Shutdown, Restart, etc, buttons don't work

Booting, installing, newbie
Volodya

Shutdown, Restart, etc, buttons don't work

#1 Post by Volodya »

Whenever I want to restart the system, or shut it down, and I press the buttons "shutdown" or "restart" within the menu, it closes X seems to be shutting down the computer but... X start suddenly again!! So there's no possible way of restarting or shutting the computer down!!

What I do is click "go to console" and press there CTRL+ALT+DEL for restaring the computer, and then manually shut it down.

Was I clear?

Has this ever happened to anybody? How could I fix it?

Thank you!

racepres

#2 Post by racepres »

I find that cntrl/alt/delete, works wherever I happen to be... Also, I find that my machine appreciates it more if I go into terminal and type shutdown[space]-h[space] now[enter
That keeps my system tidier... until I find out why it wont do like it's sposed to!! One of 'em is quite ill mannered so I anxiously await a learned response here..
RP

flugwelpe

#3 Post by flugwelpe »

this is veery annoying. i can't drop out of the windows manager, too.
what works for me is

Code: Select all

busybox reboot
btw. thats on a xvesa, jwm, dpup 482 beta 5. Also i've seen that behaviour before...

Volodya

#4 Post by Volodya »

Hi racepres, flugwelpe.

I see that I'm not the only one that is experiencing this weird problems. The question is... why?

First off:

racepres, in my Puppy distribution, it comes like this. If I open a terminal and press

shutdown -h now
it says

command not found
funny isn't it?

flugwelpe, the situation is a little bit complicated here...

If I open a terminal and type either of them reboot or poweroff (which I think are the replaces on Puppy for shutdown -r or -h respectively) then X freezes. No matter what I do, if I press CTRL+ALT+DEL or CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE it is the same, it will still there hanged. So the only solution is to manually reset the computer!!

After that, the computer will start but it when it says something like "loading USB modules" it counts to ten 1, 2, 3, 4,.... until 10 and then X won't load. I have to manually do it again with the command

xwin
then the configuration is going to be really messed up. For instance, if I want to ping 192.168.1.1 it would say "network is unreachable". Nice, huh?

So, the solution for all this, is to go to the menu button "Exit to prompt"

and then press CTRL+ALT+DEL and when the computer restarts, shut it down manually.

Other things are that if I press any of the other buttons in the menu, like "Power-off computer" or "Reset computer" the computer will seem to be shutting down but ... HEY! X starts again ;-)

Nice one! I don't get it!

What can be done for achieving a solution here? (as I see this is something many users experience, it should be useful to know the WHYS and the HOWTO fix this kind of things).

Thanks
[quote]"The ideas of the ruling class are in every epoch the ruling ideas"

Karl Marx[/quote]

jduffy

#5 Post by jduffy »

I just tried:

shutdown -h now

and I get the same error message.

What in the world is going on?

I've never seen shutdown -h now not work.

Weird......

Volodya

#6 Post by Volodya »

This is weird, isn't it?

I think all the scripts are corrupted. By the scripts I mean:

poweroff
reboot
wmreboot
wmpoweroff

If they are run under console or on "prompt" they won't work. I stated why in the previous posts.

I guess we'll have to wait to see what the gurus say...

Karl Marx[/quote]

zigbert

#7 Post by zigbert »

I have fixed this in Puppy Stardust by executing:

rxvt -e reboot

Sigmund

BobSongs

#8 Post by BobSongs »

Oh, good. It's not just me. I was wondering what was wrong.

Listen: is there some way to correct the scripts? I use Puppy 4.3x on USB stick. Is there some folder where I can replace the shut-down scripts?

It's kinda weird to not have the ability to shut down Linux from the GUI.

Thanks. :)

Edit: Forcing the exit through Ctrl+Alt+Backspace then Ctrl+Alt+Delete is crude and inefficient. The system balks when it reboots. It says the xorgwizard failed to blah blah. So any fix would be appreciated.

