How to use Broadcom BCM43228 in Bionic64? (Solved)

globetrotterdk

How to use Broadcom BCM43228 in Bionic64? (Solved)

#1 Post by globetrotterdk »

Yesterday, I was trying to get my Broadcom wireless card to work with Slacko64 6.3.2, with no solution. Today, I am trying to solve the same problem with BionicPup64 8.0, as advised. I have downloaded and installed the latest broadcom_sta with pkg. It reported that the .pet package had been installed and that there were no dependencies. I restarted and tried to use the Network Wizard to get a wlan connection going, however I found no relevant driver module. I also tried the following:

Code: Select all

# modprobe wl
modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.23
Not really sure where to go from here, so I am hoping I can get some help to solve this.
Last edited by globetrotterdk on Tue 02 Jun 2020, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

:D Do I know you?

Same opening post as in your other thread. Let's see if this one works.

In the event pigs still don't fly, post the output of the following. A lower case "L" opens this command.

lspci -nn | grep Network
If it loads but the firmware's not present, this'll tell us which file it's looking for.

dmesg | grep 'firmware'
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

globetrotterdk

#3 Post by globetrotterdk »

Semme wrote::D Do I know you?
Hehe :)

OK, this is really getting to be a pain. I installed the original broadcom_sta .pet package with pkg, so I ran pkg remove, to remove the package and everything was hunky dory. Rebooted and tried to install the package that I just downloaded by clicking on it. The Puppy Package Manager reported that the package was already installed. Soooo, I went to Puppy Package Manager and tried to uninstall it manually. Package manager reported an error - that no file named broadcom_sta-6.30.223.271_k4.19.23_amd.files found in /root/.packages/folder. Then it goes on with possible suggestions: No pkgs with b found (which sounds highly unlikely, unless it is only referring to user installed packages). Possible solution: Edit /root/.packages/user-installed-packages to match the pkgname and start again.

Not sure what the sane course of action is here. Should I just remove the reference to broadcom_sta in /root/.packages/user-installed-packages? Is there a way to get the database rescanned?

This brings up the issue of how to run the equivalent to apt-get update && apt-get upgrade or dnf update, to make sure that the database is updated and all of the latest packages are installed, with Puppy's pkg.

Lastly, of course, the question is if the broadcm_sta pckage that you suggest installing would survive an update / upgrade of the system packages?

Hmm. /var/packages/user-installed-packages appears to be the actual location of the file.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

You mean this original?
Kernel drivers are SPECIFIC. Skami I'm sure simply forgot to include the 64 bit after amd.
Saturdays was Slacko. Yesterday, Bionic.

Nowhere did I suggest using a cmdline.

==

Fine. If you copy whichever pkg you installed to /tmp, you can rt-clk, UExtract and view where things are.
Should I just remove the reference to broadcom_sta in /root/.packages/user-installed-packages?
==

Pup is NOT Ubuntu. Nor is BionicPup. A few utilize their pkg database, but, its pkg management is all its own. Pup has a pseudo pkg system, NOT a true cmdline in the sense of most major distros. Slacko is also Pup, NOT Slackware.

Pups documentation is scant @ best.

==

Surviving and upgrade is moot @ this point.

==

All that needed to be done was for you to clk your dwnld and confirm the dialogs - reboot.

Aside from the two cmds I left, you can take it from here...
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

globetrotterdk

#5 Post by globetrotterdk »

Semme wrote:You mean this original?
Kernel drivers are SPECIFIC. Skami I'm sure simply forgot to include the 64 bit after amd.
Saturdays was Slacko. Yesterday, Bionic.

Nowhere did I suggest using a cmdline.
I realize that issue is on me, as I used the cli, however a new user makes certain assumptions, based on past experience. For me, using a netbook is a bit fiddly as is, so I try to use the cli and an app launcher as much as possible so as not having to rotate through the app menu constantly.

I have no idea where the .pet package came from, just that it was default for the system when I used pkg.

At this point the best thing to do is to reinstall the system, as I also discovered that there isn't any active power management, so this way, I can skip the cruft and just install the .pet file you suggest.

I hope that you aren't taking my questions and comments as criticism. However, it is important for me to "think out loud", both to document the reactions of a new user, but also speculate about the structure, robustness and features (or lack thereof) of the system in question and try to put it in context. Any questions I ask are exactly because there isn't that much documentation (and some of what there is are made up of dead links) and I need to learn someway.

To be honest, if I can get this working, I might become a huge fan, because I can see a lot of nice things with Puppy Linux, but when you bump into obstacles, questions need to be asked. I am definitely not dissing Puppy, just trying to understand, though I do admit that some frustration creeps in from time to time.

OK, the driver works. On a reboot however, wlan has to be reconfigured with loading a profile that I have setup and then running auto dhcp before an actual, functioning connection to the wireless network is functioning. Not sure what the default behavior is on this...
Last edited by globetrotterdk on Mon 01 Jun 2020, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

No offence taken. Criticism for folks that can't handle it lack :wink: rationale.

==

Now, I tend to be results-oriented and so sometimes come across curt.
Winston Wolf: If I’m curt with you it’s because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you to guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So pretty please, with sugar on top, install the bleepin' driver.
That said, what's the output here:

lspci -nn | grep Network
If [14e4:4359], you have one of the following:

https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Broadcom_BCM943228HMB

https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Broadcom_BCM943228Z

Which may or may not require a closer look.

==

As for power management and under "System," Pup employs albeit a *modified* version of this.

==

Understood about launching apps. I have something for you once the smoke clears.

globetrotterdk

#7 Post by globetrotterdk »

OK. Here is the output:
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]

BTW, I think my edit and your post crossed. Please view the end of my last post. Is that expected behavior to have to reconfigure after reboot / shutdown?

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Hallelujah!

I lost my reply. Forum soft BLOWS!

Anyway, yeah -- gotta make a profile before using one.

In the event you find it unreliable, grab the 4.6 pkg here and follow the instructions.

globetrotterdk

#9 Post by globetrotterdk »

Semme wrote:Hallelujah!

:)) Thanks for your consistent help.
Semme wrote:I lost my reply. Forum soft BLOWS!
Wow.
Semme wrote:Anyway, yeah -- gotta make a profile before using one.
I have two, but I seem to be having difficulty getting one to load as default at boot. The profile has to be activated manually every boot and auto dhcp initiated manually.
Semme wrote:In the event you find it unreliable, grab the 4.6 pkg here and follow the instructions.
The connection itself seems to be OK when I get it running, although the local internet really blows these days, so it is sometimes hard to tell...