Does Puppy crash for you?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Woof Woof Brysche

Does Puppy crash for you?

#1 Post by Woof Woof Brysche »

Puppy has only crashed on me once, and that's because of a crappy wireless card. That's all!
bugman

#2 Post by bugman »

it has, but it has been so long i cannot remember why
muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

For some reason a frugal p412 install stopped working for me, one month ago. Upon booting I'd get the dreaded "Can't find pup_412.sfs" message. The old standby, of replacing the pup_save with a backed up version didn't work, so I booted from a CD instead.

Problem resolved when I noticed that initrd.gz, on the hdisk, was a different size to that on the CD, so just copied over it. No idea how this came about though?
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

I have to try very hard to get Puppy to crash
but my persistence pays off :)

Basically Puppy is so stable that I can afford to run
even alpha releases on a day to day basis :shock:

However the browser can crash
and individual programs can lock up

The browser crash is ALWAYS related to Flash (from adobe)
not our beloved forum master

Individual programs lock because
they are just compiled and not tested
(I may be part of the test bed)
Sometimes with Alpha releases
I can get weird file behaviour - that can be odd

If you want Puppy to crash the best way is create
a puplet in a few hours, with as many innovations and
changes as you can imagine - that might destabilise it sufficiently

4.3.1 works very well
Lucid I love using - it has a great vibe to it
and Jemimah loves her Pupeee

If Puppy does crash for you
work maturely with the development threads, bug reports
and find the cause and solution

Your crash
Your Puppy

You have the power
8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
Notorik

#5 Post by Notorik »

I am using Lighthouse Pup and so far it is very stable. I don't attempt Flash though as I know the old machine can't handle it. I will be so happy when Adobe Flashplayer is gone from the internet. I hear rumors about HTML5 replacing it so maybe there is some hope. Lighthouse Pup:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47588
`f00

#6 Post by `f00 »

There are always rabbit holes but the ground is there. A lively earth is good for growth. Many things can cause a pup to stumble (unfamiliar territory, mostly - usually encountered in testing forays). Occasionally setup with Xorg can be a pitb, or trying to do too much in an initial session and losing it (why am I almost never happy with defaults :lol: ). Sometimes a new feature or different method of install takes a bit of getting the hang of.

Crashes are part of the learning :)
plankenstein

#7 Post by plankenstein »

Other than the occasional SM crash on flash games, :roll: I know I know but I just love some of those silly little games, I have never had puppy crash. Now, that being said, I have crashed my puppy a few times :oops: by doing something and then saying to myself "Self, that was REALLY stupid!" But that was my doing and always easilly fixed by deleteing a pupsave and renaming a back-up. :D That's one of the many reasons I LOVE puppy. :D
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:
linuxsansdisquedur

#8 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

my pizzapup never crashes even with flash 9 8)
It froze sometime when i used it with no hd n 256mo ram :?
puppy 2.14X (classic) crashes on my pc when flash 10 used on firefox (grrrr... even if i like this project n its serialized topic) :evil:
le max avec le min
runtt21

#9 Post by runtt21 »

I don't remember puppy crashing on me on it own. But I have blown it up a few times.
Slapdash

#10 Post by Slapdash »

Well it doesn't crash for no reason. But truth be told I can't reall Windoze doing it really randomly either. I did make Puppy freeze, or crash a few times.

Problem is, my hard drive is amazingly cranky. Sometimes it simply stops and you can hear that. Windows goes into bluescreen mode and dies then, so Puppy running off a pendrive gains points in stability, but it's more of a hardware issue.

And the browser would crash in some unfortunate moments as well, but it stopped. I applied a fix, but I have no idea what it was.
JustGreg

#11 Post by JustGreg »

Puppy only crashes when I do something that I should know better no to do. But, Puppy does recover with a minimum of effort. I have never lost any data. Besides, the Puppy Crash recover does not require one to feed CDROM disks into the computer for too long a period. To recover from a crash, which happens so seldom, I have to refer to my notes from about two years ago. I guess I have been following my own advice :D
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
benali72

Years ago, yes, but not for some time now

#12 Post by benali72 »

I've used Puppy for 5 years now. I recall getting a couple crashes with earlier releases (like 2.?) but haven't had any crashes with the 4.x releases.
Bligh

#13 Post by Bligh »

Still waiting, as with most linux, if I give it time it will usually sort itself out.
Cheers
RetroTechGuy

#14 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Yes, I can crash Puppy.

Gxine blows up X on a regular basis for me (I once had VLC working, which would also regularly blow up/crash X).

I have not determined exactly what causes it, but it seems like touching anything on the "task bar" while a video or music is running, will crash out of the GUI, and back to the command line (from whence I relaunch xinit -- of course, a Puppy shutdown then drops me back to the command prompt, requiring a "poweroff").

I believe that this occurs on more than one of my machines, so it doesn't seem to be hardware related.
obxjerry

#15 Post by obxjerry »

I have a old laptop that freezes on occasion. I am working on that. In the meantime I'm searching for a Puppy that will survive the hard shutdowns. I've been using 431 and 421 retro, full and frugal. Now I'm going to try Quirky 1.1retro. I connect usb wireless and I have an ongoing problem connecting.

Usually the first thing to go is Seamonkey passwords. This time it was Xwindows. Sometimes I can fix it but most times a fresh install is the path of least resistance.

I've heard Pizzapup is pretty tough so, that may be in my future. If any one wants to nominate a bullet proof Puppy I may need it.

Edit That computer did not like Quirky, 4 tries, 3 different flavors of failure. It did look interesting on another machine. Not a bad OS just a bad combination.

Edit #2 Pizzapup was a no-go. I loaded the ndiswrapper module for the usb wireless but it didn't see an interface to the network. Back to 431.