pen drive puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
cidsamir

pen drive puppy

#1 Post by cidsamir »

I found this puppy4.0 in aug2008. I install it to a 2GB transcend pendrive after FAT32 formatting.It nicely boot in PC and works well but....

when i connect the pendrive in to window environment like vista/xp/xp2/xp3 there is a messege comes that
"disk is not formatted do u want to do it now""

now i am unable to use my pendrive as storage device in window mode.
but i love puppyOS to use in pendrive.

note- there is a OS "Damn Small Linux" which makes a pendrive bootable as well as its work in winows.

now plz help me to make my pendrive bootable as well as storage device in window platform

thanks

Scoticus

pen drive puppy

#2 Post by Scoticus »

Like you I have 4.0 on a drive. To use it with a PC using Windows I have to ensure that the boot cycle is properly set.

At home I have the cycle set to read any USB drive followed by CD/DVD drive and finally the Hard Drive and starting up with the USB attached works a treat. If I am anywhere else I have to when booting access the setup using on my system F12 and then picking the USB drive to boot. It is as easy as that.

Trust this assists

Bruce B

Re: pen drive puppy

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Hi Sidsamir,

I don't know what tools you use on the pen drive.

If you formatted the partition with Microsoft's format, you would not have a choice about what FAT it formatted. MS Format would make the decision based on how the disk was partitioned.

From your post, I have no idea if you partitioned it and formatted it, or what you did.

What I think you should do is partition it with microsoft fdisk and format it with the microsoft fdisk.

The reason why is. if Microsoft tools prepare the disk, their OS will like it. Another reason is you have less options, and because of this less chance to make an error. Moreover, Linux won't have a bit of problem with it.

During your partitioning with fdisk, it might warn you if it is not bootable, but if it doesn't, try and activate as bootable. You can also check the boot status and other things with the fdisk.

If you fdisk a hard disk, the microsoft fdisk will have you reboot the computer before the format. I don't know if it will ask the same thing with a flash drive.

You can use the fdisk to prepare it for a fat32 format if you want, but I don't see any advantage to it at all, the fat16 being less overhead and faster.

I gave you the long way to do it. The short way, which might work swell is; answer yes to the question "disk is not formatted do u want to do it now""

But, I'm sort of thorough and want to make sure everything is just so. You can use the fdisk to look over the disk to see that it's bootable and all that, without making changes. You can also use Puppy's tools to look at it.

After you make your drive pleasing to Microsoft and Linux is also happy with it, the next steps would be to make your Puppy Frugal Install to it.

Post back

Bruce