Problem with musescore software

Booting, installing, newbie
memo

Problem with musescore software

#1 Post by memo »

Hi all,

I have encountered a very strange behavior of a software called musescore (it is a music application) . I tried to launch it from the terminal and it gives segmentation error however if I altered the code to be sudo musescore it start normally without problem.

anyone may have an idea why this is the situation and how to fix it so it works directly when I press the icon and I do not need to write sudo musescore every time I want it to run.

Regards,
Attachments
musescore2.png
(30.89 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
musecore1.png
(14.58 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

gjuhasz

MuseScore 2.0.3 vs 3.4.2

#2 Post by gjuhasz »

memo wrote:anyone may have an idea why this is the situation and how to fix it so it works directly when I press the icon
I uploaded MuseScore versions 2.0.3 (sfs package) and 3.4.2 (AppImage) to

https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppys ... t/packages

I tested them using Puli 7.3 on many 64-bit hardware.

I found that MuseScore-3.4.2-x86_64.AppImage segfaults on some ancient machines while MuseScore-2.03_64p.sfs runs fine everywhere.

See more details at

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 24#1062024

Hope this helps.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

memo

#3 Post by memo »

@ gjuhasz

That is very kind of you, especially for such an old inquiry. does it also works for xenialpup 32 bit?

regards,
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ gjuhasz/memo:-

@ gjuhasz:- I find the 3.3.4 AppImage works fine for me in the 64-bit Pups. Like you, I too find that the 3.4.2 release just generates error messages. 3.3.4 is quite new enough for most folks..!

@ memo:- Unfortunately, the AppImages - like all AppImages of recent years - are all being built for 64-bit only. So, no; it won't run under 32-bit Xenialpup, I'm afraid.....

EDIT:- No, it appears you're in luck, if you don't mind an older version. Here's a direct link for a 32-bit AppImage of MuseScore 2.3.2, the final 32-bit release:-

https://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/musescore/re ... 6.AppImage

Mike. :wink:

memo

#5 Post by memo »

@Mike Walsh

Thank ! I will try it and back to you.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

gjuhasz

3.3.4 AppImage cannot save either

#6 Post by gjuhasz »

Mike Walsh wrote:I find the 3.3.4 AppImage works fine for me in the 64-bit Pups. Like you, I too find that the 3.4.2 release just generates error messages. 3.3.4 is quite new enough for most folks..!
Dear Mike,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, v3.3.4 exits when I try to save the score on my HP Compaq DC 7600 SFF (Intel® P4, 3GB, Radeon graphics):

Code: Select all

/tmp/.mount_MuseSceH5wF0/AppRun: line 48: 24272 Aborted                 "${APPDIR}/bin/mscore-portable" "$@"
I will analyze the issue later, maybe I can create an sfs that runs well. I do not want to fix it within the AppImage because in Puli I prefer using as many intact "factory made" packages as possible. I will play with the runtime environment of AppImages in Puli, too.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ gjuhasz/memo:-

'Twould seem that the later 32-bit AppImages have the same issues as the newest 64-bit versions; quitting with all sorts of errors. I'm in radky's DPup Stretch 7.5 ATM, and have just installed MuseScore 2.03 from the PPM. Apart from a wee window saying:-

"The previous session quit unexpectedly. Are you sure you want to continue? - Yes/No"

.....(probably left over from the previous attempts to run the AppImages), it started up as good as gold.

--------------------------------------

@ memo:-

If 2.03 is running OK in Stretch, then it would probably run fine in Xenialpup. There's a version available in the Xenialpup PPM, and since these two Pups are about the same vintage, using similar kernels and the same glibc (2.23/2.24), it's probaly a similar version.

EDIT:- It's MuseScore 2.02 in Xenial.....from the "Universe" repo. It'll drag in some Qt5 stuff, and a couple of other bits'n'pieces while installing.

memo

#8 Post by memo »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ gjuhasz/memo:-

'Twould seem that the later 32-bit AppImages have the same issues as the newest 64-bit versions; quitting with all sorts of errors. I'm in radky's DPup Stretch 7.5 ATM, and have just installed MuseScore 2.03 from the PPM. Apart from a wee window saying:-

"The previous session quit unexpectedly. Are you sure you want to continue? - Yes/No"

.....(probably left over from the previous attempts to run the AppImages), it started up as good as gold.

--------------------------------------

@ memo:-

If 2.03 is running OK in Stretch, then it would probably run fine in Xenialpup. There's a version available in the Xenialpup PPM, and since these two Pups are about the same vintage, using similar kernels and the same glibc (2.23/2.24), it's probaly a similar version.

EDIT:- It's MuseScore 2.02 in Xenial.....from the "Universe" repo. It'll drag in some Qt5 stuff, and a couple of other bits'n'pieces while installing.

I just tried, the one you have provided keep shutting as soon as it starts, the one from the ppm so doesnot work either. thanks for the effort though!
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

gjuhasz

Musescore-203wp.pet?

#9 Post by gjuhasz »

memo wrote:keep shutting as soon as it starts, the one from the ppm so doesnot work either
Dear memo,

Have you tried my 32-bit Musescore-203wp.pet?

Downloadable from https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppys ... /packages/

Needs wine, e.g., the wine-3.20_v3.1.pet package in the above referenced folder.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

memo

Re: Musescore-203wp.pet?

#10 Post by memo »

gjuhasz wrote:
memo wrote:keep shutting as soon as it starts, the one from the ppm so doesnot work either
Dear memo,

Have you tried my 32-bit Musescore-203wp.pet?

Downloadable from https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppys ... /packages/

Needs wine, e.g., the wine-3.20_v3.1.pet package in the above referenced folder.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

it sets a menu entry but doesnot lunch.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

gjuhasz

Re: Musescore-203wp.pet?

#11 Post by gjuhasz »

memo wrote:it sets a menu entry but does not launch.
The execution order is important. First you should install wine then prepare it by typing in a command window:

Code: Select all

wine explorer
The Musescore-203wp.pet shall be installed after the above is completed.

memo

#12 Post by memo »

ah, maybe this is the problem becauase I did not use wine, I want it to work natively on the system without the system.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit