Wifi access point deb file gives no menu entry?

Booting, installing, newbie
number77

Wifi access point deb file gives no menu entry?

#1 Post by number77 »

Hello
I am running xenial64 on a Dell latitude e6230.
I have a Ubiquiti AP AClite WiFi access point and have downloaded a deb file from them. It installs to utility but says there is no menu entry so how would I access the software to control it as it does seem to need the software to be running.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
number77

Mike Walsh

Re: Wifi access point deb file gives no menu entry?

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

number77 wrote:Hello
I have a Ubiquiti AP AClite WiFi access point and have downloaded a deb file from them. It installs to utility but says there is no menu entry so how would I access the software to control it as it does seem to need the software to be running.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
number77
I would download/install Jake's latest UExtract, and unzip the .deb with that (right-click on the .deb file, and choose UExtract). Then, scrutinise the extracted contents, paying close attention to either /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. That should be where you will find the executable (if there is one).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Once you've found the executable, run that as a command in the terminal, and see what response/output you get. This is how I approach problems like this as a first step...

Not all software packages contain a .desktop file, so you may need to construct one for your MenuEntry. We can assist with that, no probs.

Mike. :wink:

number77

Re: Wifi access point deb file gives no menu entry?

#3 Post by number77 »

Mike Walsh wrote:
number77 wrote:Hello
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
number77
I would download/install Jake's latest UExtract, and unzip the .deb with that (right-click on the .deb file, and choose UExtract). Then, scrutinise the extracted contents, paying close attention to either /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. That should be where you will find the executable (if there is one).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Once you've found the executable, run that as a command in the terminal, and see what response/output you get. This is how I approach problems like this as a first step...

Not all software packages contain a .desktop file, so you may need to construct one for your MenuEntry. We can assist with that, no probs.

Mike there is an init file in the extracted file/usr/lib/unifi/bin/unifi.init
Am I anywhere close as I don't know what an executable file is in xenial.
If so what would need to go in terminal.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

:idea: Give Mike a screenshot of the pkg contents.

Come to think of it, I have the same situation - a wireless hotspot.

Can't you simply connect with one of Pups network managers?

Now I see, I think 77 has a firmware file.

No, but 77's gonna need their firmware perhaps.

This "unifi_sysvinit_all.deb" is you file, right?

244mb's unpacked and a boatload of jar files.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Semme:-

Jeez, but that's one of the messiest looking packages I've seen for a loooong time. Even by Java standards, that is a BEAR..... Image

Number 77 will also need Java, 'cos unlike some others I've come across, this one don't contain it.

@ number77:-

Have you actually installed this thing yet?

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

You ain't kiddin! Think it's a "BIG-BOY" pkg. And Java no less, no thanks.

With no driver in this pkg, I'd say 77 should stay clear and try with Pups connection wizard first.

If 77 needs their firmware pkg, maybe support can say "WHAT's" going to use it.

Hmm, perhaps "Billy-Boy" :D:wink: knows something about this beast?

If similar to the way their LAP-120 does things, it looks like access via browser @ https://192.168.1.20.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

number77

#7 Post by number77 »

Thanks for the help but the more I find out about about this access point the less I want to use it, it seems to need a PC running to drive it so not much use without. I was given it for nothing and thought it would be good when I was out of range of the router.
I will give this one up but thanks again for the help.
number77

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Unless the thought of charging the locals access to cover your costs, yeah, there's not much point.

BTW, here's a brief how-to: https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/how-t ... ess-point/