How to make a WPA connection with a D-Link DWL650+?

heywoodj

How to make a WPA connection with a D-Link DWL650+?

#1 Post by heywoodj »

I'm having problems establishing a wireless connection with a D-Link DWL-650+ A1 CardBus wireless card, supposedly with a TI ACX100 chipset, to a WPA-PSK encrypted access point.

I have good connection when the encryption is turned off.

The(ancient) hardware: Toshiba Portege 7020CT (PII 366 MHZ, 196 Mb, 20G hard drive)
The software:Triple boot: Puppy 4.2.0, full install; GEEXBOX; Win2K and a small swap partition
The router: Linksys WRT54G v.4 running wrt-dd

Things I have tried:
1. Network Wizard installs ndiswrapper (and blacklists acx and acx-mac80211)to use the TIACXLN.inf driver(creates a tiacxln folder in ndiswrapper folder), it sees the encrypted network, but times out without connecting.
1a. Setup ndiswrapper through the commandline, also tried various versions of ndiswrapper including 1.51,1.52,1.53(current) and 1.55. This is where I discovered that the ndiswrapper folder shouldn't contain multiple drivers.
2. Tweaked the both the xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.WPA.conf for Network Wizard and wpa_supplicant.conf for commandline. trying ap_scan of 0, 1 and 2 , also trying hex and ASCII values for psk.
3. For the commandline method, ifconfig wlan0 up, modprobed aes_generic, crc32c, ecb, arc4, and crypto_blkcipher(are these necessary for 4.2.X?) as well as the wifi driver, ndiswrapper. Removed stale wpa_supplicant from /var/run .

Here is the debug output from the wpa_supplicant command:

# wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd
Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
Configuration file '/etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
ap_scan=2
update_config=1
Line: 8 - start of a new network block
ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=6):
64 64 2d 77 72 74 dd-wrt
scan_ssid=1 (0x1)
PSK (ASCII passphrase) - hexdump_ascii(len=9): [REMOVED]
proto: 0x1
key_mgmt: 0x2
pairwise: 0x8
group: 0x8
PSK (from passphrase) - hexdump(len=32): [REMOVED]
Priority group 0
id=0 ssid='dd-wrt'
Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0

ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: Invalid argument

SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=22 WE(source)=18 enc_capa=0x5
capabilities: key_mgmt 0x5 enc 0x7
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5
Own MAC address: 00:05:5d:5a:85:81
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures
wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Added interface wlan0
RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1002 ()
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wlan0' added
State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
Trying to associate with SSID 'dd-wrt'
Cancelling scan request
WPA: clearing own WPA/RSN IE
Automatic auth_alg selection: 0x1
WPA: No WPA/RSN IE available from association info
WPA: Set cipher suites based on configuration
WPA: Selected cipher suites: group 8 pairwise 8 key_mgmt 2 proto 1
WPA: clearing AP WPA IE
WPA: clearing AP RSN IE
WPA: using GTK TKIP
WPA: using PTK TKIP
WPA: using KEY_MGMT WPA-PSK
WPA: Set own WPA IE default - hexdump(len=24): dd 16 00 50 f2 01 01 00 00 50 f2 02 01 00 00 50 f2 02 01 00 00 50 f2 02
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
State: SCANNING -> ASSOCIATING
wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
wpa_driver_wext_associate
Setting authentication timeout: 60 sec 0 usec
EAPOL: External notification - EAP success=0
EAPOL: External notification - EAP fail=0
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b1a len=14
Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.
Added BSSID 00:00:00:00:00:00 into blacklist
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
State: ASSOCIATING -> DISCONNECTED
wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
EAPOL: External notification - EAP success=0
Setting scan request: 0 sec 0 usec
State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
... ad infinitum

Since I'm not connected I haven't gotten to dhcpcd yet.

I should say I have had success with WPA on this router using a borrowed WiFi card, a Belkin Wireless G (model F5D7010), both through Network Wizard and commandline. The .conf files needs to have ap_scan set to =1.

Other than that, the Belkin card (b43 driver)connects painlessly, using the same wpa_supplicant command as above, and then using dhcpcd from another rxvt, I'm up and running.

Comparing the successful debug output from the Belkin with the above unsuccessful output, I saw that things started to go awry at the line...

ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: Invalid argument

that I isolated above.

Ironically, I had this card running with WPA earlier, but can't seem to duplicate the earlier success, including a complete wiping of the hard drive with DBAN and re-installation of everything.
I've since renamed the native drivers (acx.ko and acx_80211.ko) as well as blacklisting them just in case they were being used.
I've also tried a new wpa_supplicant, v. 0.6.9, rather than v. 0.5.10, but saw no real difference although got slightly different messages.
I have also reinstalled Puppy 4.20 a couple of times, since I've had some hard crashes that don't seem to clean up with e2fsck.

So, what does the "ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: Invalid argument" refer to, and how do I correct it? I being stubborn, want to use this ornery card, if possible.

Thanks.
fernan

#2 Post by fernan »

Just an idea:

My puppy connects only using WPA2 and not WPA, even if the router says it supports WPA and WPA2.

Booting Ubuntu instead of Puppy, in the same machine, never connected until I changed the encription algorithm in the router from "TKIP or AES" to "AES".
heywoodj

#3 Post by heywoodj »

fernan wrote:Just an idea:

My puppy connects only using WPA2 and not WPA, even if the router says it supports WPA and WPA2.
An interesting idea,though when I tried it, the D-Link wouldn't work with WPA2 while the Belkin worked with both WPA2 as well as WPA. I think I had no luck with WEP with either card though my recollection is a little hazy,

But on the bright side, right now I upgraded to a full install of Puppy 4.2.1 (from 4.2.0) and with the troublesome D-Link, did the WiFi from the commandline as per tempestuous' tutorial: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1234147294

It's working with WPA, BUT I'm on a different router, a Westell 327W.

It remains to be seen whether I can negotiate WPA on the Linksys router. I'll find out over the next couple of days.

And looking at the debug output from the successful connection,it seems the line I was concerned about, "ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: Invalid argument" was a red herring as the successful connection has this as well as the unsuccessful attempt.
rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

Some interesting history on that dlink card by rperkin.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r205090 ... PA2PSK-AES

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
heywoodj

#5 Post by heywoodj »

Now that I have retried connecting using the same commands that were successful on the Westell 327W router, they still don't work on the Linksys54g router.
This makes me think the problem may be as much how the Linksys router works, rather than just being the D-link wireless card problem.

Just for the record, the borrowed Belkin card works without drama with WPA on both routers.
rjbrewer wrote:Some interesting history on that dlink card by rperkin.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r205090 ... PA2PSK-AES
I saw this discussion, and only tried WPA2 unsuccessfully as a test. I also am using ndiswrapper with the newest driver from Eusso.
heywoodj

#6 Post by heywoodj »

Still no luck with WPA on the Linksys WRT54g v4. (with dd-wrt) and D-Link wireless card combo. Further research seems to indicate the D-Link doesn't have the hardware to negotiate WPA-AES (WPA2).

Any ideas to try out? So far, in summary, with the D-Link card, OK with either router when unencrypted, OK with WPA from Westell router, no good with WPA from Linksys router. (And with the borrowed Belkin card, OK with everything.)

Thanks.