Asoulutely Ridiculus A Major Forum with NO ADMINISTRATORS?

Using applications, configuring, problems
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

I will not use Facebook, ever.
They are no longer a free speech provider.
They do control what can be posted and they do remove stuff they do not like!!

True, they are not as bad as Twitter for censoring stuff.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#22 Post by musher0 »

Well, that is the ultimate goal of computer science, AI, etc., isn't it?
1) make managers redundant (yan-han-han!!!)
and
2) automate management of humans (again: yan-han-han!!!)

I must say: I'm ok with #1, but NOT with #2!!!! :lol:

musher0, you're a closet anarchist!!! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rockedge

#23 Post by rockedge »

Hello Makoto

I found out that the user ellen.hart that you have activated the account for on the forum, can not login. She has never received any email to get a valid password for the account. Apparently she does not have a password set to be able to login.

Any tips I can pass along?

tallboy

#24 Post by tallboy »

I try not to be negative, but what is it that those potential members need from the forum? They are free to download everything posted in the forum, and can follow all threads. If facebook is so good, why can't they get their answers there?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#25 Post by Flash »

Rockedge, I think ellen had to provide a password when she signed up for the forum. I could be wrong (it's been 15 years since I signed up) but if I'm right, she's forgotten her password. There's nothing I can do about that except delete her account so that she can redo the whole thing with the same name and email address. If I know when she'll do it, I can activate her account if she doesn't get a confirmation email. Let me or Makoto know what she wants to do.

Makoto

#26 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, you normally set a password when you create your account; the forum doesn't create or assign a password to you. The validation email only activates the account afterward.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

jamesbond

#27 Post by jamesbond »

Everyone keeps blaming the forum. Why doesn't anyone ever blames the organisation that blocks the email in the first place? Just because the email has HTTP link in it? :?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

murgalinuxtest

#28 Post by murgalinuxtest »

This is me, jamesbond, testing with a fresh, newly created account, one minute ago. Note the post count is ONE; and if you check the registration date you will see that it is created today.

It's not that hard. Don't throw the baby with the bathwater.

testuser001

#29 Post by testuser001 »

1 minute took me to register this account, in a blank Puppy Bionic 64. Using just Light Web Browser. And here I am posting.

Yes Google is the trouble.

On computer issues I consider my self a Renegade = a person who deserts a party or cause for another.

Yes we are Big enough to not allow Microsoft to tell you what to do and how. So you moved to Puppy Linux.
Still some are Not Big enough. and still allow Google to tell you with whom they think you should communicate. Google do not respect to even let your communicate with yourself in a white list? Wake up, You think Google is big but the truth is that you are looking at Google from a kneeling position. Stand up and fight for your right.

At the end, on any future forum this may become. Please do not use scripts, cookies, that finally lead to Asking the so called $ contribution to support the forum and the force advertisement, Popups, Force installation of binaries, and the usual hacks ... You know the list.

Then old Puppys will not be able to connect to forum with default browsers as the too will be old. Not to mention to what next? Yes will the upgrade required latest https? How could then old puppys will take the upgrades?

On any forum I been, this title can be consider disrespectful to the admin. And will get you banned for life.

WOOPS this is funny, someone got my Idea 1rst. This is not a double post. See consider us too, we are a few good users.

dancytron

#30 Post by dancytron »

If google is the trouble, then can we get a big banner that says "Don't use Google Mail to register [because...]"?

p310don

#31 Post by p310don »

bigpup wrote:
I will not use Facebook, ever.
They are no longer a free speech provider.
They do control what can be posted and they do remove stuff they do not like!!
That's up to you, but you're a little misguided in your thoughts & fears. Facebook does remove politically "wrong" posts, hate posts, nazi posts etc. They don't remove stuff from the Puppy group. (FYI I remove more stuff from there as an administrator than anyone else - things that break the rules)

Tallboy wrote:
I try not to be negative, but what is it that those potential members need from the forum? They are free to download everything posted in the forum, and can follow all threads. If facebook is so good, why can't they get their answers there?
This forum has more genuine helpers, the facebook group has a few, but not as comprehensive as here. Rockedge, puppyluvr and a few others do fairly actively help on FB.
It's a bit about inclusiveness. Sure they can download anything from the forum (except off topic I think) but they cannot contribute. There may be a younger user / developer full of enthusiasm to try and build a Puplet of their own, but the forum won't even let them in. Bugger that, I'm off to Arch.
It's not a good look for Puppy in general to have a forum that apparently doesn't send emails. (noting that the forum does send emails, but providers kill them in transmission)

jamesbond wrote:
Everyone keeps blaming the forum. Why doesn't anyone ever blames the organisation that blocks the email in the first place? Just because the email has HTTP link in it?
Using google as the big bad wolf (rightly so somewhat) - it's a crappy reality, but they virtually "own" the web. If you wanna play, you've got to follow some of their rules.

