Puppy 4.3 Beta2 -- bugs and reports

Please post any bugs you have found
4-stroke

Re: Osmo not working

#121 Post by 4-stroke »

BarryK wrote: Works for me.
What locale do you use?
If something other than en_US, can you test, change to en_US then see if it works.
I'm using sv_SE now and osmo works for me.
Firefox

Full&Frugal HD install

#122 Post by Firefox »

Tried everything to get puppy to boot from hd, both full and frugal.
found the reason for grub problems --- ext2???.
By reformatting hd to ext3 everything came up ok.
I can`t remember if I used the new patched ubunto pet.
tlchost

#123 Post by tlchost »

rerwin wrote:Both the HSF modem driver and the Linuxant HDA ALSA patch should make your modem work with the HDA sound.
Which patch is that? My built-in technical abilities remind me of another life when I worked on a poultry farm...one of my jobs was to herd the turkeys inside when it was raining, as they simply looked up at the rain and drowned.
When you say the sound card is not detected, what does that mean?
When I run the ALSA setup, Puppy dutifully reports that it can not find any sound card, and asks me if I want to try....and gives a selection. None of them find my sound card(it's on the mobo).
Are the SND-HDA drivers showing in lsmod? The log suggests that they got loaded, along with the HSF modem drivers. Does the modem work? Did it ever work?
Hmmmm, once again my lack of knowledge exceeds the depth of the sea.....what command do I issue to see if they show up in lsmod? I'm not sure about the modem working....I have no phone line....but if I attempt to set it up, Puppy detects it....if I use the dialer, and uncheck the carrier, busy and dialtone detect items, and attempt to dial, the system freezesand has to be rebooted.
Somewhere I read that after installing the HDA patch, one should verify that the sound still works. Maybe you are finding that it doesn't.
I don't think I ever applied the patch

Sorry to be so dense.

Thom
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#124 Post by Lobster »

gonna try another keyboard.
yep - that solved it. So unless someone else mentions it,
probably a loose connection or the keyboard is going . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
darwinev0lved

#125 Post by darwinev0lved »

Has anybody got an sfs of openoffice to work? I've got one for 4.2.1 - I upgraded it using SFSconvert and it mounts fine after a restart. I can see all the files in

/opt/openoffice.org3/program

but if I click on soffice, nada - a little flicker of the icon, but no openoffice

Any ideas?

Regards, Jon
01micko

#126 Post by 01micko »

I did a save back to cd (well dvd actually) and it all worked fine except for one minor detail. When the drive ejected the disc at the end of the burn, it reloaded immediately, leaving me with the choice... do I press 'enter' or do I swear? I pressed enter. I imagine this would not be a problem on a laptop.

NB. I am using a new drive , an LG Lightscribe... I don't like it, so it may be that. My old faithful Pioneer refuses to burn any more dvds, it never had this issue on previous pups.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
trio

#127 Post by trio »

darwinev0lved wrote:Has anybody got an sfs of openoffice to work? I've got one for 4.2.1 - I upgraded it using SFSconvert and it mounts fine after a restart. I can see all the files in

but if I click on soffice, nada - a little flicker of the icon, but no openoffice

Any ideas?

Regards, Jon
Try to run in from terminal, not by clicking on it, and report the output
ecube

Gtkam: Save Photos does not work

#128 Post by ecube »

Gtkam locates my camera and shows photo thumbnails but "Save Photos" yields the response

# /usr/bin/gtkam
(gtkam:8430): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
Segmentation fault.

Problem confirmed with locale = en_US (I normally use sv_SE)

Puppy 421 using Gtkam (0.1.15) on the same computer is OK.
darwinev0lved

#129 Post by darwinev0lved »

trio wrote:
darwinev0lved wrote:Has anybody got an sfs of openoffice to work? I've got one for 4.2.1 - I upgraded it using SFSconvert and it mounts fine after a restart. I can see all the files in

Any ideas?

