Pwireless2 (Version 1.0)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
smokey01

#101 Post by smokey01 »

Hi Jemimah, Pwireless seems to work quite well but it seems to have confused my computer. It may be associated with the network wizard profiles which I'm yet to delete.

I have a new Netgear usb wifi dongle WN111 and a new Wireless-N ADSL Modem/router, DGN2000. Both of these products work very well in fact I can now use PPM and FTP which I couldn't with my other modem. I never could figure out what the problem was.

Anyway back to the problem. When I shut down or reboot (standard) puppy 4.3.1 it tells me puppy is shutting down when it fact it just locks up. It seems like the dongle needs to be unmounted before the pupsave file can be saved. Now If I remove the dongle and reboot all is fine and it will shutdown properly. If I leave the dongle inserted and reboot all is fine but then the computer hangs on shutdown and my setting are obviously not saved.

I don't know have many times I have installed and uninstalled Pwireless2 and the dongle driver. The driver is the one tempestuous has complied and recommended. The dongle performs very well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

jemimah

#102 Post by jemimah »

Here's a script that will shut down Pwireless2, and unload your network driver. Put in the correct value for wlan0 and <network module>. Then try adding the script to the begginning of /usr/bin/wmreboot, /usr/bin/wmpoweroff, /usr/bin/wmexit.

Code: Select all

/usr/local/sbin/wpa_cli terminate
        /usr/local/sbin/dhcpcd -k
        sleep 1
        ifconfig wlan0 down 
        sleep 1
        rmmod <network module>

smokey01

#103 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:Here's a script that will shut down Pwireless2, and unload your network driver. Put in the correct value for wlan0 and <network module>. Then try adding the script to the begginning of /usr/bin/wmreboot, /usr/bin/wmpoweroff, /usr/bin/wmexit.

/usr/local/sbin/wpa_cli terminate
        /usr/local/sbin/dhcpcd -k
        sleep 1
        ifconfig wlan0 down 
        sleep 1
        rmmod ar9170usb.ko
jemimah, thanks for the info, we have made some advancement.

I assume you meant the above code needed to be placed in all three files and that's what I did.

The script now shuts down the wifi and the data is saved to the pupsave file.

Just after the data is saved to pupsave file about seven error message flash up on the monitor displaying: "modprobe: Fatal /sys not mounted"
or words to that effect.

At the moment Pwireless is not installed. Would that have something to do with the error message.

Other than that it's all good.

Thanks again.

jemimah

#104 Post by jemimah »

I see that error on occasion too but I don't think Pwireless2 causes it. I think it's just the shutdown script trying to make absolutely sure everything is unmounted before shutting down.

hayagix

#105 Post by hayagix »

I have wlan0 and wlan1 wireless devices. I suspect pwireless uses wlan0 as default.

Is there a way I can change to one or the other? I don't mind editing a file to do so when necessary.

Thanks.

Pwireless has made Puppy the premiere laptop distro imo. Great job!

jemimah

#106 Post by jemimah »

Sure just edit /root/Startup/networking.

Change the line near the top that looks like

WIFI_IF=$(iwconfig 2>&1 |egrep "^[a-z]"|grep -v "no wireless" |head  -n1 |cut -f1 -d" ")
to

WIFI_IF=wlan1

hayagix

#107 Post by hayagix »

Exactly what I was looking for. Thankyou!

smokey01

#108 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:I see that error on occasion too but I don't think Pwireless2 causes it. I think it's just the shutdown script trying to make absolutely sure everything is unmounted before shutting down.
Jemimah occasionally the computer will not shut down or reboot even after the added code.

Pwireless2 is not currently installed. Would it have left something behind when I uninstalled it?

Would it be worth disabling network wizard and reinstalling Pwireless2?

If so how?

I'm reluctant to make changes as the new modem is working great and I don't want to break it but not being able to shutdown occasionally is beginning to annoy me.

Thanks again

jemimah

#109 Post by jemimah »

Pwireless2 should uninstall cleanly. The script I gave you is for Pwireless2. I'm not sure if it will work with Network Wizard, so it's probably worth your time to try it with Pwireless2. If you're worried about messing up your current settings, just make a backup of your working save and restore it if there is a problem.

smokey01

#110 Post by smokey01 »

I have reinstalled Pwireless2 and so far all is good. It even shutdown properly last time without errors.

Looking good.

