Installing VirtualBox on Puppy 3.01

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
lindberg.bill

Installing VirtualBox on Puppy 3.01

#1 Post by lindberg.bill »

I would like to install Virtual Box on my Puppy linux 3.01. I noticed there was a tutorial for installing this on an older version of puppy. The instructions call for some files such as dev_217.sfs to be installed, where do these come from and how do I install them? Any other tips from folks who have done this would be great.
gorlewskik

VirtualBox on Puppy 3.01

#2 Post by gorlewskik »

I would be interested in this too for puppy 3.01. Actually, I have been working on it, but I have been unsuccessful, but this does not mean that it is not possible. I too, was interested in installing virtualbox under puppy linux after reading about its success in puppy 2.17

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21617

Using that (above post) as instructions, I have seen the need to make my puppy operating system installed with developer tools so I can install virtual box ... So I downloaded them here (link below) by finding the links to the developer tools listed available in the release notes of puppy 3.01

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modules-3/
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-3.01.htm

So I downloaded the files devx_301.sfs and kernel-src_301.sfs and put them in the correct directory to be detected by puppy linux. Success.

So then I downloaded the release of virtualbox for linux from http://www.virtualbox.org to my root directory and tried tried to install it from there. Everything went fine, the package unpacked, I accepted the licensing agreement, but then it said there was an error in installation and to check the /var/log/vbox-install.log file to see what happened. It seems I ran out of room. The installer correctly started writing files to the installation folder, but the installer ran out of room. I have a laptop with 128MB and plenty of hard-drive space, but there was only 55MB of ram available, but I am confused if the problem is megabytes of space or a ram problem. So this post is too be continued, until I can swap my hard-drive into a better computer and see what happens.
gorlewskik

Installing VirtualBox in Puppy

#3 Post by gorlewskik »

If you have read my last post, I stated that the installation of VirtualBox under puppylinux was going fine until I ran out of RAM in my computer, so everything was on hold until I could try the procedure again with a computer with more ram.

This time, with more ram and the developer sfs and kernel sfs files I was able to install virtualbox fine. The result! VirtualBox installed fine! However, when I run 'VirtualBox' command from the console it says.

/root/VBox/VirtualBox: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So, I am stuck.

I then read in the the help file written in this post,

That there was a libSDL getPup package for 2.17, but unfortunately there is not one (yet) for 3.01. Request to developers. Is there one forthcoming? If someone could team up with me and make a libSDL pup, then virtualbox should be able to run in this newer release of puppy linux.

So the conclusion, We need a libsdl-1.2 pup package which has not been compiled yet.

Note to readers: I tried to compile the package myself by going to the http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php website, but the configure, make, make install procedure was unsuccessful. My last hope is that some developer will be able to make this package for me successful and release it officially for those users that want to install virtualbox.
gorlewskik

Success running windows 98 under puppy linux 3.01

#4 Post by gorlewskik »

I finally had success installing virtualbox under puppy linux 3.01. I don't know how I did it, but I got the libSDL-1.2 package installed.

I think what I did was I installed the puppy 2 version of the package instead of waiting for a 3 version package to come out. Be sure to reboot your computer after you install the package.

Download it here.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -1.2.9.pet

Everybody enjoy! Note to users: I followed the 2.17 install instructions to the letter, Brush up here before you try this.

Attachments
puppyrunswin98.jpg
(145.77 KiB) Downloaded 2427 times
gorlewskik

SFS VirtualBox Package for Puppy 3.01

#5 Post by gorlewskik »

I made a sfs package that installs virtualbox for you, ready to go, including libsdl and qt libraries. All you do is put the file in the base directory of your puppy linux 3.01 and reboot and then click on the Innotek virtualbox icon in the start menu.

I will post again when I have uploaded it to a server. It is a starting point for a developer that wants to make other kinds of installation packages for virtualbox. I am new at this, so I will eventually learn how to make a dotpup package for virtualbox.
Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

How do you have Puppy installed, hard drive, frugal or live CD?
gorlewskik

SFS Package

#7 Post by gorlewskik »

I am using the frugal install. I am not sure how to use sfs packages with the (full) hard drive install. Is there a way to include an sfs package in a full install? This is beside the point, I am using a frugal install. Thanks for asking.
gorlewskik

Download SFS Virtual Box

#8 Post by gorlewskik »

Hi everybody!

Here is the download!

http://www.aitef.org/puppy/vbox-1_5_2.sfs Update: Warning! with the sfs package, it seems there is no way to uninstall it. Use this only if you don't mind keeping virtualbox app forever. Works for me. End update.

