Pup dial says I am connected, but can not get online

Using applications, configuring, problems
ssrr

Pup dial says I am connected, but can not get online

#1 Post by ssrr »

Hi everyone, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

I am a new Linux user, this is my first Linux distro so I am a begginner.

I read through what I could find on getting online with a USB modem and saw a post where another forum member has the same modem I have and PM'd them to find out how they got it online in Puppy and they were kind enough to PM back with excellent instructions (thank you!) and following these instructions, Pupdial says I am connected.

I had gotten Pupdial / Puppy to "see" the modem before but I got no further on my own until I followed the instructions.

Pupdial now says I am connected.

I have the Seamonkey browser and I also have Opera (downloaded a PET package for Opera so is made for Puppy) and opening either one, I can not get online.

I tried rebooting, bookmarks in both browsers, I tried each browser by itself, not opened both at once and I can not get online and I don't yet know why.

I am emailing right now from another OS on the same machine (is another HDD) than Puppy, I have no problem getting online from this "side" using this same modem.

Was hoping someone may have suggestions / what I missed.

I know both browsers worked fine when I had the wireless on here before but I moved and now have a USB modem to get online.

Things need to know if anyone can help:

I have Puppy 4.2, it is on a HDD with only Linux installed, the "other" OS is on a different HDD, is in the same machine (configured GRUB to show all choices and boot everything on both HDD's until I can get Puppy online)

The Linux kernel in this Puppy is 2.6.26 - 2 - 686

The modem is Sierra Wireless USB 598 EVDO Network Adapter, the carrier is Sprint

Pupdial "sees" the modem and says is connected to the internet but I can not get online

Thank you very much for any help / suggestions
Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

1. Assuming you ARE indeed connected:
[Have you tried fetching emails? Or using "SaveMyModem"=smm to fetch headers from the mailserver?]
Perhaps you need to delete all the saved copies of web pages stored in you web browser's cache.
WHY?

2. Because...
If at any time you tried to get to a certain web page and that attempt failed...
That "Fail" web page would be saved in your cache...
And if your browser isn't configured to "refresh" at every visit, then the "Fail" copy in the browser cache would be displayed each time you visit that page [until the next refresh that is].

3. How to fix?
(a) "Refresh" the webpage...
OR...

(b) Delete that [or all] webpage[s] from the cache so that a new page MUST be fetched.
jafadmin

#3 Post by jafadmin »

Instead of trying different applications to test your internet connection, use "ping"

open a console window and type "ping 4.2.2.2" then press enter.

If nothing happens you're not really connected. If ping gets replies from that server, you are connected to the web.

ping is the standard tool for testing connectivity to another host. 4.2.2.2 is a globally accessible tier 1 server that is always on.

The reason this is important is that this test doesn't use DNS. Your browser and email can fail even though you are connected to the web if your DNS resolution is failing.
ssrr

#4 Post by ssrr »

Thank you jafadmin and Sylvander, I will try these right now and hopefully be posting again from the Puppy "side"

Thank you so much for your replies and sorry for the delay, I didn't get the computer at all yesterday but will try these right now, thank you.
ssrr

#5 Post by ssrr »

Hi. I "pinged", it does confrim I am connected.

So it appears is the browsers.

I cleared the cache of both browsers and all cookies, still getting error message from both browsers.

I will try uninstalling Opera and re install using a 'new' PET package for Opera, think I will install Firefox, any browser I will try, I want to use Puppy and not wholely have to rely on "the" other OS I having to use to get online right now.

I hope one of these works
jafadmin

#6 Post by jafadmin »

Before doing that, confirm that you have a DNS server set.

Try this command: ping yahoo.com

If it doesn't work, your DNS server settings aren't set correctly.
ssrr

#7 Post by ssrr »

I did this and it said "bad address"

I feel like an idiot but I am a beginer to Linux, how do I set the DNS server settings?

Thank you again for helping me
jafadmin

#8 Post by jafadmin »

open: /etc/resolv.conf and change it to read:

nameserver 4.2.2.1
nameserver 4.2.2.2

then save it.

Then at the console window type:

ping google.com

and see if it works.

Now, if that does work you have a problem with the DHCP server on your network not assigning a proper DNS server to clients. You'll need to check the settings in your router (or whatever dhcp server) to fix it. At any rate, it isn't a puppy problem, it's a network problem.

regards
ssrr

#9 Post by ssrr »

Thamk you for all your help and I am glad to know it isn't puppy or anything I did wrong.

I changed the nameserver as suggested so it is the network and / or the router and I don't know how to change those settings (yet).

Hope I can figure it out as I do NOT want to have to solely use "that" other OS on my own machine.

Thank you very much for your assistance and if anyone knows how to change the needed settings in the modem / or what I can do, I am all ears....
Benboom

#10 Post by Benboom »

ssrr, did you solve this? I'm having the same problem with a different USB modem.
ssrr

#11 Post by ssrr »

I dunno what kernel or version of puppy you are using, at the time of this post I was using 4.2.0.
I upgraded to 4.2.1 and I was able to get online after downloading the needed driver for my USB modem.
If you are already using 4.2.1, maybe try a different kernel, I had to change kernels to get it to boot but I also have a dinasaur machine (Pentium II)
I dunno if any help, I hope you get it working, I know is very frustrating to be so 'close' and yet not know why you still can't get online.
I also pm'd someone that DID get their modem to get online, I did find someone on here (after searching like you did) who had the same modem I do and they mentioned they had gotten it to work.
Hopefully someone with your modem got it online and they can tell you how they did it?
Just mentioning I also did this and the person was very helpful
muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

I don't know whether this is relevant to the situations above, but I had a usb modem that, when I connected to the net, would alter /etc/resolv.conf to:

nameserver 10.11.12.13
nameserver 10.11.12.14

consequently stopping browsing. The solution was to add the following line to /etc/ppp/options:

ipcp-max-failure 30
Benboom

#13 Post by Benboom »

My USB modem started working last night and I have NO idea why. I didn't do anything except uplug the old one I had been using and plug the non-working one in and reboot, something I have done several times already. I didn't have to mess with anythng at all, the machine just rebooted and connected immediately. Strength is 90 - 100% so I am deliriously happy (the old one was more like 20 - 30%). I have the zd1211rw-TP-Link-k2.6.25.16 pet package installed but it's been in the system for several days (configured as soon as I installed it).

My USB modem is a TP-Link -WN322G which was only $15, including shipping from Microbarn. Talk about a cheap solution! But there's nothing quite like feeling I'm not in control of what's going on. :D

Edit: Just rebooted after being shut down for a while and no connection with the TP-Link again. :-( And again, I haven't changed anything. Something is very erratic about this.