Does Puppy support onboard ALC889a audio?

Booting, installing, newbie
michels

Does Puppy support onboard ALC889a audio?

#1 Post by michels »

I am planning on building a new computer setup and would like the Puppy part of it to support audio. I have tried the emu 0404 without success on my current system. Will the onboard ALC889a chipset on the newer Gigabyte motherboards be recognized? Is there a higher end soundcard (usb or internal) for pro audio that will be recognized /supported? I plan on using the AMD Phenom II 720 but most of the motherboards supporting the CPU have the ALC889a audio chipset. I can continue using my old system but would like to upgrade, but audio is the key right now.

Thanks
mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

From the alsa site there is support but possibly broken in 1.1.16...latest puppy uses alsa 1.1.16 but at some point will use a later version.
See / join this hda thread here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22383

I personally use cmi8738 cards as they are cheap, do 5/6 channels , sound just dandy and every OS I've tried can drive them

mike
michels

#3 Post by michels »

Thanks for the reply and info. I really want to have a card that is ASIO compatible with Windoze for my primary music DAW/ application, but also compatible with Linux for internet and general playback. I recently read that the M-audio Delta 44 is good on most Linux Distros and that the OSS4 drivers support a good variety of cards also. But whether or not these compatible drivers come loaded on or work with Puppy is unknown to me.
The new ALC888 and ALC889a onboard soundchips have some good specs so I thought I might try them, but the ALC889a (on my prospective motherboard) seems to have problems with Linux?
Sound seems to still be a work in progress with Linux, but I keep searching for a good solution. And since I'm not a programmer, I'm caught in the middle.
mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Hmmm...alsa 1.1.17/18/19 needed it seems.....there have been lots of new additions in the hda family of sound chips recently.

The latest slitaz-cooking has alsa 1.1.17 ...might be worth trying the support there
http://www.slitaz.org/en/
puppy will update at some point but the focus at the moment is the 4.20 release.

mike