Upgrading Firefox

Booting, installing, newbie
malderson

Upgrading Firefox

#1 Post by malderson »

I have Firefox 2 on Puppy 3.01. I'd like to upgrade with to Firefox 3 with the PET package from /bugs. Should I un-install Firefox 2 first, or will it just install over the previous version like it does in Windows and Macs?

malderson

Was missing dependancies

#2 Post by malderson »

I decided to go ahead and try it. The Firefox-3.0.1.pet from tpp/bugs seemed to install over the prior version, but it turned out that there were a sizable number of missing dependencies, and Firefox 3 would not start.

Chasing down and installing dependencies is not something I felt up to, so I uninstalled Firefox 3 and and reinstalled Firefox 2.0.0.11, then did an upgrade back to 2.0.0.16. It too has a few missing dependencies, but at it runs anyway. Two hours later, I'm back where I started, and everything is working again.

So here's another question. If there are missing dependencies in Puppy, can one simply find library files on the web and copy them into the right directory, or must they be compiled for Puppy before they can be used? Since this is Puppy 3.01, would Slackware versions of the libraries be the way to go? One thing I've never figured out about Linux is how exclusive files are to specific flavors or distributions.

malderson

Let Firefox do it!

#3 Post by malderson »

OK, I got Firefox updated to 3.0.1. Turns out the answer was to wait for Firefox to pop-up a notice that an update was available, then let Firefox do the update automatically. That seems to have taken care of the dependencies that are apparently missing from the PET package. in tpp/bugs. YMMV.

I'd tried the same procedure previously with Seamonkey, but that got me a source code package that would have needed to be compiled before installation. I only sort of understand source code, and don't have devx installed, so I couldn't complete the process. This time, Firefox took care of it automatically.

That still leaves me wondering about dependencies work in Linux.

How do you fix missing dependencies? If I needed a particular library file and can find it on the web, can I simply download a copy and put in the appropriate directory, or would it have to be "compiled" for Puppy first (using devx)? How interchangeable are the files from different Linux distributions? For that matter, how would I know WHERE to put a dependency if I found it? The PET installer tells what dependencies are missing, but not where they go.

I started using Puppy, in part, to learn about how Linux works, but dependencies still confuse me. I assume they are like DLL's In Windows. A Windows program looks first in it's own directory for a needed .dll file, then in the Windows directory, or in the Win32 directory. Linux may follow a similar plan, but I have yet to decipher it.

Bruce B

Re: Let Firefox do it!

#4 Post by Bruce B »

malderson wrote:
That still leaves me wondering about dependencies work in Linux.

How do you fix missing dependencies? If I needed a particular library file and can find it on the web, can I simply download a copy and put in the appropriate directory, or would it have to be "compiled" for Puppy first (using devx)? How interchangeable are the files from different Linux distributions? For that matter, how would I know WHERE to put a dependency if I found it? The PET installer tells what dependencies are missing, but not where they go.
I could answer in a generic sense.

In this case I'll answer with specificity. What dependencies are we talking about? Why?

I downloaded Firefox 3.0.1 from the vendor, and installed it in Dingo 4.00. There were no dependency issues at all.

What have we done differently?

malderson

#5 Post by malderson »

What we did differently is I first tried to use the Firefox-3.0.1.pet from the http://www.puppylinux.ca/bugs/ repository to do the install in Puppy 3.01. Usually those work quite well, but not this time. The missing dependencies were enough to keep Firefox from starting at all.

I can no longer answer specifically what was missing. I got Firefox 3 installed by letting Firefox 2.0.0.16 handle the upgrade from the vendor. Because the PETget Manager didn't do the upgrade it cannot test my current version, but it was likely this list which I just found elsewhere in the Forum:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=213246

Most PETS I have installed have thrown up a few dependencies, but usually the programs work anyway. Assuming I was trying to fix a dependency and the Forum didn't have an immediate answer, how would I go about it? Even if I can find a file on the internet, it is usually listed for other distribtions than Puppy. How do I chose a compatible library file or figure out where to put it?

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

malderson wrote:What we did differently is I first tried to use the Firefox-3.0.1.pet from the http://www.puppylinux.ca/bugs/ repository to do the install in Puppy 3.01. Usually those work quite well, but not this time. The missing dependencies were enough to keep Firefox from starting at all.
Malderson,

I think I understand, maybe too well. It seems that package needs redone or pulled or something.

The first time I ran into this, I got curious and installed Firefox v3.0.1 from the vendor. The topic became fairly long, and I think you'll find it interesting.

Where to find libraries needed by Firefox?

The most important is; and sorry if I'm not reading right, is Firefox working properly for you now? (wanting to know if you need help)

------------

If it's working, then I'll answer the question of missing dependencies in a general way.

Regards,

Bruce

malderson

#7 Post by malderson »

Yes, Firefox 3.0.1 is working now. The general question is the one I'm now asking.

The link you gave is an interesting discussion. I shall have to study it.

Thanks.

LaneLester

#8 Post by LaneLester »

Bruce B wrote:The first time I ran into this, I got curious and installed Firefox v3.0.1 from the vendor. The topic became fairly long, and I think you'll find it interesting.

Where to find libraries needed by Firefox?
I just used the procedure described by Eyes-Only in that thread, and it worked perfectly.

Lane