Thanks very much.

smokey01

#111 Post by smokey01 »

Spoke too soon. I'm still getting lockups with Pwireless2 or without during shutdown or reboot.

Back to the drawing board.

I remember reading further back in this thread something about network wizard and Pwireless2 clashing.

Is there a way to stop this.

jemimah

#112 Post by jemimah »

"Clashing"does not refer to kernel panics. If the connection is working, then they aren't clashing.

You can try running the shutdown script by hand and verify that it's not getting stuck and that the module is actually getting removed.

I've had better luck with some of my network drivers on the 2.6.31.5 kernel (from Quirky). I see that there is a module for that card in 2.6.31.5. I think there's at least one remaster of 4.31 with the newer kernel floating around the forums. Might be worth a shot.

NinerSevenTango

Thanks

#113 Post by NinerSevenTango »

Jemimah,

Thank you for making this gui. It allowed me to use puppy on my laptop. Without it, I would have given up on Puppy for this machine, waiting for another version to come out.

What language / editor did you use to make this? (I'm playing around with programming, and have been trying out several. I'm thinking of writing a special program for work and I'd like to get it to run in Puppy.)

Thanks again,

--97T--

jemimah

#114 Post by jemimah »

It's a combination of Bash scripting and Gtkdialog. The thread about Gtkdialog is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38608. I do all my editing with Vim.

Gtkdialog can be a bit frustrating as a lot of obvious features are unimplemented, and the best documentation for it is the source code. But once you get the basic idea, it's pretty nice since it's high level and relatively easy to work with. A lot of programs for Puppy are written in Gtkdialog so if one exists already that's similar to what you want, you can just modify it, which is easier than starting from scratch. A quick word of advice: if you keep the gui code separate from the backend logic it'll be easier to maintain (both the code and your sanity).

NinerSevenTango

#115 Post by NinerSevenTango »

Thanks, your contributions are brilliant. Especially this one!

It'll be an uphill climb for me. I can program what I need in winbloze but the idea of it makes me cringe. There's a lot to learn about Linux. Good thing I'm a glutton for punishment that way!

--97T--

jemimah

#116 Post by jemimah »

There's some helpful people on the programming subforum, so if you get stuck, just ask.

jemimah

#117 Post by jemimah »

I've posted beta 2.6. This adds static IP configuration for both wired and wireless interfaces.

01micko

#118 Post by 01micko »

Hi jemimah

I am using 2.5 in dpup. I just booted (10 min ago) and had a weird problem. The yaf-splash report everything was all good but I could not connect. Opened a browser and I was not online. So I did what I thought to be correct and right-clicked the icon in the tray and opened the gui. It reported that I was connected to my network essid but the ip address was for this mob that runs a an ISP through wireless networking (I grabbed a log, you'll see).

Now, I tried the routine again but this time from a terminal and outputting stderr to a log...

Pwireless2 2>pw.log
I tried to re-enter my details in the Profile tab, which you may see in the log, as well as rescan and such.

Anyways, after a restart of X i got online. You may find something useful in log. Will grab 2.6 now.

Cheers
Attachments
pw.log.gz
(4.75 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

prehistoric

weird problem with Pwireless2?

#119 Post by prehistoric »

I just had a bizarre problem which showed up on boxpupeee 4.3.1 with, (I believe), Pwireless2 beta 2.5. (With several things under simultaneous development, I'm having trouble keeping track of all configurations.) Something which took place shortly after the desktop appeared, but before I had a connection set up at my new location, seemed to lock up my system. The problem seemed to be that it found a wireless network with WEP encryption, but didn't have the key correct. Once the screen was taken over by the offending process no operations on the keyboard had any effect. I booted several times with similar results. I'm suspecting Pwireless2 because I can't think of anything else taking place within less than 1 minute after boot up with no user input.

Now that you've posted beta 2.6 I'll install that and try to reproduce the problem tomorrow.

Added: Installed beta 2.6, made no other change, went to the site where I had trouble repeatedly yesterday, was unable to reproduce problem. Don't know what was going on, but it had something to do with Pwireless2, and it appears to be fixed.

jemimah

#120 Post by jemimah »

01Micko, I can't make heads or tails of this log file (the wpa_supplicant log is actually more useful, there's a button on the debug tab). Wpa_supplicant sometime seems to have a mind of it's own and often behaves differently on different hardware.

Prehistoric, let me know if the problem comes back. I don't think I changed anything that would have caused or fixed something like that.