Discord chat programme in BionicPup32

Booting, installing, newbie
Mr Henderson

Discord chat programme in BionicPup32

#1 Post by Mr Henderson »

I installed BionicPup32 (uPup Bionic Beaver) on an old laptop yesterday with the specific purpose of running Discord on it. Using the package manager, I then (allegedly) installed Discord from Ubunti-bionic-universe. Package manager now reports it as 'already installed'. But it doesn't show in the Applications menu, nor the 'Run' box, so I don't see any way to start it. There do not seem to be any dependency problems. Any ideas?

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

I didn't think there was a Discord client as such available via PPM.
What is the name of the program you installed, was it purple-discord ?
If so, this is a plugin for Pidgin and you will need to also install pidgin_2.12.0 via PPM and then open Menu>Internet>Pidgin Internet Messenger
Choose Discord from the drop-down list of available protocols and enter your login details. I have never tried to use it but suspect it is only a limited form of IM messaging over Discord.
Oscar in England

Mr Henderson

#3 Post by Mr Henderson »

It was indeed purple-discord. I will do as you suggest and see how it goes. I saw that it was a plugin, but there was nothing to say that it needed Pidgin. Thank you very much.

Mr Henderson

#4 Post by Mr Henderson »

It works! But no voice chat. Still, better than nothing. Thank you again.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mr Henderson:-

Discord, I'm sorry to say, has gone the same way most things are going nowadays.....64-bit ONLY. As such, this unfortunately means that anybody wanting to use the Discord desktop client on an older, non-64-bit machine is s**t out of luck!

The .deb download from Discord's website works OOTB in both Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64. It's handy for me, 'cos as a moderator over at BleepingComputer, I have to able to access BC's Discord server, too. There is the web-client, but I've never been able to access it via this without a shed-load of messing about; there seems to be summat fundamentally 'broken' with the sign-in procedure.....at least on Linux.

With the desktop client, I can leave it open on a second workspace while I'm "on duty" at the BC website. Works great!

(Due to your enquiry, I've just discovered the Ripcord desktop client for "group-centric services like Slack and Discord", to quote the sales pitch. Again, it's 64-bit only, I'm afraid - an AppImage, this time. I'll try this out later this evening in Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64, and report back.)

Mike. :wink: