Where's my LG X-140 notebook's BIOS menu?

Booting, installing, newbie
soj

Where's my LG X-140 notebook's BIOS menu?

#1 Post by soj »

Hello,everybody, I was running xenialpup 7.5 ce 32bit along side windows 7 as a frugal install,I decided to install xenialpup fully,then i formatted my windows partition along with the recovery partition and reinstalled xenialpup back on the pc as a full install.The problem right now is that i can't access my bios menu even though i have tried all the shortcut keys used to enter 'bios'.I tried running xenialpup from a usb flashdrive but my screen goes black for about 10 seconds then runs xenialpup from the flashdriver..basically,i can't see the bootloader screen even though when i press the up and down buttons on my pc it loads several xenialpup options such as ram only mode.Basically,I can't access my bios menu and i can't see my bootloader screen even though it is working.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

peterw

BIOS Access

#3 Post by peterw »

What is the hardware you are working on? Getting access to the BIOS is not controlled by the OS on the hard drive. Perhaps we can advise you of the the correct key combination to use. You should note that with some PCs they work so fast that getting into the BIOS is tricky and you have to repeatedly tap the keys quickly as it powers up to get into the BIOS.
If all else fails you can disconnect the hard drive and then the PC can only go into BIOS.
Even with an install of Puppy to the hard drive a frugal install is better than a full one.

soj

Re: BIOS Access

#4 Post by soj »

peterw wrote:What is the hardware you are working on? Getting access to the BIOS is not controlled by the OS on the hard drive. Perhaps we can advise you of the the correct key combination to use. You should note that with some PCs they work so fast that getting into the BIOS is tricky and you have to repeatedly tap the keys quickly as it powers up to get into the BIOS.
If all else fails you can disconnect the hard drive and then the PC can only go into BIOS.
Even with an install of Puppy to the hard drive a frugal install is better than a full one.
I am working on a lg x140 notebook and i know the shortcut keys to enter into the bios menu,that was how i was able to set up 'boot from usb' option in the first place while trying out puppylinux.A friend suggesting removing and reinserting the CMOS battery but i haven't tried that yet.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

The link I left is because you said you tried the BIOS keys.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Don't play with hardware until you've made sure you don't have a software problem. My guess is that what you've done is (a) wipe out the bootloader without having replaced it; or (b) had --even though yours was a Window 7-- a computer using the UEFI mechanism and now are trying to use grub4dos as a bootloader.

Chances are that you're going to have to use your Xenialpup from the USB-Key to straighten things out. And while you're doing that keep peterw's advice in mind. But, I'll add one further thing to think about. Xenialpup is a nice system. But it is based on technology which is now 4 years old. That's 28 Dog years; and about 100 computer years. Before going further, I try dpup-stretch, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 590#974590; bionicpup32-bit, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 997#989997 and, especially, AtomicPup2020, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 460#943460 which was designed for the Atom processor.
peterw wrote:...Even with an install of Puppy to the hard drive a frugal install is better than a full one.
+1.

Full & Frugal are exactly the same operating system. There is no application which runs under a Full install that you can't run under a Frugal. The only difference is that a Full install requires an entire partition of its own as it decompresses the ISO into individual files within folders spreading them out throughout the entire partition. A Frugal install keeps files within several file-systems --vmlinuz, initrd(gz), Puppy_Version_##.sfs, zdrv_puppy_version_##.sfs and, occasionally others. On bootup, a Frugal's file-systems are merged anew in RAM together with the contents of the SaveFile or SaveFolder you created to preserve changes. Because a Frugal is designed to work in a 'merged file-system' it is possible to merge into that system applications (libreoffice, firefox, chrome etc) packed as a file-system. With the exception of a SaveFile or Folder, all the components of a Frugal system are READ-ONLY. You can't screw them up. It is easy to upgrade applications packaged as a file-system. These bear the ending SFS --the FS stands for File-System; they are loaded rather than installed. You just unload the old; load the new and if they old worked better unload the new and reload the old.
A Full Install can't load SFSes. Like pets, you have to install them; and like pets when you do you overwrite the old files and you can't revert. If you're lucky, you can uninstall the new, and hunt for and install the old.
And if you're not lucky --if you ever do anything wrong-- it is almost impossible to fix a broken Full install. With a Frugal install the worse thing that can happen is that you screw-up the SaveFile/Folder, have to delete it, rebuild it. And there are a bunch of applications for backing up a SaveFile/Folder so that you never get into having to do that.

The ways I use Puppies, Frugal with a SaveFile is better for me. But for many users Frugal with a SaveFolder is preferable. A SaveFile has a fixed size. It can get full. You can resize it (make it larger) requiring a reboot. A SaveFolder has no fixed size. As you add to it it expands. If necessary it will expand to the full extent of the partition on which it is located. Using a SaveFolder provides you with all the advantages of a Full install and none of the disadvantages. But it is not as easy to backup as a SaveFile and it does require that it be located on a Linux formatted partition.

soj

#7 Post by soj »

Semme wrote:The link I left is because you said you tried the BIOS keys.
okay thanks..

soj

#8 Post by soj »

mikeslr wrote:Don't play with hardware until you've made sure you don't have a software problem. My guess is that what you've done is (a) wipe out the bootloader without having replaced it; or (b) had --even though yours was a Window 7-- a computer using the UEFI mechanism and now are trying to use grub4dos as a bootloader.

Chances are that you're going to have to use your Xenialpup from the USB-Key to straighten things out. And while you're doing that keep peterw's advice in mind. But, I'll add one further thing to think about. Xenialpup is a nice system. But it is based on technology which is now 4 years old. That's 28 Dog years; and about 100 computer years. Before going further, I try dpup-stretch, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 590#974590; bionicpup32-bit, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 997#989997 and, especially, AtomicPup2020, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 460#943460 which was designed for the Atom processor.
peterw wrote:...Even with an install of Puppy to the hard drive a frugal install is better than a full one.
+1.

Full & Frugal are exactly the same operating system. There is no application which runs under a Full install that you can't run under a Frugal. The only difference is that a Full install requires an entire partition of its own as it decompresses the ISO into individual files within folders spreading them out throughout the entire partition. A Frugal install keeps files within several file-systems --vmlinuz, initrd(gz), Puppy_Version_##.sfs, zdrv_puppy_version_##.sfs and, occasionally others. On bootup, a Frugal's file-systems are merged anew in RAM together with the contents of the SaveFile or SaveFolder you created to preserve changes. Because a Frugal is designed to work in a 'merged file-system' it is possible to merge into that system applications (libreoffice, firefox, chrome etc) packed as a file-system. With the exception of a SaveFile or Folder, all the components of a Frugal system are READ-ONLY. You can't screw them up. It is easy to upgrade applications packaged as a file-system. These bear the ending SFS --the FS stands for File-System; they are loaded rather than installed. You just unload the old; load the new and if they old worked better unload the new and reload the old.
A Full Install can't load SFSes. Like pets, you have to install them; and like pets when you do you overwrite the old files and you can't revert. If you're lucky, you can uninstall the new, and hunt for and install the old.
And if you're not lucky --if you ever do anything wrong-- it is almost impossible to fix a broken Full install. With a Frugal install the worse thing that can happen is that you screw-up the SaveFile/Folder, have to delete it, rebuild it. And there are a bunch of applications for backing up a SaveFile/Folder so that you never get into having to do that.

The ways I use Puppies, Frugal with a SaveFile is better for me. But for many users Frugal with a SaveFolder is preferable. A SaveFile has a fixed size. It can get full. You can resize it (make it larger) requiring a reboot. A SaveFolder has no fixed size. As you add to it it expands. If necessary it will expand to the full extent of the partition on which it is located. Using a SaveFolder provides you with all the advantages of a Full install and none of the disadvantages. But it is not as easy to backup as a SaveFile and it does require that it be located on a Linux formatted partition.
It is most likely looking like (a). will installing atomicpup 2020 solve the issue if it is (a).
what do i do if it is (b)?

