No sound in FireFox

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bill Haynes

No sound in FireFox

#1 Post by Bill Haynes »

I tried to use Pale Moon but.... it wouldn't download drivers for a epson printer because the Epson site ID'd it as a "mobile" app. It also wont use extensions such as FBPurity, and AdBlock.

Soo...
I downloaded Firefox and all the extensions work as expected, and downloads proceed without error.

But..
There is no sound in Firefox, Pale Moon still has sound.
Also Thunderbird crashes Firefox when verifying Email passwords in Thunderbird account setup.

Will these things be set in order if I delete Pale Moon?

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Bill Haynes. And Image to the 'kennels'.

First person I've ever seen name themselves after the auto repair manuals.... :D

Okay. Firefox. No audio. Hah. You wouldn't believe how common this issue is..... :roll: Not Puppy's fault. Not the user's fault. It's Mozilla, insisting on PulseAudio - like the 'mainstream' distros all use.....when Puppy uses ALSA by default.

So; we have a wee 'workaround'. We use the 'apulse' libraries for this.....which intercept the PulseAudio commands, and translate them into an ALSA format that Pup's sound set-up can work with.

Download from here, either 64-bit:- http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.12-x86_64.pet

.....or for 32-bit:- http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0 ... 686-wz.pet

If you don't already have one, create a Downloads folder in /root.....although I think the Mozilla-based browsers automatically create this if it doesn't already exist. Otherwise, just save it to /root.

Once downloaded, simply single-click to install. Follow the steps.

Close your browser down. Assuming you have made a save-file/folder, either use the desktop 'save' icon, or perform a re-boot. This ensures the change is saved permanently.

Once your desktop is back to normal, re-open Firefox, and try something like YouTube.....anything that should have audio. What happens? Any joy?

------------------------------------

In future, please, please, PLEASE give us some more information. Which Puppy.....exact name & number, please.....there's hundreds of them out there, and they're all slightly different, so instructions for one will not always work with another.

Make & model of PC/laptop?
Amount of RAM?
How was Puppy installed - to hard drive, or USB stick?
Full install, or 'frugal'?
Is Puppy running as a 'LiveCD', just trying it out?

We're more than happy to try and help, but we're not mind-readers. We're also not very good with a crystal ball, either.....remember, we're not there with you, looking over your shoulder. We only know what you tell us.....

Over to you.

Mike. :wink:

Bill Haynes

#3 Post by Bill Haynes »

Nah... Haynes is an ex wifes Uncle whom poisoned himself fumigating tobacco crops....

Sorry for the Omissions......
Its Ubuntu Bionic 64, on a hard drive install with 8 gigs of ram on an old Dell Inspiron 530. Full install

No Joy on the Apulse

Install pulse audio and lose Alsa?

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Good God, an old 530.... Vista-era, I would imagine? A mate of mine is still using the 'slimline' version, the 530s.....

Eeh, that brings back some memories... Not good ones, unfortunately. :roll:

O-kay. Well, there's other options....plenty of 'em. We've been developing a whole raft of 'portable' browsers over the last year or so. However, I have to say this; the 'full' install is really not the recommended way to run Puppy, certainly not with 8 GB RAM.....Puppy is designed to run as the 'frugal' install, and has been ever since day one, over 15 years ago.

The 'full' install is meant only as a last-gasp attempt for people who want to get Puppy up-and-running on seriously 'RAM-challenged' elderly hardware, where there is probably only 256 MB of RAM, or even less. The 'frugal' install is designed to load completely into, and run from system RAM for the duration of the session, and most Puppy software is built to work with this option.....it's the recommended install method. By running a 'full' install when it's completely unnecessary, you're depriving yourself of the chance for Puppy to really shine, and show just what it's capable of....

---------------------------------------

Anyway, that's your decision. Right; the 'portable' browsers. With a full install, you can't run these quite the way we would normally run them, so I would recommend running them the way that Windows 'PortableApps' would work.....from a flash drive.

If you want to stick with Firefox, then go here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 19#1025219

.....to download fredx181's portable downloader/installer script. This will download whatever the current version is, build a 'portable' version of the browser with it, along with the magic 'ff' script that makes it all possible, creates the profile inside the portable's directory, and adds the necessary few additional libs that FF insists on these days.

Make sure to follow Fred's instructions to the letter. Let us know how you get on with it, please; for me, at least, it just 'works'.

Mike. :wink:

s243a

#5 Post by s243a »

Bill Haynes wrote:Nah... Haynes is an ex wifes Uncle whom poisoned himself fumigating tobacco crops....

Sorry for the Omissions......
Its Ubuntu Bionic 64, on a hard drive install with 8 gigs of ram on an old Dell Inspiron 530. Full install

No Joy on the Apulse

Install pulse audio and lose Alsa?
Did you try starting firefox with the command:

Code: Select all

apulse firefox
?
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

For Bionicpup64 8.0

Get browsers from the program Quickpet (icon on desktop)

First there are some bug fixes for Bionicpup64 8.0

Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates
Reboot to make sure new changes are now being used.

For browsers.
Quickpet->Browsers->
Get the Firefox listed here.
Sound will work in it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tigerflag

#7 Post by tigerflag »

Mike Walsh wrote:Okay. Firefox. No audio. Hah. You wouldn't believe how common this issue is..... :roll: Not Puppy's fault. Not the user's fault. It's Mozilla, insisting on PulseAudio - like the 'mainstream' distros all use.....when Puppy uses ALSA by default.
Pardon me for a moment, gentle readers, while I get this off my chest:

"ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?????"

To make a long, complicated story short, after pulling my computer out of storage and hooking it up for the first time in three years because I didn't have internet until last month, I have been through hardware h*ll and back trying to get sound to work, first with Xenial Pup and now with Bionic Pup, even to the point of BUYING A FREAKING NEW COMPUTER, and all because FREAKING FIREFOX DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ALSA??? AAAAAARRRRGH!!!!!

Since this is such a common problem would the mods consider making bigpup's solution a sticky so nobody else tears their hair out over this?

Thank you for giving me back my sanity. Puppy and its community really are the greatest!

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Get mad at Firefox!

That is why Pale Moon was developed.
Some of the people that did work on Firefox did not like how it was being developed.
They left Firefox and started there own version of a browser.
Pale Moon

Quickpet is full of programs that have been packaged and compiled for Bionicpup64 8.0
They may or may not work in other Puppy versions.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bill Haynes

Thank you

#9 Post by Bill Haynes »

Ten thousand thanks.
Both the code solution and the quickpup solution worked (although the quickpup version is several iterations behind...)

As to running it off of the usb stick, I had a coupla ssd's laying about and just a few usb sticks so I cleared of the portable, put the OS files on the ssd and arranged a swapfile (for hibernation) and /home on a a standard 500 meg hard drive.
Will I really get a notable improvement by installing it on a flash? I would have thought the ssd would be essentially the same.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Will I really get a notable improvement by installing it on a flash? I would have thought the ssd would be essentially the same.
If both are connected by USB port.
The SSD may be a little faster, but not much.
If the SSD is internally connected by SATA. It will be much faster.

Well, really load speeds would be different.
A frugal installed Puppy is already mostly loaded into RAM.
So, after bootup, most of Puppy is in RAM already.
Reading from the save takes a little time, but not much.
YaPI(any iso installer)