How to reboot or turn off Puppy remotely from Bionicpup32?

Booting, installing, newbie
mikprog

How to reboot or turn off Puppy remotely from Bionicpup32?

#1 Post by mikprog »

I use my puppies park puppets in NOX mode under bionicpup32. They are torrent stations, print servers, DLNA servers and renderers., etc. They are without keyboards, mouses and monitors. I use remote connection by ssh terminal session or windows version of xming to use remote xwindow session to control them. When I need to power off or reboot one of my puppy I can't get it. Commands like poweroff or reboot are accepted with no error messages but no actual power off or reboot happens. I can walk with my feet to the problem puppy and push power button with my hand. Then I will hear "woof woof" sound ad nothing more happens. I assume 90 percents of my intentions to poweroff or reboot are finished with hard reset button.
What I need to reboot puppy remotely in regular way for sure?

enrique

#2 Post by enrique »

UHM

Start by telling us what Puppy you are using so that we can replicate the problem. I do that all the time as I have a Home Theater PC that I shoutdown by sh all the time. Well mine is BusterDog. I will be testing Bionic just to see. But there are a few commands that can be used.

Now beware that if your Bios you have setup wakeup on lan and for any reason there are other servers hiting that server, well it may not go to sleep or shutdown. I give you a sample, I have a Goflex HDD that it is always advertising its present, like sending I AM HERE. That signal itself takes my HTPC and wakes it up. So I was force to turn of wakeup on lan.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Maybe you need to be in your remotes "wheel" group? Open your /etc/sudoers file there and have a looksee..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

enrique

#4 Post by enrique »

Semme I thought with Puppy we do not deal with sudoers? That those file are there only for compatibility issues. But if for any reason he did create new users with limited access then I guess that may come handy?

mikprog
Wao in Puppy they have this script that makes poweroff behave different depending on various facts. To be honest correct answer on Puppy is out of my knowledge.

Now I could suggest you could try also:
busybox poweroff
/etc/acpi/actions/acpi_poweroff.sh

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

mikprog, doubting you want [PermitRootLogin yes], Methinks this is the way to go.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

enrique

#6 Post by enrique »

Interesting how we all think.
See when I move to Puppy I assume all benefits and risk of working single sit as root.

Semme
From what you say, you Accept the Risk of using your MAIN Puppy Laptop as almighty ROOT where maybe your personal data is store. You are comfortable with that.

But you seems not comfortable in allow, let say a print server to accept your commands with SSH key that only you have. That for you is insecure? So you will select [PermitRootLogin no]

Sorry do not make sense to me.

This is mikprog list: "torrent stations, print servers, DLNA servers and renderers"

I forgot. That is a very nice link for installation. Thanks

jafadmin

#7 Post by jafadmin »

Since you are running remote X, I wonder if you don't need to run "xkill" on the target machine first?

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

to shut down remote Puppy Linux machine:

Code: Select all

reboot

poweroff
immediately after the command is given, the remote connection will close.

enrique

Re: How to reboot or turn off Puppy remotely from Bionicpup32?

#9 Post by enrique »

mikprog wrote:... Commands like poweroff or reboot are accepted with no error messages but no actual power off or reboot happens...
Lets wait until he tell us what puppy he is using, so that we can replicate at our home.

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

try:

wmpoweroff
wmreboot

mikprog

#11 Post by mikprog »

Thank to all for my problem participation.

My puppies are bionicpup32 as I wrote before. It is signed

Ubuntu Bionic 	x86 32-bit 	BionicPup32 8.0
on puppy download page http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download

I use bionicpup32 installed with default settings. So I'm root in local and remote sessions. And it is not matter what additional packages are installed to a specific puppy instance (transmission, gmediarenderer, canon printer software, etc) - every of them have shutdown problem

Wake on LAN feature disabled everywhere.

I use poweroff and reboot commands. wmpoweroff and wmreboot too. Effect is same.

Now I could suggest you could try also:
busybox poweroff
/etc/acpi/actions/acpi_poweroff.sh
will try
I wonder if you don't need to run "xkill" on the target machine first
if I issue xkill in remote session window then puppy X server will do action. But my puppies in nox mode so target will be missed. I'm wrong?
Instead I use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace in remote xming X window session. I don't know is it the same to xkill.

enrique

#12 Post by enrique »

Sorry I did not have time to do the test any sooner.

From http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download
I downloaded
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 0-uefi.iso

This produce: puppy_upupbb_19.03

On previous post I got the impression from some users here not to use OpenSSH from Ubuntu. So to ignore this fact I try dropbear. Sadly pet "Install Dropbear SSH server on Bionic64" was made only for 64 bits. So I end up downloading and installing dropbear from Ubuntu to make my i386 pet.

And this is my finding.

SERVER
I will run my puppy_upupbb_19.03 using pfix=nox

title bionicpup32_8.0_upupbb_19.03 (sdb2/bionicpup32_8.0_upupbb_19.03)
  find --set-root uuid () 01D25BB9765C3F00
  kernel /bionicpup32_8.0_upupbb_19.03/vmlinuz pdrv=01D25BB9765C3F00 pmedia=atahd psubdir=/bionicpup32_8.0_upupbb_19.03 pfix=nox
  initrd /bionicpup32_8.0_upupbb_19.03/initrd.gz
And I did setup my network wifi and drobear server with new server keys and clients.

SSH CLIENT - REGULAR
If I initiate doing

ssh root@ipserver
Then I have no trouble shooting down server with just poweroff
Server do in fact turn off automatically.

SSH CLIENT with XFORWARD
If I initiate doing

ssh -X root@ipserver
Then poweroff fail to quit as it call wmpoweroff and server will remain online with dropbear even on. I can open a second window and connect again.

I can use busybox poweroff and it will KILL the X-server and all and finally will turnoff.

*** Here is what I think we should do until this issue is resolved. ***

To turnoff gratefully we 1rst exit the window we initiated with ssh -X root@ipserver Then open a second terminal without X-Forward or ssh root@ipserver., Then regular poweroff will work as expected and server turnoff gratefully. It does turn of under 15 seconds. This make me question if in fact puppy save is been save. But it is possible as I did not have any grate changes. This one I need to test latter.

So conclusion close the X-Forward and open a second Terminal without it. Then do poweroff. Hope it helps. Please submit a bug report in " Forum index » Bugs ( Submit bugs )"

mikprog

#13 Post by mikprog »

So conclusion close the X-Forward and open a second Terminal without it. Then do poweroff. Hope it helps. Please submit a bug report in " Forum index » Bugs ( Submit bugs )"
Unexpectedly deep investigation you done. Thank you enrique. Have you did experiments with hardware power button too? Anyway you feel problem and can explain it better than I can do. Please, report this bug by yourself if it is possible.