TorPup 4.0 - A Puplet to help protect your privacy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
37fleetwood

#41 Post by 37fleetwood »

it has been stated before that Tor will not start until you resolve the error that it finds in the date and time.if you click on the log button you will see how much to adjust the time and date on your computer. also check to see that you have the right time zone set.
I reset the time and time zone and saved to an encrypted save file and upon restarting the time came up right and Tor started fine.
good luck.
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

CGP

links don't work

#43 Post by CGP »

aarf,

Thanks for the links, but they don't work.

CGP

time zone and Tor400 iso

#44 Post by CGP »

Hayagix, is there really a software department in this forum? It would be great if there were, but I have not been able to find it. Do you know of any place where all the puppy .pups and .pets are collected? I know of www.dotpups.de. But www.puppylinux.ca seems to only have .pups and .pets for old versions of puppy. www.dotpups.de is good, but is there an 'official' site where all the .pups and .pets (and maybe libraries?) are stored?

Also, I again ran the version of Dingo on the Tor400 iso and did try setting my time zone correctly. That did not help. I looked at the message log and it said nothing about time zones. There were many messages of this form: "no current certificate known for authority <name>, launching request". More and more of those messages were being added as Tor was starting up. But it never finished starting. What do I do about that?

Finally, I downloaded and installed tor-0.2.1.20-i486.pet and privoxy-3.0.1.0-stable.i486.pet into puppy 4.3 small (not the Dingo that I installed from the Tor400 iso). Having done that, how do I start Tor? There is no menu item for Tor. There is no desktop icon for Tor, like the Tor400 iso created. Do I need to install Vidalia? I have not been able to find it. Vidalia seems to be the front end for Tor.

Thanks.

hayagix

#45 Post by hayagix »

I find the "Additional Software" forum best for finding pets. Wolfpup, muggins, and zigbert(to name a few)post many packages and updates there.

You can also search for valpy's tor/privoxy pets. They are setup to start via a nice little script with switches. You will be presented with a privoxy icon to drap to your desktop during installation - this will control both tor and privoxy. Vidalia is not used in these pets. Not sure how these work in puppy 4.3 as I've abandoned tor/privoxy some time ago.

I don't know anything about the coolpup pets.

If you are running the live torpup cd, setting the time zone could be a problem because a reboot might be necessary. "exit to prompt" might work - just type "xwin" at the prompt to start the desktop again. Of course, with 4.3 time zone is set during bootup and will not be an issue.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=11

CGP

SUCCESS

#46 Post by CGP »

Hayagix, as you suggested, I downloaded valpy's most recent tor and privoxy pets and installed them into puppy 4.3 small. THEY WORKED! I dragged the privoxy P icon in ~/my-roxapps to the desktop and used that to start privoxy and tor (by choosing "privoxy-tor").

But I still cannot get Tor on the Tor400 iso version of Dingo to work. I rebooted after setting the correct time zone. But I got the same error messages as before. But that is ok, because I prefer to use puppy 4.3 small.

I am using Seamonkey 1.1.18.

For other readers, after doing the above, in Seamonkey you need go into Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Proxies, choose Manual Proxy Configuration. In Proxy, type in "Localhost". In Port, type "8118". Delete what in the box labelled "No Proxy For".

Surfing using Tor is pretty slow, but that is understandable.

Thanks for the help!

aarf

#47 Post by aarf »

CGP

link works, but not that version of tor and privoxy

#48 Post by CGP »

aarf,

Thanks for the link in the immediately preceeding post.

But the tor and privoxy there don't work on my computer. I installed them without problem. I clicked on the P icon and the small "Privoxy, Privoxy-Tor, and Tor" window came up as it should. I chose to start Privoxy-Tor. But nothing happened.

So, I reverted to using the slightly older tor and privoxy posted by valpy.

P123

Update please

#49 Post by P123 »

Could you please update this puplet?