soj

#9 Post by soj »

mikeslr wrote:Don't play with hardware until you've made sure you don't have a software problem. My guess is that what you've done is (a) wipe out the bootloader without having replaced it; or (b) had --even though yours was a Window 7-- a computer using the UEFI mechanism and now are trying to use grub4dos as a bootloader.

okay,just frugal installed dpupstretch,configured grub4dosbootloader to boot dpupstretch as default..same problem,it boots into dpupstretch but no splashscreen,my laptop screen goes blank for about the length of timeout for grub4dosbootloader then boots into dpup.I thought maybe something was wrong with grub4dosbootloader so i edited the menu 1st to boot into my xenialpup as default which it does following the same procedures as it did fot dpupstretch.Is it that grub4dosbootloader does not show the bootmenu in a graphical way?.Sorry about the time difference,it is early in the morning over here

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

i formatted my windows partition along with the recovery partition
Doing that removed Windows and maybe it's boot loader.

Windows boot loader may still be on the hard drive or parts of it, but has nothing to boot.

Lets start with knowing how the Hard drive is setup so we know what partitions it has and what they are.

Boot with the Puppy USB.

Run Gparted program.
Select the hard drive as the device to look at.
Give specific information.
What partitions does it show, what size, and what format are they?
Give specific details on each one.

You have to understand something.
We only know what you tell us.

reinstalled xenialpup back on the pc as a full install.
Exactly how did you do this?????
Be very specific details.
Probably did something wrong.
What partition?
What format?
Used what program to do the install?

Installed Grub4dos Boot loader.
Installed using default settings or did you change a setting?
If setting was changed, what setting?

You may need to just start over fresh, with a new partition setup and format, of the complete hard drive.
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 19 Jun 2020, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

What exactly happens when you press the key that gets access to the bios setup?

I assume you know to do it just as the computer starts up.
You must, if you say you have done it.

Have you tried this to access the bios setup?
Press and hold the F2 button , then click the power button. DO NOT RELEASE the F2 button until the BIOS screen display.
This is suppose to be how to get to just the boot device menu.
How do you get to the boot menu on an LG computer?
Instructions

Fully power down your PC and make sure it has come to a complete halt.
Press the power button on your computer and wait for the screen with the manufacturer's logo to finish. ...
As soon as the logo screen goes away, begin to repeatedly tap (not press and keep pressed) the F8 key on your keyboard.
YaPI(any iso installer)

soj

#12 Post by soj »

bigpup wrote:What exactly happens when you press the key that gets access to the bios setup?

I assume you know to do it just as the computer starts up.
You must, if you say you have done it.

Have you tried this to access the bios setup?
Press and hold the F2 button , then click the power button. DO NOT RELEASE the F2 button until the BIOS screen display.
This is suppose to be how to get to just the boot device menu.
How do you get to the boot menu on an LG computer?
Instructions

Fully power down your PC and make sure it has come to a complete halt.
Press the power button on your computer and wait for the screen with the manufacturer's logo to finish. ...
As soon as the logo screen goes away, begin to repeatedly tap (not press and keep pressed) the F8 key on your keyboard.
the sad thing is my lg's standby mode was part of my recovery which i deleted.when i turn on the pc it does not show the manufacturer logo(i don't consider this a problem as it never showed it even when i had windows only) but goes straight to a black screen with a white dash blinking for about 2 seconds then goes ahead to boot dpupstretch or any other pup i had set as grub4dosbootloader default in menu1st.

soj

#13 Post by soj »

bigpup wrote:
i formatted my windows partition along with the recovery partition
Doing that removed Windows and maybe it's boot loader.

Windows boot loader may still be on the hard drive or parts of it, but has nothing to boot.

Lets start with knowing how the Hard drive is setup so we know what partitions it has and what they are.

Boot with the Puppy USB.

Run Gparted program.
Select the hard drive as the device to look at.
Give specific information.
What partitions does it show, what size, and what format are they?
Give specific details on each one.

You have to understand something.
We only know what you tell us.

reinstalled xenialpup back on the pc as a full install.
Exactly how did you do this?????
Be very specific details.
Probably did something wrong.
What partition?
What format?
Used what program to do the install?

Installed Grub4dos Boot loader.
Installed using default settings or did you change a setting?
If setting was changed, what setting?

