PupMTP 1.2 - Mount MTP devices

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
watchdog

#21 Post by watchdog »

gychang

#22 Post by gychang »

watchdog wrote:Try yandex link:

https://yadi.sk/d/7lG0cpNg5AGFMg
That link works, thanks. After installing and rebooting, my Panasonic FZ200 camera still not detected by pupmtp but "seen" in pmount as before.

I am using BionicPup64...
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

mistfire

#23 Post by mistfire »

@gychang it means your camera only supports USB mass storage not MTP. If you have a later android just plug it to your pc. Tap USB OPTIONS and select File Transfer or MTP

watchdog

#24 Post by watchdog »

Bionicpup64 already has MTP handling. MTP is designed to handle android devices. For a Camera I would suggest Pupcamera-2.0 which uses PTP protocol:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 53e39ebb8d

I can't help more.

gychang

#25 Post by gychang »

watchdog wrote:Bionicpup64 already has MTP handling. MTP is designed to handle android devices. For a Camera I would suggest Pupcamera-2.0 which uses PTP protocol:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 53e39ebb8d

I can't help more.
thanks for helping anyway.
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

OscarTalks

#26 Post by OscarTalks »

mistfire wrote:I wonder if someone compiled a 64-bit version of simple-mtpfs and libmtp?
I would always recommend that people compile from source in the Puppy version they are using, but here are a couple of packages which I compiled in Slacko 6.3.0 (Slackware 14.1) which may work in other 64bit Puppies but people should test and explore options such as installing via PPM.
Tahr64 Xenial64 and Bionic64 do already have libmtp and a MTP program but if users want to try this one I have added some builds of simple-mtpfs
Attachments
simple-mtpfs-0.3.0-x86_64-tahr.pet
Compiled in 64bit TahrPup
(41.27 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
simple-mtpfs-0.3.0-x86_64-xenial.pet
Compiled in 64bit XenialPup
(51.05 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
libmtp-1.1.16-x86_64-slack14.1.pet
Compiled with ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-udev=/lib/udev
(204.38 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
simple-mtpfs-0.3.0-x86_64-slack14.1.pet
Compiled in 64bit Slacko 6.3.0 (Slackware 14.1)
(51.15 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Last edited by OscarTalks on Fri 14 Jun 2019, 15:57, edited 2 times in total.
Oscar in England

mistfire

#27 Post by mistfire »

@OscarTalks thanks for uploading 64-bit version. I put the link for 64-bit version of libmtp and simple-mtpfs on the first post of this thread

watchdog

#28 Post by watchdog »

In bionicpup64 the built-in MTP connection failed to download the Camera dir of a Mediacom Android 8.1 tablet. Unstable connection. The connection was accomplished flawlessly with pupmtp-1.0-x86_64.pet which I have posted. I used libmtp from repo.

mistfire

#29 Post by mistfire »

simple-mtpfs is now available at puppy repo under common32 and common64 folder

MochiMoppel

#30 Post by MochiMoppel »

Same distro as greengeek (slacko 5.6). Results are mixed.
Works for my 3 year old no-name Android smartphone
Does not work for my relatively new Asus ZenPhone Max Pro

Script detects an "AsusMemoPad_7_(ME572CL)"
The "MOUNT" button does nothing and loops back to the dialog.

Running in console displays error message: "Could not retrieve device storage.
For android phones make sure the screen is unlocked
".

Screen is unlocked. Anything else I can do?

Burn_IT

#31 Post by Burn_IT »

I think that one of the problems is that MTP is not a rigidly defined protocol and implementations both of the hardware and the software vary.
I have devices that work on with one machine but not another and some that work with the other, but not the one ( if you get my gist)
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

watchdog

#32 Post by watchdog »

In the past I have experimented with adbfs-rootless:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 39#1003539

https://github.com/spion/adbfs-rootless

It can be an alternative. It requires android-tools by PPM.

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

The fact that Debian uses jmtpfs instead of simple-mtpfs may be an indicator of something.

rufwoof

#34 Post by rufwoof »

I use sshelper installed on the phone, and provided you have OpenSSH installed in your Puppy nothing else is required, you just sshfs mount the phone. No usb cable required either, just have to be on the same LAN segment.

If the phone shows its IP as being 192.168.1.14 then in Puppy

mkdir /mnt/android
sshfs 192.168.1.14:/storage/emulated/0 /mnt/android -p 2222

default password for the phone is 'admin' but best to change that.

No phone 'rooting' required, just works. Once connected open rox or whatever to /mnt/android and drag/drop files around as usual.

sshelper even includes a paste buffer web service, i.e. open your Puppy web browser to 192.168.1.14:8081 (again assuming the phones IP is .14) and whatever you paste and submit there, will be loaded into the phones paste buffer (long press, select the paste option).

Downside is that its connected via wifi, so slower at doing larger filesize transfers than if connected via usb cable. For mtp I like simple-mtpfs (installed into Puppy). Which once installed and the phone is connected via usb cable, running simple-mtpfs --device 1 /mnt/android ... in Puppy connects via that usb cable. I tend to use that when charging the phone via usb connected to the laptop and/or when doing larger amounts of file transfers. IIRC you have to have the 'correct' type of usb cable to both charge and do data transfers at the same time (cheap store usb cables may not work as desired).

Both are handy when I'm running Bulldog (cli version of Fatdog), for instance if I come across a url link and I haven't got X running, then I just paste the link to by phone and view it there. Screen is great for that (cli based selecting, cutting, pasting text using the arrow keys and space to start, space to end selection key combinations). As is doing searches using the phones Google voice search capabilities.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

MochiMoppel

#35 Post by MochiMoppel »

Thanks to everybody for feedback.
It turned out that my problem was caused by the default ASUS settings: "Use USB for" was set to "Charge" instead of "File Transfer".
rufwoof wrote:For mtp I like simple-mtpfs (installed into Puppy). Which once installed and the phone is connected via usb cable, running simple-mtpfs --device 1 /mnt/android ... in Puppy connects via that usb cable
This works nicely. Thanks! Requires only simple-mtpfs and libmtp.so.9.

greengeek

#36 Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote:This works nicely. Thanks! Requires only simple-mtpfs and libmtp.so.9.
Hi Mochi, are you able to suggest a suitable source for those two utilities please? (Slacko 5.6 compatible)
cheers!

Moose On The Loose

Re: PupMTP 1.2 - Mount MTP devices

#37 Post by Moose On The Loose »

mistfire wrote:This tool will mount mtp devices. The mounted mtp devices will also show in Thunar and PCManFM (if pup-volume-monitor is supported). It uses simple-mtpfs to mount MTP. It supports multiple mtp devices
A fair while back, I started and then stopped working on a version of "pmount" that did the following.

1) When a camera or other MTP thing is plugged in a camera icon pops up like it does for a USB memory stick.

2) When the icon is clicked on it mounts and opens the mount point just like a memory stick.

My camera's battery died so I stopped working on it.

There were a few other improvements to pmount I was also doing.
1) When unmounting all, a failure of umount is handled like this:
-- Remember if any un-mounts worked
-- Remember that there was trouble.
-- Carry on down the list in event of a problem
-- if any worked and any failed repeat the process
-- if any still failed, repeat with the error pop-up enabled for 1st failure

2) Using the screen size and the numbers of items in the lists decide about adding extra tabs to the workbook or in some cases not doing the workbook at all.

Subito Piano

#38 Post by Subito Piano »

mistfire (and everyone else who helped) - kudos! Worked perfectly the first time on my inexpensive Samsung J3 Luna Pro. Too long I've had to rely on SD card USB adapters. This is great. Merci!!!
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)