Regards, Jon
Try to run in from terminal, not by clicking on it, and report the output
#soffice
bash: soffice: command not found
trio

#130 Post by trio »

darwin

I just converted and load OpenOffice 3.0 sfs, all works perfectly, including menu items and desktop icons
darwinev0lved

#131 Post by darwinev0lved »

trio wrote:darwin

I just converted and load OpenOffice 3.0 sfs, all works perfectly, including menu items and desktop icons
Well I'll try 3.0 if I can't get 3.1 to work - but it's probably something minor / stupid given that the conversion did work and I can see the files.
I've put a symlink in /my-applications to soffice

Now when I run soffice from the terminal I get this

/root/my-applications/bin/soffice: line 124: /opt/openoffice.org3/prgram/.../basis-link/program/pagein: No such file or directory
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: eror while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is that any more help?
jakfish

#132 Post by jakfish »

tempestuous wrote:
jakfish wrote:Can I assume at this point there is not yet acpi support for the eee 700/900 series? Just want to make sure I haven't missed something.
Oops, I forgot about the ACPI stuff.
My earlier efforts involved patching of the standard asus_acpi module, plus adding the ACPI daemon utility.
But apparently there are now some dedicated Eee ACPI tools, so this subject deserves a fresh start. I will get to it eventually.
That would be wonderful. Beta1 stable enough for my everyday purposes, and I can test-only future releases on an SD card until you find the time. Let me know how I can help.

Many thanks,
Jake
01micko

#133 Post by 01micko »

jakfish

One thing.. when BarryK uploads a version (be it a beta or whatever) he usually uploads a 'woof' to go with it. That 'woof' usually has BarryK's latest configuration, such as, what distro, what packages ...etcetera .. (without going into too much detail.. it is a 4.3beta2 bug thread!). BarryK also offers a variety of kernels and of the four or five woofs I've built k2.6.25.16 has always been an option.

So, if you don't mind downloading a few hundred meg and have a spare five hours and a fastish (1.5GHz plus with 512 ram) box, build 4.3 yourself with the older kernel. It will come out essentially the same but may have bugs.

BarryK

I notice the gtk theme is identical to the one in upup-476. Maybe.. (and there is time) you should put out a request for a matching gtk theme for the Raymond Levang (provided by zigbert) wallpaper. Those blokes in the eyecandy thread go nuts when there is a challenge thrown out! Trio has made it easy too, with his 'maker' series, 'JWM theme maker', 'gtk theme maker'.. etc.

Just some food for thought. :)
jakfish

#134 Post by jakfish »

01micko--

Thanks for the tip, but I think that's bit beyond my ken. I like to help folks by guinea-piggying their hard work, yet taking on kernel compiling...

Congratulations, however, on your own aptitude,
Jake
01micko

#135 Post by 01micko »

jakfish wrote:01micko--

Thanks for the tip, but I think that's bit beyond my ken. I like to help folks by guinea-piggying their hard work, yet taking on kernel compiling...

Congratulations, however, on your own aptitude,
Jake
Er... you would not believe how easy woof is... no kernel compiling involved at all! As a matter of fact.. no as in zero.. compiling by user.. all done in the scripts!

(Sorry for getting off topic)
paulh177

#136 Post by paulh177 »

gtkam hangs and has to be killed after accessing my canon ixus750 (SD550).
it correctly identifies and connects to the camera. I descend the directory tree in the left pane, then once i clikc on the "100CANON" directory the "initialising camera" progress bar fills, stops and then the whole application is dead and has to be killed.
according to the output of dmesg it seems to have segfaulted
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#137 Post by Flash »

I've been running 4.3 beta 2 from a multisession DVD for a few days. It seems far more solid than beta 1. SeaMonkey closed all the time in beta 1. However, I discovered that SeaMonkey will close when I'm playing an mp3 file with gxine. This happened 3 times in a row. After I closed gxine, SeaMonkey worked fine again. There was 155 MB "free" at the time, according to the box in the bottom right of my screen. I have 512 MB total RAM. I think the same thing happened the other day when I was using mtPaint.