To install it, you must have a frugal install and then put the downloaded file into the same directory with pup_301.sfs and usually the same directory as initrd.gz and vmlinuz also. In other words /mnt/home/

Then go to the [start menu], click on [System], and then on [Bootmanager configure bootup] and select vbox-1_5_2.sfs

Please give feed back. It was tested by me. However I would like to know if it works by everybody else.[/url]
Last edited by gorlewskik on Fri 16 Nov 2007, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
gorlewskik

How to make a dot pup?

#9 Post by gorlewskik »

Okay, I am trying to make a virtualbox dotpup. I have searched everywhere, read everywhere and I think I know how to do it. The dot pup package must be a zip package with the extension renamed to .pup.

That is all so easy. Brilliant idea.

One thing I need help with and I would appreciate an answer, however stupid my question may be is how do I make md5sum.txt? I start imagining the process and I start thinking, okay, in order to get the md5sum value I must make the package and then go to the console and type something into the console and it will give me the value. What is that, that I type into the console? please help. Then I start thinking, how do I then put that value back into the dotpup package when it is already zipped up? And then won't that change the value of md5sum of the package again? So I am chasing my tail! Damn it. I have no idea how to do this!

I would really appreciate some help on this.

Ah hah! Further investigation lead me to understand that the md5sum.txt file has the md5sum of each file in the package. This solves the question in my mind.

Is there some program that makes dot pup packages? This is getting more complicated then I thought.
raffy

guesttoo

#10 Post by raffy »

The author of dotpup, guesttoo, discusses dotpup here:
the dotpup handler is a simple shell script, basically 3 lines:

unzip
md5sum check
exec dotpup.sh
This means that your dotpup should contain: (1) the files of what you want to install (usually tar.gz), (2) md5sum.txt file, and (3) dotpup.sh as executable (for installing the package and doing other tasks). An example instruction inside dotpup.sh is the extraction of your provided files in #1, like tar xzf files.tgz -C /target/dir/.

A number of dotpup wizards have been written by enthusiasts Mark Ulrich and Jonathan Marsden, but I had no luck finding them.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
don largo

VirtualBox.sfs Feedback

#11 Post by don largo »

Thanks Gorlewskik.

This installed on 3.01 perfectly. The first time I tried to install WinCrash, I ran out of ram, so I would suggest clarifying the importance of moving the VDI to /mnt/home and creating a symbolic link from the original location. This is great while I wean our household of the putrid remnants of MicroCrash--the only OS on the planet which can crash before turning your computer on.

Puppy just keeps looking better and better, does it not?
jparkdo

#12 Post by jparkdo »

Thanks Gorlewskik,

I used this squash file with Win2k. Works great for me. Just built a new system, AMD 64, 2 gigs DDR2, and run vbox with about 680 megs ram and a virtual disc of about 4.4 gigs. Installed several Windows programs, USB, sound, everything works. Hands down the best virtual machine I've tried so far. Used VMware player and win4lin previously.

Jerry
jwp
justauser

Latest virtualbox (1.5.4) doesn't install

#13 Post by justauser »

I tried the latest VirtualBox on 3.01. I followed the directions, but libvga.so is missing. I did a "find -name \*vga\* -print from root and there is no libvga.so. There is a libvgahw.so under X11R7.

Any ideas?
justauser

Nevermind, found the library

#14 Post by justauser »

OK, found libvga (part of the svgalib package). Once downloaded 1.5.4 comes up.
khartahk

I need some help VirtualBox and Puppy 3.01

#15 Post by khartahk »

Hello, I am trying to install virtualbox to puppy 3.01.
I downloaded and moved the files:
- devx_301.sfs
- kernel-src_301.sfs
to /mnt/home and ran the command cc to se if the compiler is running. It said:
cc: no input files
so i guess that at least devx_301 is installed correctly.
And than when i try to run

Code: Select all

./VirtualBox_1.5.6_Linux_x86.run install /root/my-applications/virtualbox
i get the message:
Please install the build and header files for your current Linux kernel.
The current kernel version is 2.6.21.7
Can anybody give a hint on what to do next coz Im all out of ideas.

Thanks
vovchik

vbox module for puppy 3.01 attached

#16 Post by vovchik »

Dear kharahk,

I got the vbox module compiled in 3.01 and made a few minor but important changes to the install script, as described elsewhere in the forum. It works very well. As you seem to be having trouble compiling the module, here it is (it goes in /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/misc). I have installed it twice (different versions) - and went through two compile and install cycles. This is version 1.5.7. Good luck and don't feel discouraged - it will work eventually.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
vboxdrv.tar.gz
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 292 times