restricted movements, to 1.25, the statistic is that 1 person contracting the virus will result in only 15 people catching the virus in 30 days on average. Hence the advantage to be hoped from a 30 day lockdown.

I have no doubt the UK is having a problem with too many people ignoring the isolation advice (my daughter, who is in London, tells me that is the case). That kind of overly-relaxed behaviour is certainly a worry in NZ and Australia too.

So let's push everyone to please obey the restrictions - they could well work.

wiak

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

I rather suspect that it will be the younger people (as you say) in cities that always know better.
Plus they get bored easily when they have to entertain THEMSELVES.
I live in a quite rural town and I have already seen gangs of teenagers roaming the streets looking for "something to do".

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

Burn_IT wrote:Who says that the people in GB etc. have a relaxed attitude towards it??
The press will always only report the scandalous things - as they do all over the World.
Just because some incompetent/selfish/inconsiderate people grab the headlines does not mean that the whole nation behaves that way.
However, there are people who believe that running around in circles and shouting that we're all doomed does not help in any way.
Your prime minister seems a bit lackadaisical to me.

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

He's a politician,what do you expect.
Like all of them he does not want to be seen to be ordering people about and upsetting potential voters.
The English do not react well to being ordered about. You only have to look at history to work that out.

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

wiak wrote:So let's push everyone to please obey the restrictions - they could well work.
It would be better to encourage susceptible individuals to self-isolate.

Instead what we in NZ now have is a Nazi-style lockdown where officials pretend that we will be safe if people keep their distance from one another - but instead they tell us not to go to the beach (where there is plenty of fresh air and open space) and instead stay on our own properties (where increasingly the houses are tenement-style and cheek-by-jowl)
EDITED (To remove a substantial amount of bile and negativity I was feeling on the day)

Of course those of you who still believe that bats transferred COVID to pangolins and that pangolins transferred it to humans have failed to read or understand the commentary of high end virologists who scoff at such suggestions.

(Edited unnecessary personal negativity)

The new style tenement housing built up the road from us with almost no garden does not help self sufficiency.
Attachments
Quarantine.jpg
(44.26 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Last edited by greengeek on Fri 27 Mar 2020, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.

backi

#10 Post by backi »

Jacinda Ardern NWO (New World Order) Bitch.

Only Lies from Mainstream Media .....don`t expect anything from it.
Was the staged New-Zealand Christchurch false Flag Event ,which resulted in Gun Confiscations ,Part of a larger longtime Plan/Plot.....to bring the People in New Zealand and worldwide (defenseless) to its knees...
Next Stop is....mandatory Vaccinations plus Nano-Chip Implants ......subjugating to the New World Order ---One World Government---Capital ---New Jerusalem?
Just asking.

Problem-Reaction-Solution.
No Virus is illegal---No Borders --No Nations----------

Still Don`t know how dangerous this Virus really is.........still a "Mystery" .
Found something quite interesting/shocking.....will post it later on the "Ethnic Bioweapon" Thread.
This is not only Conspiracy Theory ....but Conspiracy Practice/Reality .
Attachments
ACTRESS JACINDA ARDERN -New Clothes..jpeg
(7.3 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Last edited by backi on Wed 25 Mar 2020, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#11 Post by backi »

Mushrooms as Medicine with Paul Stamets at Exponential Medicine .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7agK0nkiZpA

Comment below Video:
"This man is the Einstein of Biology."

ras

#12 Post by ras »

have failed to read or understand the commentary of high end virologists who scoff at such suggestions.
greengeek, would you be kind enough to post a few links so we can read too?
RAS

spiritwild

#13 Post by spiritwild »

personally, I could forage the back yard for a while. At least till the squirrels catch on. :)

tallboy

#14 Post by tallboy »

greengeek wrote:Instead what we in NZ now have is a Nazi-style lockdown where officials pretend that we will be safe if people keep their distance from one another - but instead they tell us not to go to the beach (where there is plenty of fresh air and open space) and instead stay on our own properties (where increasingly the houses are tenement-style and cheek-by-jowl)
You are absolutely wrong, greengeek. We have a similar situation in many countries, but the main reason for not letting people go to the beach, or into the woods, or boating, has nothing to do with the spreading of the virus. It is to prevent accidents or situations that demand the presence of health personell and police. It is a time to prevent the unnessesary occupation of a hospital bed and personell, by people who are accident victims, or suffer from other diseases, in a place where they don't live, and who are not infected.
Most larger hospitals can handle a small crisis, like many victims from a bus crash or similar accidents, but nothing of this magnitude. Local hospitals definitely don't need extra patients.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

@wiak - sorry about sharting in your thread. I should have been positive about self sufficiency but I was un-necessarily despondent and negative. I shall vacate.
ras wrote:greengeek, would you be kind enough to post a few links so we can read too?
Best I reply via PM i think.

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Back in the more positive original vein of the thread I thought I would post some pics of our havest.

We had an extremely dry summer (sympathies to the Aussies who have REAL droughts...) and the birds decimated most of our grapes and figs while the snails attacked everything they could reach from the ground.

The mandarin tree will be useful when the crop ripens in winter, and the feijoas that didnt drop off during the dry weather don't look too bad for eating in a months time.

Rhubarb likes cool weather so really struggled in the summer heat.

We have made some recent plantings of silverbeet and Mizuno (Japanese lettuce) which are starting to pick up as the dry weather ends - but overall we have pretty bleak pickings to get us through autumn and winter.

Thank heavens for supermarkets.

We got real lucky with 5 unexpected bananas coming through too. We are apparently a "subtropical" climate here in Auckland but bananas are not something we would normally expect.

We feel very blessed to have a bit of garden as many people do not have that luxury. Shame we do not have green fingers tho'
Attachments
RhubarbStruggling.jpg
(93.86 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Mandarins.jpg
(69.11 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
LatePlantings.jpg
(104.93 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Kale_and_Mizuno.jpg
(88.14 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Feijoas.jpg
(69.03 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Grapes_and_figs.jpg
(68.87 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
5Bananas.jpg
(71.83 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

wiak

#17 Post by wiak »

Wow, bananas! That's exciting!!

Sylvander

#18 Post by Sylvander »

Go to youtube.co.uk and search for "no-dig" [gardening].

Look at the videos by "Charles Dowding".
e.g. Compost Making