Power Off while running Puppy - does it work?

Using applications, configuring, problems
alix_board

Power Off while running Puppy - does it work?

#1 Post by alix_board »

Hi @ all,

if i have an Power Off while running Puppy Linux, a system crash will be the consequence :-( ! That means i will become some failures if i restart the system.

Does anyone of you have an idea, what i can do if i have an voltage dip? Is it possible that i load all the data in the RAM (I have 512MB). Or are there other solutions?

Thanks a lot!

greets,
alix_board

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

if you have frugal install regularly backup your pupsave somewhere then just swap it in when you crash. i didnt know austria was vying to be a third world country.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

alix, the standard remedy for voltage dips and the like is a battery-powered UPS of the kind that continually charges the battery, while the battery powers the computer through an inverter.

If the dip is of short duration, larger storage capacitors in the computer's power supply should do the trick.

alix_board

#4 Post by alix_board »

@ aarf:
My concern is, if someone plug off the power consumption for example, the puppy system will crash and do not run again without any failure!

@ Flash:
Yes, it would be possible that i plug in a rechargeable battery.

But in the other case, if there no rechargeable battery or UPS systems - are there any other possibilities to save puppy after power off?

greets,
alix_board

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

If it is a frugal setup then the problem is that the pup_save uses ext2 so does not fix itself after a power off...either booting with pfix=fsck or running fsck /path/to/pup_save.2fs from a pfix=ram session usually helps.

If it is a full install then cerain files are not cleaned up after a power fail since it is normally done in initrd.gz but full installs do not have this. A fix for this was made but not all puppies include it.

mike

alix_board

#6 Post by alix_board »

Hi mikeb,

i have a puppy full installation! For which puppy version is this fix available and where can i get it?

greets,
alix_board

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36944

the script from viperpiper...you will soon see if it's already included or not.

mike