You may need to just start over fresh, with a new partition setup and format, of the complete hard drive.
okay,I formatted my pc's hard drive using gparted into three partitions,sda1 with 300mb size and fat32 and the grub and mbr are installed on it.sda2 which is 10gb and ext2,where all my puppy files are installed as frugals,and the remaining as sda3 as ntfs.my hard drive is 230gb.
I installed grub4dosbootloader using the default settings for the xenialpup as it was my first install.and unpacked the dpupstretch necessary files i.e(vmlinuz,init-stuff and the necessary sfs'es ) into a dpupstretch frugal folder i created in sda2, and rerun grub4dosbootloader again,which setup dpup as my default os.

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

goes straight to a black screen with a white dash blinking for about 2 seconds then goes ahead to boot dpupstretch or any other pup i had set as grub4dosbootloader default in menu1st.
You never see the Grub4dos boot menu, with a list of selections to choose?

Did you try any of the bios access procedures I posted?
If yes.
What happened?

You need to understand we need to specifically know:
You do what?
You see what?

Anything we suggest doing. The results, good or bad, are a clue as to what to do.

Windows if ever shutdown in hibernation will make booting Puppy Linux a problem.
But repartition and format should cure that.
Does Gparted show anything berfore the first partition you made?

Your partition setup looks OK.

You may need to completely redo the hard drive.
But this time get ride of everything and start fresh.
Use Gparted
Make a new partition table (msdos)
Partition as before.
Make sure to flag first partition boot.
sda2 would be better as ext3 or 4 format.
but ext2 is OK. It just is easier to get corrupted.

Why do you want a ntfs formatted partition?
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 19 Jun 2020, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

sda1 with 300mb size and fat32 and the grub and mbr are installed on it.
Grub4dos Config, if used with default options, should have replaced the mbr.
The mbr was probably windows version.

running Grub4dos Config.
If you get to a selection to replace/overwrite mbr or put it on partition.
Select replace/overwrite mbr.
That should delete the old Windows mbr.
YaPI(any iso installer)

soj

#16 Post by soj »

bigpup wrote:
goes straight to a black screen with a white dash blinking for about 2 seconds then goes ahead to boot dpupstretch or any other pup i had set as grub4dosbootloader default in menu1st.
You never see the Grub4dos boot menu, with a list of selections to choose?

Did you try any of the bios access procedures I posted?
If yes.
What happened?

You need to understand we need to specifically know:
You do what?
You see what?

Anything we suggest doing. The results, good or bad, are a clue as to what to do.

Windows if ever shutdown in hibernation will make booting Puppy Linux a problem.
But repartition and format should cure that.
Does Gparted show anything berfore the first partition you made?

Your partition setup looks OK.

You may need to completely redo the hard drive.
But this time get ride of everything and start fresh.
Use Gparted
Make a new partition table (msdos)
Partition as before.
Make sure to flag first partition boot.
sda2 would be better as ext3 or 4 format.
but ext2 is OK. It just is easier to get corrupted.

Why do you want a ntfs formatted partition?
I tried your suggested bios access methods,nothing happened.
yes,i do not see the grub4dos boot menu.
I decided to use the last partition as ntfs,just because that was what it was on windows.

jafadmin

#17 Post by jafadmin »

So if you didn't go into windows and disable secure boot & fast boot before making disk changes, you are probably in a mess. It IS fixable, but complicated.

If it was me, I'd either try booting an *Ubuntu iso and disable these features there, or disconnect all possible boot media and network connections and see if that forces the machine to boot into the bios.

* Ubuntu has utilities to disable secure boot ..

soj

#18 Post by soj »

jafadmin wrote:So if you didn't go into windows and disable secure boot & fast boot before making disk changes, you are probably in a mess. It IS fixable, but complicated.

If it was me, I'd either try booting an *Ubuntu iso and disable these features there, or disconnect all possible boot media and network connections and see if that forces the machine to boot into the bios.

* Ubuntu has utilities to disable secure boot ..
i don't know about secure boot but fast boot was disabled on windows..I will try to remove the CMOS battery and see what happens.