uPupBB 32 | Geany shrunk to drag-bar

Please post any bugs you have found
LNSmith

uPupBB 32 | Geany shrunk to drag-bar

#1 Post by LNSmith »

G'day All,

A concise description of what happened:

(1) Working with uPupBB(32) - editing a small file with Geany.
(2) Rolled the scroll-wheel (on the mouse)
(3) Geany "disappeared" - or more precisely vanished so I could only see the drag/location bar (and 3 orange/green/red control buttons).
(4) Panic. Nothing I can do appears to restore the file (or the save menu)
(5) After some time, on the bar at the bottom of the screen, I noticed I could 'maximize Y' (for Geany). Figured 'X/Y' referred to Window size. Did that.
(6) Bingo! Everything came good. Saved file. Made the sign of the cross. Drank coffee. Went to bed happy. That's life.

Comment: I suspect this is NOT a bug, but perhaps. I suspect that the mouse pointer was 'somewhere' and I invoked an action that is there by design.
I cannot reproduce the problem.
I would not like others to experience this problem. My escape came from (a) luck and (b) knowing there is often a work-around and looking.
My system is working well. Very weil. Only recent prob with system: Light Browser ties itself in a knot. I can tell when this happens bec. (1) mouse pointer hesitates (2) CPU fan speed increases. When I kill 'Light" fan speed drops. (This is NOT the bug of interest here. Don't tell me about light.)

Reason for report: So others don't lose work. This (for me) is a once-only problem and I don't give a damn about it.

Leslie in AU.

My system; uPupBB-32 - BionicPup32 19.03 JWM v2.3.7 : xwin jwm
My hardware: P4 from about 2005 + 2GiB RAM. Cheap mouse.
Motherboard Vendor: Intel Corporation.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Running at the time: LXTerminal, ROX (2 copies) Geany (maybe Light plus other trivia).

ozsouth

#2 Post by ozsouth »

Les, this sounds like shading - if you hover over the title bar of a program & scroll, it 'rolls up' the window so only the title bar is left. If this is your problem, must edit /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc , adding noshade option as per picture in post below, then run fixmenus in a terminal & restart X.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 58#1044258

LNSmith

Geany shrunk to drag-bar

#3 Post by LNSmith »

Hello Oz-south:
Les, this sounds like shading - if you hover over the title bar of a program & scroll ...
I believe you have it. I'm run off my legs at the moment, but I'll try your solution soon. Thanks for the info.

I have (to some extent) resisted the idea of changing Puppy's general set-up. My goal is to 'use' Puppy not modify it. The genius of Puppy is small size and easy (almost instant) installation. I can re-install the system when/if it needs updating). Also, Puppy appears to be very stable. The genius of Windows is to be 'all things to all men' but that has a price too. I can do things with Puppy I can't do with Windows. End of rant.