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

I think all the scripts are corrupted.
You are all correct. These effects look as if they are inter-related?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49714
This is one of the wonderful features of Puppy. Few other distros have it - most developers have solved it. It is chipset dependent, although other HW can be implicated, especially on laptops. It's all here on the Forum and has been reported since it first occurred when the change from 2.4 to 2.6 - series kernels were introduced. ipso facto, folks here have always cried "it's a kernel issue". One has to presume that developers don't have boards with SiS chipsets, esp. PCChips, the most popular and populated boards the world has ever known with sales almost eclipsing all others combined. PCC had an (undeserved) reputation a decade ago when bundling (bungling?) resellers erroneous claimed an FSB of 83/100MHz for a chipset designed to run 66MHz. [Capitalist greed, again]. Indeed many boards would run 83MHz and all clocked to 75MHz. Many punters had to return their 100MHz clocked boxes, however, and PCC was branded a pariah. When SiS introduced their N & S bridge fully integrated, ground breaking 735 chipset, still the fastest chip in existence, some unfortunate start-up problems(the so-called 'cold boot' phenomenon) emerged. Since PCC was a major user of SiS, they were again, branded as culprits. Then there was the 'bad caps' issue, http://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php?, first showing on ASUS boards but which hit also PCC and other many boards and still continues in virtually all modern electronics. Sadly, all these events have conspired to blacken the image of the world's largest, most modern and successful board manufacturer.

If folks want this issue solved once and for all, I suggest they post a good working board to BK with a cheque for ~£1K, although there are a couple of other Puppy developers with the knowledge and skills to tackle it at the kernel modification level; some have even outlined the intricacies, which are well beyond my ambit. Until then use <acpi-force> or whatever patch works in your GRUB script.

rjbrewer

#10 Post by rjbrewer »

Only occurs on my pc with 4.3.x and newer puppies.

Adding "acpi=force" to grub kernel line solves problem.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Volodya

#11 Post by Volodya »

Adding "acpi=force" to grub kernel line solves problem.
How do I do it? I tried adding it to menu.lst but it just blocked the boot. I don't know that much, yet, can you explain yourself further please?

I have Windows XP installed in the first partition with grldr so that it allows dual boot. This is how the menu.lst looks like:

default 0 

timeout 0 

title Puppy Linux 4.3.1 (default) 

kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
Where should I add this line? How should it look like with it already added?

Thanks for helping y'all!

Karl Marx[/quote]

sonysantos

Shutdown/reboot command on Lucid Puppy

#12 Post by sonysantos »

Hello!

Sorry for ressurrecting an old topic, but I think it's useful to some users.

I was trying to make a script to restart/reboot from a terminal (like rxvt) which:
1. runs the proper shutdown puppy processes (like saving personal file *.3fs, etc.);
2. doesn't freeze/hang.

I'm using icewm. By editing quick-launch menu, I found that the correct shutdown command is wmpoweroff. (By editing startup menu, I found that the reboot command is wmreboot.)

However, typing wmpoweroff on a terminal freezes Puppy.

"busybox reboot" (thank's flugwelpe) doesn't freeze, but it doesn't do the complete shutdown process. Then I tried "busybox wmpoweroff" but it didn't work.

So I tried the zigbert solution (thank's!) and voila! It worked! :D

To shutdown, type on the terminal:

rxvt -e wmpoweroff
To reboot, type:

rxvt -e wmreboot
It works on scripts called by terminal, too. :wink:

(Important! I'm using icewm and I didn't tested it on jwm.)

Volodya

#13 Post by Volodya »

No problem on reviving the topic for me!

Thanks for your advice sonysantos, i will try it when the duties and obligations of the daily life will allow me.[/b]

Karl Marx[/quote]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#14 Post by Béèm »

You have to add the acpi=force on the kernel line in the menu.list you showed.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Rebelrebellious

Issue 20

#15 Post by Rebelrebellious »

I have posted an updated summary of this problem on the Issue tracker. Would anyone here be willing to give issue 20 some stars so that this might get solved sooner? Nothing seems to be working at this point.

http://code.google.com/p/puppy-developm ... tail?id=20

Thanks,

Karl Godt

#16 Post by Karl Godt »

The slacko shutdown is slightly different than the older shutdown .

Much of the part of /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown is moved to `which shutdownconfig` .

The save to encrypted save-files at the end of firstboot/pfix=ram/PUPMODE=5 for example seems not to work anymore : The save file gets created , but not mounted || mounted read-only and therefore not populated .

I have not tried yet to save to entire partition on USB(PUPMODE=7) nor on HD(PUPMODE=6) .

There might be more things to fix ...

One newer fix in rc.shutdown is about STRAYPART[ITION]S , which had not been doubble-quoted correctly , so only one STRAYPART would have been fuser -m -k[illed] , even if more existed , AND now the mountpoint gets passed to fuser insted of the /dev/DEVICE , which might have killed [busybox] init , which results in reboot instead of poweroff .

For now i cannot think of anything , that would exit shutdownconfig||rc.shutdown && wmpoweroff||wmreboot && launch rc.sysinit||inittab||xwin again .