Multisession CD won't save on shutdown (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Mitchellray

Multisession CD won't save on shutdown (Solved)

#1 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello,
(My forum searches are not hitting target)
I downloaded Puppy 4.3* newest (GA Tech Mirror), ran md5sum (good), burned .iso to CD-R using K3b.
Copy finished, but media check showed error.
Tried Puppy live-CD anyhow.
Browser and such worked fine, although clock was off apparently due +8 gmt after choosing Los Angeles (-8 gmt I think).
Then, when I tried to logout and save to CD, an error message came back saying it could not be done.
The Combo-rom tray opened and then closed again.
Another message came up and allowed me to shut down, but apparently without saving the session.

On another note, my system went to blinking cursor without shutting down.
I had to push reset button.

System is an older AMD 800mhz around ten years old,
1.5GB RAM and 160GB HDD.
There is a linux swap at least equal to the RAM size.
I run slackware on it with good functionality, even when (mostly) confused.
Mitchellray

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It sounds like your burning program "closed" the CD when it burned it, which means it can't be used as a multisession CD.
Here's what to do:
Boot that CD again, then use Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd to burn a new CD (preferably a CD-RW if you have one, so you won't waste any more CD-Rs getting this to work.) Then boot the newly burned CD(-RW) and see if it will work as you want it to.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Mitchellray

Burniso2cd unsuccessful - tried CD-RW & CD-R off fresh dwnld

#3 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello Flash,
I didn't understand about burning an image of the original CD-R (closed) to another CD.
I downloaded another Puppy 4.3*.iso and used the burniso2cd to burn to a CD-RW and the check failed.
That CD-RW will not boot.
Then I restarted and booted slackware and erased the CD-RW and tried from there to burn it with kb3 and the process was not able to complete.
Do you think that Puppy has left files that are preventing me from copying the iso, is it my settings, or is the writer garbage?
Mitchellray

rubberdragon

#4 Post by rubberdragon »

You cannot 'save to CD-R' , they're burn once only as Flash has hinted. If you want that option, you must use CD-RW and also choose multisession mode.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Rubberdragon, that is incorrect. If a CD-R is burned as a multisession CD (not "closed") then more sessions can be added to it. The reason I suggested to use a CD-RW is to keep from making coasters. :)

Mitchellray, I don't know what's wrong. It sounds like maybe the Puppy iso is corrupted. How big is it? (How many MB.)

Mitchellray

1st Save cd fail; Can't burn orig. or fresh to cd-r&-rw

#6 Post by Mitchellray »

Flash,
The files size is 104.9MB (110,043,136 B) and the md5sum checks out.
I can not seem to run an md5sum on the bootable Puppy CD-R from my first attempted burn.
And, I do not know how to determine what is wrong with the CD-RW and now two more CD-R (out of sight now) that were unable to complete being copied.
I ran erase CD-RW in kb3, but am not sure what effect this has on the media as far as being able to put Puppy on it.
Also, I attempted to run burniso2cd to burn a new CD-R&-RW from first, the same drive as I booted Puppy from, and then from a DVD-rom drive to my writer and burniso2cd would not accommodate.
That's where I'm at.
Mitchellray

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

I seem to remember having some trouble burning an iso from a hard disk. Try this:
  • 1. Erase the CD-RW (you should be able to do this with Puppy's Pburn.)
    2. Copy (not Move) the Puppy iso from your hard disk to /tmp.
    3. Use Burniso2cd to burn the iso from /tmp to the CD-RW.

Mitchellray

1st...cont'd

#8 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello Flash,
When you instruct to:
2. Copy (not Move) the Puppy iso from your hard disk to /tmp.
I thought that the pup-431.iso is held in RAM when downloaded to /tmp or even Desktop during Puppy live-CD session.
(And, of course, every time I log out without saving, I have to download the .iso image again.)
I did a fresh download (different mirror)(md5sum good) directly to /tmp and tried to burn it on another CD-Writer HP 9100 and after finishing, I 'yes' to check media and check fails and says start again.
Resulting disc will not boot.
I can not understand how I was able to get the first disc burned and bootable, albeit it also showed a burn error when checked.
Status is still quo.
Mitchellray

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Sorry, I assumed you had saved the iso on a hard disk.

As to why you can't seem to burn a CD, I don't know what to say. I've never used anything but Burniso2cd to burn Puppy onto a CD or DVD. It has never failed me. The fact that you seem to be able to erase the CD-RW suggests that the burner is working, and that the CD-RW is compatible with it.

Mitchellray

1st Save cont'd

#10 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello Flash,
I am just now running Puppy again.
Let's review.
I put in another cd writer.
I made some more coasters.
I noticed that k3b had a new icon in my slackware os menu.
It was a security app that would not function, so I could not adjust permissions. I tried user admin and such.
Then I booted 2nd os, Fedora and had another permission problem, but after hours resolved it on what seems to be a case by case pass.
I burned a CD-R (not open, but had to try first) and an open CD-RW.
I will find out if I can save to it.
Mean while, on my original CD-R (closed), I did manage to save to usb flash. I have not tried to boot with it again, yet.

What I never understood is how to burn an iso to cd from an existing iso cd. I tried to mount it first, but couldn't get it done.

Thank you much for your assistance.
Mitchellray

rjbrewer

#11 Post by rjbrewer »

My routine for burning iso to cd.
I download an iso to a presently installed puppy, or boot a puppy
cd and and remove cd once desk top is reached and download
iso.
iso file will be in root (file).
Open "burn iso to cd", find iso in right column and burn, either
open or closed.
When burn is finished it asks to verify.
It's necessary to wait a little until any light stops flashing on
cdburner before clicking to verify.
cd-rw can be erased with pburn using fast or complete blank.
For testing the md5 sum of the iso I use GtkhHash. Think it
comes with 4.3.1, if not just type gtkhash up in forum search.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Mitchellray

1st Save cont'd

#12 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello rjbrewer and Flash,
Thank yous again for your assistance.

I have now been using a CD-RW burned multi-session.
The first few times I tried to 'save' at the end of a session, I got a 'time to Migrate' message (previously, I messed that up by removing original CD and it was ruined).
I have used two methods to work around that message.
1. I leave the original CD-RW in the tray and hit 'OK'.
Then, when prompted to remove original and put in new, either fresh CD-R or CD-R with fresh Puppy version, I just empty the tray and hit 'OK'. This preserves the original and changes were saved.
2. I saved some sessions during the session by using the Save function Icon on the desktop. Then at shutdown, I choose 'do not save'. This works, but it seems that some settings like the time are not preserved.

Interestingly, after utilizing both of these methods on my CD-RW original copy, it now saves normally on shutdown without the 'Migration' warning.
Mitchellray