My computer tells me it's 4:30p, Google tells me it's 5:30a

Using applications, configuring, problems
drewmeister

My computer tells me it's 4:30p, Google tells me it's 5:30a

#1 Post by drewmeister »

Am I the only one who uses Puppy (v2.16) and Google? I use "Desktop->Set timezone" and "Set time and date" and the on-screen clock has the correct time. As I said, Google tells me I am 13 hours later than what my Puppy thinks the time is.

This Forum tells me it is an hour sooner than what Puppy thinks, 3:30p in this example.

I have looked and looked for anyone having this problem here in the forum, but I have not caught one yet. Anyone?
hillside

#2 Post by hillside »

I'm using 3.01, but I've also found the time to be a little spooky at times. I found it works best when I choose the time zone ased on UTC plus or minus the correct number of hours instead of choosing the city near where I'm at.

Also the board times are all UTC -4.
Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Board timezone can be set in preferences. However, it doesn't respect daylight savings, so for some places it will be off by an hour for half the year or so, unless you go and change your timezone for the summer.

As for Google, I have no idea. I never checked a time with Google before.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
hillside

#4 Post by hillside »

Board timezone can be set in preferences
Cool

Cooler yet, I went to my profile, then clicked on settings and found a little time sync button. It immediately grabbed my computer's time.

I learn 1000 new things every day.
drewmeister

#5 Post by drewmeister »

Thanks guys! I'll be playing with it the rest of the day.
accessdenied

#6 Post by accessdenied »

drewmeister, look into this thread. Might help...

I have a icon on my desktop to correct the time now and then using the internet. 8)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28295

cheers.
HairyWill

#7 Post by HairyWill »

hillside wrote:Cooler yet, I went to my profile, then clicked on settings and found a little time sync button. It immediately grabbed my computer's time.
Using dingo beta 2, I set my timezone as London but the sync button kept telling me +/- (can't remember) 7UTC. I also noticed that my last.fm profile showed the song I had just listened to as being played 7 hours ago. I changed the timezone to +0 UTC, no improvement. Restarted X, no joy. Rebooted and now it is spot on. :-)
<edit>no it was still an hour out so I set it to UTC +1 and now I think it is OK</edit>