how to ruin puppy ? Rename 1 file

Using applications, configuring, problems
fabrice_035

how to ruin puppy ? Rename 1 file

#1 Post by fabrice_035 »

and yes, there are some things you shouldn't do at night before going to bed at the risk of not sleeping well.
by wanting to use a new software an error tells me that libc.so.6 is not in the right version.
in fact libc-2.27.so is obsolete and a higher version is needed.
well I don't advise you to touch/rename this file because immediately puppy doesn't work anymore.
you can't do anything anymore, not even go back.
and since your puppy's on lockdown, then...
the following experiment is also interesting.
I restart on a backup and I return to put in order this famous file.
except it becomes impossible to revive puppy normally.
I should have taken a picture but a mistake that contains "sincing... " (
the puppy's really stuck
I kind of stumbled upon the solution. Because I started by testing the .3fs file which contained no errors.
after copying my personal .3fs file to an external support I copied it back to the original support (the hard disk) and it booted correctly. probably a read-only blocked file or something else?
Now, don't tickle the puppy too much.

all's well that ends well
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

LNSmith

How to ruin a puppy? Rename one file

#2 Post by LNSmith »

Some time ago - when I used Windows - I discovered it was good practice to place the OS and work files on separate storage devices. The strategy - if you lose the OS you don't have to touch the storage where your work is found.

I use the same strategy with 'the Puppy'. But I go further. I keep the Puppy on a 'pseudo' CD - a read-only medium. Method: download/save a puppy.iso file somewhere. On a reliable thumb-drive: format about 1GiB to FAT32 and then use the program "Bootflash Install Puppy to USB". (On the desk-top: Applications/setup.) At the end of the installation process you will have one read-only boot-able partition containing the Puppy. You can duplicate that boot-able OS disk many times - so you have a reliable back-up. When your system crashes (it won't happen very often with Puppy) you can recover quickly and easily. Don't forget to back-up your work drive regularly. ditto for the save-file.

Puppy recovers from a disaster more easily than Windows (and costs less).

All the best!

Leslie

enrique

Re: How to ruin a puppy? Rename one file

#3 Post by enrique »

LNSmith wrote:....Puppy recovers from a disaster more easily than Windows (and costs less). ...
Yesssss If we keep backups at least weekly, we can recover in few minutes. Not the days I wasted on windows.

ndujoe1

#4 Post by ndujoe1 »

That's correct puppy from a cd or from a previous installed usb gets you back in shape in 5 minutes or less in my experience.

jplt3

#5 Post by jplt3 »

@fabrice_035

I try to never loose or break my puppy because i have no save file, i use some script from : nic007 always run my puppy in ram then i can play with it without no fear to break it.

all my stuff are in a different partition mounted in my puppy and backuped in a different drive on the same machine : a sdd for puppy and classic hdd for data.

Best way for me to not mess up with my puppy.
JpLt

slavvo67

#6 Post by slavvo67 »

If you do need to rename a file in order to try and get something to work, create a link with a new name. This way, the old file is not touched and the link will link to the original filename.

Right click --> Link --> New Name.

fabrice_035

#7 Post by fabrice_035 »

thanks for tip but,
but what I meant to say, which may not have been clear enough, is that once the file in question is renamed the system becomes totally inoperable. And it won't boot up. It'll have to boot up on a flash drive to save the puppy.
That's the flip side of being root and being able to do anything stupid.
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

d4p

#8 Post by d4p »

Not only puppy OS, any Operating Systems will become unstable or unbootable just by changing one (important) file. Being root or not still you can change it if you want to.

slavvo67

#9 Post by slavvo67 »

Just boot from another stick and plug in the other stick, mount it and take off all of your important stuff from the stick that no longer boots.

So nice that you can have 10+ bootable USB sticks around.

You can also mount the old stick and change the name of the file back. It should then boot again....if you remember the name of the file you changed....

:D

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

I have half-a-dozen Pups currently in the "kennels". It has multiple advantages, not least of which is ease of recovery.

All Puppies run from sub-directories on the main sda2 partition. (Sda1 being reserved for all that FAT32-formatted, UEFI boot crap, of course.)

In the normal course of things, if I do a "regular" backup after making modifications, I'll copy the save-folder only.....to another "BACKUP" partition I have on an external HDD. Each Pup has a copy of its sub-directory here.

IF, however, I'm intending to make a "game-changing" alteration.....like installing an Nvidia driver, or swapping kernels, or any mission-critical changes to the fundamental building-blocks (like Fabrice did....and you can't get much more fundamental than the GNU "C" library, around which every Linux & Unix-like OS is built), then I'll copy the entire sub-directory across, overwriting the previous backup.....especially if I can't be certain of the outcome. This way, I'll always have an up-to-date, known "working" version of that Puppy to revert to.

I think it's fair to say that multiple copies of Puppy aren't just nice to have, they're actually necessary (if you want to make life as easy as possible for yourself, that is). Pup has to be the easiest OS I've ever come across, in terms of recovery.....and the ability to do all of this purely via the copy/paste commands makes it so simple.

It goes without saying that you should perform your backups BEFORE you make any of the above-mentioned types of modification. Most of you do understand this, of course, but there are some folks who just CANNOT seem to get their heads around this bit..... :shock: :roll:

It's interesting to hear how others handle the process!

Mike. :wink:

slavvo67

#11 Post by slavvo67 »

Not to get off topic but is there a list of those "mission critical" items that one would update when updating puppy? Other than the Kernel....