What email provider did you use to create your murgalinuxtest account James? Was it gmail or other? The last time I tested this, which was probably 12 months ago, gmail didn't work, hotmail did.

testuser001 - what email provider did you use?

dancytron - That seems like the easiest solution.

MiqPup

#32 Post by MiqPup »

Yo, guys.

This is me - Mike Walsh - also posting with a new, freshly created a/c. So I agree with James (@murgalinuxtest), and I believe Enrique (@testuser001??; certainly reads like Enrique..! :lol: )

It can still be done.

However, many of the e-mail providers are very picky about this.

- Gmail : forget it.
- GMX : ditto.

These are my two main providers. I tried a handful of others (including mail.com, then found out that's the same stable as GMX), and guess who I ended up with? Our old nemesis, MyCrudSoft.....with a Hotmail a/c.!!

(Would ya believe it....?!!)

I had problems activating the a/c in Opera to start with, before realising not only did I need to deactivate auto-login from LastPass, but also clear the saved login from the browser itself. Sheesh, I'm getting old.... :roll:

-------------------

Well, if we're going to put a banner at the top of the registration page (or wherever, as dancytron has suggested), personally I'd suggest recommending Hotmail as the one to go with for a forum e-mail addy.

(Flash; apologies for creating yet another possibly "inactive" account, but like some of the others I felt this needed testing out....)

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#33 Post by bigpup »

Facebook does remove politically "wrong" posts, hate posts, nazi posts etc.
You prove my point.
It does not fully support free speech!

Free speech is you can say stuff I do not like and I can say stuff you do not like!!!!!

Who decides what is hate speech?
Who decides what is politically wrong posts?
Who decides what is a nazi post?
Who decides what any post is?

True Facebook is not as bad as Twitter.

Twitter decided something, that was posted, was hate speech.
But, they never told you that the posted statement did not say to do something. It was a true statement, about what will probably happen, (based on history of past events) and actually turned out to be something, that did happen.

Strange, that saying something will probably happen, is hate speech.
But, after it actually happens, because no one tried to stop it.
Now, it is something to talk about, AND DO SOMETHING, ABOUT IT!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Trobin

#34 Post by Trobin »

"Who decides what is hate speech?
Who decides what is politically wrong posts?
Who decides what is a nazi post?
Who decides what any post is? "

The guy who owns the forum decides all that. Free Speech means that you can publically and vociferously disagree with your government without fear of repercussions.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

enrique

#35 Post by enrique »

MiqPup

Yes it was me.
If you look into major email providers you will find Googles own all of them, mail.com, gmx.com, etc. Exception may like Yahoo or Hotmail. And I bet you even on those Google have significant share holding. Googles = U S I nteli gence for those that have not seen it. Truce is after 911 US government use FBI & Federal Court to visit most if not all Email providers and ask nicely to allow their Sniffing Software/Backdoor to be installed. Those providers that refused well their were required to visit the Federal Court on a monthly basic. This force most Email Providers to closed to prevent the monthly visit to the court. Then 2 consecutive Secretary of Justice resigned to prevent been question on USA Patriot Act been misused. So as result US no longer torture people in Guantánamo and Google was force to purchase remaining Email providers.

My enrique account use a privately own email provider.

testuser001 was create using a disposable email provider.

As I said: Googles always listen. I do not want to post in public what is still available to prevent them from killing them. But contact me if you really really need info.

Regards main topic. Move if you need. Consider the small group that do not want scripts and the rest of the thing that comes behind. OOHHH I forgot the Captcha and reCaptcha wao those are real offending. It neglects that half the people have no good sight

taersh

#36 Post by taersh »

Trobin wrote:The guy who owns the forum decides all that.
Unfortunately this is true.

Probably there's a new setup required, to make rules mandatory for forum owners, to avoid suppress and deleting of statements. If there would be any crime in any statement posted, I think our countries should have enough laws to judge and trial such persons.

It's just my opinion, but I think many forum owners do abuse their rights to decide what needs to be deleted and what remains visible/readable. At least that's my experience in Germany.

Edit: the statement in question still could be deleted after the trial pledged the person guilty, I think.
[b]My Music:[/b]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]

Trobin

#37 Post by Trobin »

Sorry, but I have to disagree. My opinion is that the owner gets to decide what s said on his forum. He is not the government so freedom of speech issues don't apply. I moderated a forum once, long gone now, had a guy come on stating that we should kill all the brown and red people. What would it say about me if I had not removed the message and let the poster continue as a user?
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]