Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
666philb

#1201 Post by 666philb »

linuxcbon wrote:Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Folder /root/.cache/ gets filled with many files like event-sound-cache.tdb....
Same for folder /root/.dbus/session-bus/ gets filled with many files.
I guess they get created at each bootup, so why not erase them at bootup or use only one ?
hi linuxbcon,

cache can speed some applications up, but you could install bleachbit and add

Code: Select all

bleachbit --clean system.cache
to /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown if you want it deleted
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#1202 Post by 666philb »

rerwin wrote:
666philb, please consider adding SNS-2.3 and NW-2.1.1 to your BionicPup Updates package.

Richard
hi richard,

i tried installing the newer packages into my running system as they would be installed by bionicpup64s update mechanism and it caused my connection to fail at next boot so i will probably hold off on this update for bionicpup64.

note that the update worked on my laptop but this modern desktop is a problem computer where network is concerned. it has a wired connection but sns fails & network wizard connects but not after a reboot . only frisbee works, something that would normally be just for wireless, but it takes a long time to connect.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

linuxcbon

#1203 Post by linuxcbon »

666philb wrote:hi linuxbcon,
cache can speed some applications up, but you could install bleachbit and add

bleachbit --clean system.cache
to /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown if you want it deleted
/root/.dbus/session-bus/ isn't a cache.
It gets full with dbus ids.
How to have dbus use the same id, instead of creating one at each boot ?

LateAdopter

#1204 Post by LateAdopter »

666philb wrote:
rerwin wrote:
666philb, please consider adding SNS-2.3 and NW-2.1.1 to your BionicPup Updates package.

Richard
hi richard,

i tried installing the newer packages into my running system as they would be installed by bionicpup64s update mechanism and it caused my connection to fail at next boot so i will probably hold off on this update for bionicpup64.
Hello rerwin
My new AM4 motherboard with Athlon 3000G behaves the same as 666philb.

If I try SNS it says: "There does not seem to be any network connected to eth0"
With the network wizard I can click: eth0 - Auto DHCP and it connects. I select keep the setting, but it does not connect at startup.

I installed the two packages you suggested, but there was no difference.

Note: Fatdog 800/810 Connects eth0 automatically, using the same kernel, without having to configure anything.

Maltese Fan

#1205 Post by Maltese Fan »

Hey everybody. I just downloaded Bionicpup 64. I haven't messed around with Puppy Linux since 4.0. I'm having problems with my wifi adapter not being recognized. It's a Realtek 8821CE LAN 802.11AC PCI NIC. This is on a new Lenovo Ideapad.
I tried all the wifi wizards and tried wrapping a Windows driver with no luck.
Any suggestions appreciated.

ozsouth

#1206 Post by ozsouth »

Driver here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=903 ... 3835032471
Install by clicking on it in ROXFiler, then in a terminal, run: modprobe 8821ce - should then be able to connect. Must choose save on reboot/shutdown to be available next boot.

TiredPup

#1207 Post by TiredPup »

The rtl8821ce wireless driver is also available in the "driver" section of the Quickpet application on the Bionicpup64 desktop.

bigpup

#1208 Post by bigpup »

TiredPup wrote:The rtl8821ce wireless driver is also available in the "driver" section of the Quickpet application on the Bionicpup64 desktop.
True.
But there is a catch 22.
The driver is added to Quickpet, after you run Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates.
You can not do that unless you have a network connection for internet :roll: :lol:
Here is direct link to pet package
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... driver.pet
Well, you still have to get an internet connection, with some computer, to download it :roll:

Note:
Make sure to do what ozsouth posted.

Or after installing the pet, reboot and save, so the driver is now being found and used.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

TiredPup

#1209 Post by TiredPup »

bigpup wrote:

PostPosted: Today, at 12:45 Post subject:
TiredPup wrote:
The rtl8821ce wireless driver is also available in the "driver" section of the Quickpet application on the Bionicpup64 desktop.

True.
But there is a catch 22.
The driver is added to Quickpet, after you run Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates.
You can not do that unless you have a network connection for internet Rolling Eyes Laughing
Here is direct link to pet package
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... driver.pet
Well, you still have to get an internet connection, with some computer, to download it Rolling Eyes
Good point about having to update quickpet. I had it installed on a desktop with a different wifi card and was able to download it that way and then copy it to the flash drive I use with my laptop that uses that same driver. :roll: for me too.

I also keep an ethernet cable or two on standby for just these occasions and would have gone that route if I needed to.

rerwin

#1210 Post by rerwin »

666philb wrote:i tried installing the newer packages into my running system as they would be installed by bionicpup64s update mechanism and it caused my connection to fail at next boot so i will probably hold off on this update for bionicpup64.
LateAdopter wrote:My new AM4 motherboard with Athlon 3000G behaves the same as 666philb.

With the network wizard I can click: eth0 - Auto DHCP and it connects. I select keep the setting, but it does not connect at startup.

Note: Fatdog 800/810 Connects eth0 automatically, using the same kernel, without having to configure anything.
Thank you, both, for reporting this problem. I had been unaware of it. But I have found the reason for the problem!

Along with providing the above-mentioned SNS and NetWiz packages, I should also have provided the corresponding network_connect_update package, but failed to do so. I have now uploaded it as network_connect_update-20190309.

Please install it with the latest SNS and NetWiz packages from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 876#952876

Mike Walsh

#1211 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Richard/Phil:-

Now then; try this one on for size.

7 times out of 10, I would estimate, Bionicpup64 will auto-connect for me at boot. Doesn't matter whether I'm using SNS or Network Wizard. This is with ethernet, OK?

The remaining 30% of the time, it refuses point-blank to do so. I use a static IP, but even so, I have plenty of indicators. pWidgets Weather widget won't come on. Thunderbird auto-starts & minimises to the tray with Firetray; I get the 'failure to connect to the server' warning come up. I have PepperFlash set to auto-update at boot, using SFS's auto-update script; the notification doesn't appear. And so on....

We've recently switched to TalkTalk UK's faster fibre plan, which necessitated a new router. However, even with the old router, it was the same story; the only way I've found to get the thing to connect when this happens is to re-boot the router, followed by re-booting Bionicpup itself.

I'd suspect a local phone-line issue, were it not for the fact that Xenialpup64, also running on this same machine, always auto-connects at boot. Reliably, 100% of the time. So....

....what d'you reckon might be the cause? Due to the above statement, it has to be something in my Bionicpup64 install. (And no; the issue doesn't change when booting with 'pfix=ram' without a save-folder. It still won't connect. Everything else in BP64 works perfectly.....aside from this one annoying, intermittent issue.)

The only thing I can suggest is that it might be something to do with my Nvidia graphics card, because I've found that if I remove this item and run with the G5400's on-die UHD 630 graphics, this never happens. Bill (rcrsn51) and I hashed this over briefly a few weeks back, and in the end his opinion was that it simply sounded like an unfortunate IRQ timing issue conflict. At that time, I was using AutoDHCP, but was always getting a weird, 'non-existent' external IP address. It was Bill who suggested I try a static IP addy; as stated above, this works fine most of the time.....but not all the time.

This is brand-new hardware, BTW, less than 3 months old.

Mike. :wink:

ozsouth

#1212 Post by ozsouth »

@MW - I switched to frisbee due to these issues - is slower but connects each time. My SNS is 23/2/19, so I should try Rerwin's 9/3/19 version.

LateAdopter

#1213 Post by LateAdopter »

rerwin wrote:
LateAdopter wrote:My new AM4 motherboard with Athlon 3000G behaves the same as 666philb.

Thank you, both, for reporting this problem. I had been unaware of it. But I have found the reason for the problem!

