4.3.1 boots from flash drive, but with an error message

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
laserman

4.3.1 boots from flash drive, but with an error message

#1 Post by laserman »

I installed Puppy version 4.3.1 to a flash drive. Since then, I have installed and remove a few programs (Firefox, Realplayer, Codeweaver). When booting up just recently, I have noted an error message. It is a pretty large sum of information to type and I have a picture of the screen with the data, just not sure how to post it here or embed it in the post. Tried to attach but it wouldn't allow it. Picture is formated in png.

Puppy continues to boot up and I am not experiencing any issues, just noted the error message and wondered if it was something I did? I'm about as green as they come with Linux. Learning a bunch as each day comes by and would like to understand what this error deals with for future reference.

Thanks,

John

steevieb

#2 Post by steevieb »

Welcome to the forum.
Try saving as .jpg and make the size 600x480 max, make sure the file size is below 1MB and it should upload.

laserman

#3 Post by laserman »

Here is the attachment.
Attachments
Puppy Linux error.jpg
(56.78 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

steevieb

#4 Post by steevieb »

You seem to be missing usbcore.ko and usbhid.ko. These are usb drivers.
You have a different kernel version to me, but I can upload if you wish (67k & 16k).
Someone else may have correct version, or a better idea.

Start rxvt, and type

Code: Select all

modinfo usbcore
modinfo usbhid
to see information on these modules

If found, type

Code: Select all

modprobe usbcore
modprobe usbhid
to load modules.

Hint: Pressing Up arrow will rewrite the last line you typed, so you just need to change the end.

laserman

#5 Post by laserman »

I booted the computer from the CD Rom where I had originally downloaded the 4.3.1 version. I found the two files you mentioned and loaded them in the proper directory. It cleared part of my error. The USB error is cleared.

I did not take notes when I tried to load some of the programs so I am extracting from memory. I believe some of the errors I am experiencing were from one of those packages but I am unable to determine where they came from. There was a version of firefox where someone had put a package together, either an .SFS or .PET so you could load 2.0.0.20 firefox into your Puppy Linux without bogging it down. I was not able to make it work so I uninstalled (or believed to have uninstalled) what I attempted to install. Because I actually do have enough memory and machine to run Puppy with Firefox 3.5, I reverted to doing just that and installed it. It runs fine other than the little quirk when I boot up.

Referring back to the image, now, I am just getting the first two lines of the error originally posted:

-sh: setenv: command not found.

Where would this be written and/or corrected, and should I be concerned?

Because I don't have a lot initiated, it would not be difficult to just start from scratch, now understanding what I need to do from here, but I would also like to help others if they, too, have experienced this similar problem, and help post something worth solving this, if possible. Thanks for your assitance.

John

laserman

#6 Post by laserman »

Following up with my previous post, when I open up my terminal window, I get the same error.

bash: setenv: command not found

Hope this helps isolate where the problem may be.

John

steevieb

setenv

#7 Post by steevieb »

You have the latest version, and it has bugs still. Other people are getting the same error. (Search for 'setenv' on forum)
The script will probably just ignore it and carry on, as long as it works it will not hurt anything,although it is not right.
You could submit a bug report here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47563