would love toswitch from windows to linux

Booting, installing, newbie
oldog1984

would love toswitch from windows to linux

#1 Post by oldog1984 »

would love to switch all mt computers over to a linux only just don't know if i can do all the things i like? don't know which programs which are = to the ones i use in windows. i use dvd shirk,dvd decrypter,nero,for backing up all my dvd's utorrent to download,ck out a program called spice works its free tells what all on your network. internet . email. and would like to keep the computer password so know one can just get on it.don't mine running as root. i do in windows anyways. sorry for the long post anyone know a ver of linux and the programs i would really appreciate. thanks alot
darrelljon

#2 Post by darrelljon »

Puppy Linux and its derivatives run as root. Most don't ask for a password but PCPuppyOS is one which I think does.
Ripping DVDs isn't quite on a par with Windows IMHO.
Though K3b on Linux is enough for me. It does some decryption but not hardcore stuff like Macrovision Ripguard.
Dunno enough about network management to suggest an alternative to Spiceworks soz.
oldog1984

#3 Post by oldog1984 »

ok thanks
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

Not an easy question to answer.
When I was thinking about trying Linux I first made a list of the programs I used in Windows and I would have in Linux as well.
I looked if there was a Linux version. Example I use SeaMonkey in Windows and I saw puppy did use SeaMonkey so I was happy about that. I also use OpenOffice and through reading the forums of puppy I saw there was OpenOffice also. Again I was happy.
And so I checked my list.

When no Linux version was available I did search for an equivalent.

You can imagine this is a long process, but it is a process you have to do yourself.

Also you can start working with the live-cd and a personal save file (pup_save) on one of your machines. This doesn't harm your Windows machine and you can try-out things.

Success.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
GeoffS

#5 Post by GeoffS »

There is another approach. It is one that I've slowly drifted into.
I tried to find Linux equivalents for all my programs but some just fell into the "too hard basket'.
Some cheap (AUS$30) hardware from the local recycling centre and I have a 'Windows' box. It is networked to the main computer which runs Puppy. The important thing about the Windows box is that it is isolated from the Internet (locked out by the router) so it does not catch viruses etc. Using a KVM switch it can share the same keyboard etc. so no loss of desktop space.
Now, if I find a Linux program that may replace a Windows one, I can try it and make comparisons, but if I don't like it I can stay with the Windows version. I've no intention of ever buying another version of Windows so if I want to run a Windows program that won't run on XP - too bad.
The approach may not suit you and it is probably a cop-out but it has made my life a little easier!
Cheers
Geoff
oldog1984

#6 Post by oldog1984 »

thanks for the replys guys it does help i been playing with different ver. of puppy and other linux for awhile just a slow learner the older i get the hard thing are . when it comes to computers.. lol
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#7 Post by Béèm »

There is another thing to consider.
When no suitable native Linux program is found, you can always try to run it in Wine.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
2byte

#8 Post by 2byte »

Speaking of Wine, there is a script called winetricks that has been invaluable to me for getting my win apps to run with Wine.

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Vern