Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

puppyluvr

#3 Post by puppyluvr »

Hello

Yes, many Puppies run OpenOffice, and its easy to install, especially with the SFS file.

Here is a screenshot of my Transitions Puppy with some OpenOffice applications open..
Attachments
PuppyOpenOffice.jpg
(100.6 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

NathanO

#4 Post by NathanO »

Yes, on one machine I used a .pet package, on the other I use a .sfs package.

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

Whether I run a frugal, or full, install, I run OOffice from an .sfs via a simple script. I'm at a complete loss as to why so many have a problem getting OOffice going?

ol_smokey

#6 Post by ol_smokey »

Running it as an .sfs in Nearly Office Puppy 4.00 here.

No problems to report.

wolfwatcher51

#7 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Some noob help please.

I am using puppy 402

I followed a link from a forum member's signature and d'loaded openoffice 2.4.1sfs file

I placed it in mnt/home. I rebooted. I went to boot manager and selected it and used add to place it in the right hand panel. I rebooted again.

When I click on the start button and look through all the listings, I cannot find openoffice listed.

What have I done wrong, or what have I not done that I need to?

Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

davidA

#8 Post by davidA »

You might want to check out

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5f955053de

Note: I answered your post as I am a noob here, And you said:

<quote>

Some noob help please

</quote>

Note2:

I have never used open office on Puppy, although I use it all the time on Ubuntu - or used to, I am switching over (slowly) to Puppy (as my main machine) - it runs much faster on old hardware.

HairyWill

#9 Post by HairyWill »

what happens if you try starting it from the console, ie
swriter
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

JonGl

#10 Post by JonGl »

NathanO wrote:Yes, on one machine I used a .pet package, on the other I use a .sfs package.
Man, I must have chosen like the dumbest way possible to run OOo. I downloaded the beta of 3 from openoffice.org's web site, unpacked it to the top level of my hard drive (outside the puppy save file), and simply open that folder, and click on one of the scripts located in there in rox, and it opens the corresponding app--writer, calc, etc. It just worked for me, and this is the latest beta on a PII 366. :-) Yes, it launches a bit slow, and draws initially slowly, but I can work in it ok--when I need to.

-Jon

playdayz

JonGl's way makes sense to me

#11 Post by playdayz »

@JonGL, your way of running OOo makes perfect sense to me. You do it yourself--you update when you want to--no waiting--it works--you know where it is and what's been done to your computer. We need more of your kind of dumb!

wolfwatcher51

#12 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Thanks all for the replies.

davidA yes, I had seen the thread you directed me to. Unfortunately, I did not understand what JB4x4's comments actually meant. I got it now, I think.
I believe he is saying that there are no entries in the menu under the start button and no desktop icons were provided or installed, so it does not "look" like it installed/loaded.

No wonder I did not think the openoffice sfs had loaded/installed anything. I see now the files in /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program directory. I drag them onto the desktop and then assign them an icon in order to use them?

How would I get an openoffice entry in the start window and then have each of the programs listed under the openoffice entry so they could be clicked on to open the application?

HarryWill, a question if you would. When I typed scalc in the console it came back with bad command or something similar. In order to open scalc from the console I had to enter the full path /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/scalc for it to open. So, I guess that puppy does not go look for a match to what you entered, you have to tell it exactly where to find the program?

JonGI, Please clarify for us noobs. You d'loaded a tarball? Then you extracted it to /mnt/home? The scripts you clicked in there in rox were there, or did you have to write them?

Thanks in advance,Chris.

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

wolfwatcher51,

OOffice is one of those applications that are sort of self-contained, (others are java & firefox), in that you can extract it virtually anywhere, click on one of it's main programs, and they'll run.

But to run scalc from the commandline, you'll need to create a symlink from it, to say /usr/bin, so that's it's in puppy's executable search path.

Code: Select all

ln -s /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/scalc /usr/bin
Also, to put it in your menu, you need to create an scalc.desktop file. You would need something like this:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Scalc
Icon=scalc.png
Comment=Scalc
Exec=/opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/scalc
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-Calculate
GenericName=Scalc
save as /usr/share/applications/scalc.desktop, then run the command fixmenus, then restart the window manager, and it should be in your menu. Follow a similar procedure with sdraw, swriter, simpress etc.

N.B. You will need to change the line for the icon to reflect the actual location of whichever icon you want to use.

wolfwatcher51

#14 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

muggins,

Thanks for the reply. Your instructions/explanation is very clear and much appreciated.

I will give them a go when I get home later this pm.

Thanks, Chris.

JonGl

#15 Post by JonGl »

wolfwatcher51 wrote: JonGI, Please clarify for us noobs. You d'loaded a tarball? Then you extracted it to /mnt/home? The scripts you clicked in there in rox were there, or did you have to write them?
That's why I said my way was dumb.... It doesn't do anything for you. You have to set it all up yourself, and figure it out.

I think that muggins' post probably answered your questions, as to what to do better than I could, but I'll try to answer your questions straight.

I did a frugal install of puppy4. That means that my normal file system is the save file, which is limited--I think mine is about 1 gig. However, at the moment, I have 120 meg free--not a good situation, so I moved my OOo directory outside of that to the /mnt/home folder, which is the real top level of my internal hard drive. Once there, I simply open Rox to that location, and inside the OOo folder, are scripts for launching the various parts of OOo--writer, calc, impress, draw, etc. I can click on one of those icons in Rox, and they open. It's not so elegant and automated, but then again, I don't use OOo much. I typically use Abiword (but not Gnumeric. I like Calc, so that's what I use). I suppose that, were I truly smart, I could drag the scripts from the OOo folder to the desktop, thereby creating desktop shortcuts, but I only just now thought of that. ;-) duh.... I wonder if it would work...

In any case, I hope this clarifies. Sorry to be vague, but I really didn't recommend it for anybody else. :-)

-Jon

alienjeff

#16 Post by alienjeff »

Yes. Open Office v1.1.4 - all three packages installed using the PETGET package manager in Puppy v2.12. Works flawlessly on this 800-MHz Pentium III box.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]