Along with providing the above-mentioned SNS and NetWiz packages, I should also have provided the corresponding network_connect_update package, but failed to do so. I have now uploaded it as network_connect_update-20190309.

Please install it with the latest SNS and NetWiz packages from here:
Hello rerwin
I installed the network_connect_update-20190309 on the copy of BP64 which already had the SNS and NetWiz updates, but there was no difference.

Sorry!

Mike Walsh

#1214 Post by Mike Walsh »

ozsouth wrote:@MW - I switched to frisbee due to these issues - is slower but connects each time. My SNS is 23/2/19, so I should try Rerwin's 9/3/19 version.
Hi, oz.

Hm. Frisbee, eh? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always understood that Frisbee was only for wireless connections?

So you've had the same issues, have you? Huh. Ah, well; nice to know it isn't just me; I was beginning to think I was jinxed! :lol:

I'll try your suggestions. Thanks for the heads-up. Cheers.

ozsouth

#1215 Post by ozsouth »

@MW - with ethernet cable plugged in, with frisbee, turn off its wireless detection & restart dhcp. Should be OK (I'm posting via it).

Mike Walsh

#1216 Post by Mike Walsh »

ozsouth wrote:@MW - with ethernet cable plugged in, with frisbee, turn off its wireless detection & restart dhcp. Should be OK (I'm posting via it).
Hi, oz.

I've just downloaded & installed Richard's newest SNS upgrade. Currently, it appears to be OK. I prefer SNS in any case; I've had to use Network Wizard to be able to set the static IP addy, but I've always preferred using SNS wherever possible. But in any case.....

....a few more re-boots will attest as to its ability to keep connecting. We shall see!

I will investigate Frisbee over the Easter weekend, and see how it copes with ethernet. I'll report back on this one.

Cheers.

gellert234

Steam Performance Mode

#1217 Post by gellert234 »

Hi 666philb,

I created a new steam package with steam without web renderer.
Steam uses less ram without a web renderer.

https://mega.nz/file/G5gwwaLA#8MvDb_V5E ... EfsS7TT5Eo

LateAdopter

#1218 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello rerwin

The problem is that dhcpd is not started. I don't know what is supposed to do that.

All I have to do is run /usr/sbin/dhcpcd in a terminal and the network connects, as it is now.

This is what it says in the terminal:

dhcpcd[5675]: version 6.6.2 starting
dhcpcd[5675]: all: IPv6 kernel autoconf disabled
dhcpcd[5675]: eth0: adding address fe80::1b46:f7cc:3777:1107
dhcpcd[5675]: if_addaddress6: Operation not supported
dhcpcd[5675]: script_runreason: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks: WEXITSTATUS 1
dhcpcd[5675]: no interfaces have a carrier
dhcpcd[5675]: forked to background, child pid 5713

rerwin

#1219 Post by rerwin »

I have replaced the network_connect_update-20190309 package with a more appropriate update, network_connect_update-20200410-beta. The earlier package contained support for a tool that was withdrawn. The new package contains only copies from woofCE that were updated after the network_connect_update-20180930 package, including one already in BionicPup64.

It is a "beta" because I inserted tracing in the two scripts involved in boot-up, to start troubleshooting the problems reported above. (Be sure to uninstall 20190309 before installing the replacement.)

Anyone still unable to reconnect upon reboot, please continue working with me but in the network_connect thread:
which is where the newest package resides. Let's not hijack this thread while we try to resolve the problem.

Specifically, please test the default detection of eth0 before configuring a network manager. Then test with SNS. For any failures to connect, please immediately save and then send me the file, /tmp/bootsysinit.log, which will have the traces I need to see.

Thank you.
Richard

ramildialoja

#1220 Post by ramildialoja »

hi

I tried installing the TOR thru the quickpet but its not working. has anyone made it to work? any help please.

The error says:

The proxy server is refusing connections
Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.
Last edited by ramildialoja on Mon 13 Apr 2020, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.