Is there a Puppy aimed at teenagers?

Booting, installing, newbie
gazz

Is there a Puppy aimed at teenagers?

#1 Post by gazz »

i'm pretty computer illiterate, used to windowz machines where everything just works.

i've tried puppy before, but could never get the wifi to work.

so i was wondering if there's a version of puppy aimed at teenagers (has things like frostwire, media players etc already installed) that will work with a HP G5000 series laptop,
have now got a USR 5421 usb wifi dongle, so hopefully the problems of before with the internal wifi card can be avoided,

i know i could just download puppy and add the proggies i want, but i recall there used to be a teen pup with all the stuff teenagers use already ithere, but apparantly it's been changed now to work on older computers.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
rjbrewer

#3 Post by rjbrewer »

Puppy versions 4.1 and newer contain rndis_wlan drivers
for usr5421 dongle. Teen pup may be based on an older distro.

rjb

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
Bruce B

Re: puppy for teenager

#4 Post by Bruce B »

gazz wrote:i'm pretty computer illiterate, used to windowz machines where everything just works.
You did buy Windows separately and then popped the disk in the, well any given computer, and it all just worked. If you did, count it a rare experience.

If you bought an OEM computer, that's a no-brainer. The OEM wants your MONEY, it does not want the computer returned because it doesn't just work. They will mass produce computers with all the drivers and configuration necessary for that one particular product to work. If it works, chances are they get to keep your money. And chances are it will just work, at least for a while.

So with Windows everything just works, that's where the credit goes?

If you even remotely believe that one, try it out. You can have a choice of Vista or Vista, because that's what they sell.

Buy the disc, pop it in any given PC, give draconian license approval, see if it passes the 'just works' test.
gazz

#5 Post by gazz »

well my desktop pooter is my brothers old one, he gave it me minus a hard drive, so i bought one, got a copy of vista buiseness off my dad (he has the small company 10 user pack)

popped the disc in, waited ages, and everything worked when it was finished.

now i dont expect puppy to do this, im not dissing it or anything, just for some reason puppy hates my wifi cards,

in my laptop it's got a built in broadcom mini pci wifi card, puppy can find that, configure it, find my router, but wont connect, after 2 or 3 tried it turns the wifi adaptor off and it wont re-start till i re-boot.

the us robotics usb dongle i cant get to load,

i tried puppy on my desktop, and again it can find the wifi card, can detect the network, but wont connect (i have a wpa/tkip key, and am entering it correctly)

i'm posting this from puppy, but connected to the router via a lan cable,

so i'm wondering what i'm doing wrong, if puppy can find my network, but cant connect, i imagine i'm doing something wrong with the security??

blinky shows lots of bytes sent, but hardly any received.

i'm just not good enough with computers to do the technical stuff, what seems easy to you guys is a foreign language to me.
gazz

#6 Post by gazz »

ok, decided i want to learn about linux, so going to start with puppy 4, the latest version released in december last year, (4.1.2?)

i will add the bits i want to it (a few chat clients, frostwire, torrent thingies etc) then compile a cd with it all on, as my desktop wont boot off a usb key, then once i'm happy i can run the laptop off the cd too and get used to linux.

But this wifi thing has stopped me in my tracks,
i can get on the net when i use a lan cable, i can find my wifi and the others ones in the street using the puppy wifi search thing, it just wont connect,

i'm thinking it's the wep/wap key stuff thats not doing it's stuff, as it seems to get through everything except the final connection (i get a '4 way handshake' then 'authorising' then it times out when connecting with a wpa/tkip key which my router is set to)

i have tried all the other security settings, i.e. wep, wpa, wpa2 or is it wep2, i get the furthest with the one thats got tkip on it, sorry i have problems with my short term memory, i was playing with this an hour ago and cant recall all the names.

only thing i havent tried is putting my router into open mode.

can anyone help? i read about some people finding that some of the wifi protocols dont get loaded sometimes, and am wondering if that's whats happening with my set up,

but please remember, i am pretty thick with computers, usually relying on links that do things for me, or a step by step account of what to do,

i know im not the ideal person to try linux, the reason i want to do it now is the hard drive died in my desktop last night.. physicaly, graunched and groaned then the motor stopped, smells of burning when power is applied so i guess it's seized up,
so untill i can afford a new HD, i want to run the computer on puppy from a CD/usb key.
PaulBx1

#7 Post by PaulBx1 »

Look at the first thread in the "How To" board. The network wizard is pretty good, but sometimes you need to use the command line.
gazz

#8 Post by gazz »

tar, the command line confuses the hell out of me, but seems that's how i need to sort this.

think i've found out it's the type of encryption my router uses, that wpa/tkip thingy, need to load/add something extra to make that bit work in puppy, or switch the router to a basic encription setting.
gazz

#9 Post by gazz »

No sucsess with the laptop so far, but i have got the desktop on the net with puppy wirelessly, i had to put my router into open mode, and do a wrapper thingy on the windowz driver i got off the disc that came with the wifi card.

i even managed to download java and get that working, added the proggies i wanted, and managed to make a re-mastered puppy disc.

the disc works fine, but if i try to install it to a usb pen drive, it wont load, keeps getting a kernel panic when loading from the usb drive.

Anyway, still having problems with the wifi on the laptop,

i've been told the latest release of puppy, which i am using, has the USR 5421 driver in it, rndis_wlan, is this to be found when loading a module to run the wifi card?? becasue i cant find anything like that listed, nothing ends with _wlan at all.

i have the windowz driver for the usr 5421 dongle, but it's a self installing .exe file, not sure how to get into it and get hold of the .inf file,
cthisbear

#10 Post by cthisbear »

gazz

"but if i try to install it to a usb pen drive, it wont load, "

""""""""
Have you tried GParted after universal install to see that

LBA and Boot??? are checked.

Some USBs are rubbish and you have to try different install options.

You have tried different USB ports???
This is critical sometimes.

Could you get another cheap USB to try.

I have 4 USBs working with different Puppies.

I would try again if none of the above work.
Let GParted format your USB again.
Don't format your hard drive.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38704

Chris.
straypup

wifi

#11 Post by straypup »

I too have an oddball dongle ( an 8187b Realtek) that requires ndis. To the inf file I usually need only to mount the cd with pmount and it is visible.. It is possible you might have to open each individual file,(mine is located in drivers) but it should be there. Also there are several threads about problems with broadcom driver. Just search and there might be a solution. Hope this helps.
stray