Another thing. This is a little hard to explain. The window that opens so I can navigate to the file I want, when I want to attach a file to a Yahoo mail message for instance, is so far to the upper left of my screen that I can't see some of the buttons, and I can't reach the part at the top of the window that would allow me to drag it around. I think the same window opened in another application, perhaps mtPaint, but I'm not sure.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]
darwinev0lved

#138 Post by darwinev0lved »

darwinev0lved wrote:
trio wrote:

Any ideas?

Regards, Jon

oops, my bad - completely missed the "you must not use a FAT directory" warning when upgrading old sfs to sfs4 - have now done so and all seems well. Perhaps we should make it flash a bit and shout "no really, all your simlinks will break if you do not obey this simple command" :oops:
rerwin

Connecting by HSF dialup modem hangs/freezes Puppy!

#139 Post by rerwin »

While setting up to support tlchost and his HSF-HDA-modem/soundboard issues, I encountered the same failure as he:
I'm not sure about the modem working....I have no phone line....but if I attempt to set it up, Puppy detects it....if I use the dialer, and uncheck the carrier, busy and dialtone detect items, and attempt to dial, the system freezesand has to be rebooted.
This is not good. I use the carrier-check and dialtone defaults (checked) and provide legitimate account info and see the same freezing. My guess is that the wvdial dialer that actually makes the call is going nuts (looping or worse). The caps- and num-lock lights on my keyboard flash, telling me the system is misbehaving. So what to do?
Three components have changed since the beta1:
- New kernel, which may be less tolerant of "tainting" drivers (such as the HSF driver,.containing proprietary code).
- New ALSA-driver version (1.0.16 to 1.0.20).
- The Linuxant patch to the ALSA driver.

So far, the symptoms we see regarding this combination of changes are:
- The HSF modem freezes Puppy, although (while developing the Intel 537 driver, I found) Pupdial works normally with the Intel537 driver.
- The ALSA driver is not detected by Puppy from the "Setup ALSA sound" Setup option. When I try that, the ALSA Wizard (alsaconf) announces that its version is 1.0.16! Does that need to be upgraded? Might it be impacted by the application of the Linuxant patch?

BTW, tlchost, Barry applied the patch for interfacing the HSF modem and HDA soundboard when he built the alsa-driver for the new kernel - that's not something you would do. Also, "lsmod" is the command to enter in a console window. (Click the 'console' icon to get the window.)

tlchost: Try blacklisting the HSF driver and reboot to see if anything changes regarding the sound issue. Use Menu > System > BootManager... then click the button to 'blacklist' a module. Select "hsfpcibasic2" and click "add", "Ok", "Quit", then reboot. BTW, I am attaching the files you sent me, in case anyone else can see something important I might have missed.

Regarding needing the ALSA Wizard: shouldn't Puppy just find the appropriate ALSA driver for an HDA soundboard? This is beyond my area of knowledge at this point, but maybe I cannot avoid getting into it. So, any advice about the sound-setup business is welcomed.

In the meantime, I will create a new HSF-driver dotpet from the official "full" source package from Linuxant, in case something in the "hybridization" of our unrestricted version is at fault for the freexing. I need to eliminate that as a possibility, as well as create a setup that matches what the Linuxant folks know, in case I need their advice.

This kind of issue is precisely why we have beta-test versions, so non-developers can find the areas we missed or cannot test, ourselves. Thanks to all who participate in checking out these beta versions.
Richard
Attachments
requestedfiles.zip
tlchost's log files re HDA soundboard issue.
(7.93 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
rjbrewer

#140 Post by rjbrewer »

Tried to do a full install on pc 4 times. All failed.

Tried both ext.2 and ext.3.

Failed to start X (both xorg and xvesa) twice.
Error 2 no diirectory? once.
No jwm tray, once.

Maybe bad burn? Will try again later.

Good news; my ath_pci cards also work with ath5k
in the new kernel.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs