Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
edoc

Re: 2 bugs

#101 Post by edoc »

hellin wrote:I have 2 bugs in my computer
1. I cant start Gxine (it crash)
2. sound dont work (it worked in puppy 4.3)
Please provide lots more detail about your computer, please?

CPU
RAM
Video card
Sound card
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

niel6

Re: Wireless not connecting at start up

#102 Post by niel6 »

[quote="chrismt"]I used all the Network wizards but could not get my internet connection to work.

I have lupu-500

I have an old toshiba laptop and tried following pcmcia network adapters:
All D-link:

DFE-670TXD ethernet cable

DFE-690TXD ethernet cable (green light and almost worked)

DWL-610 wireless (worked for a short period)

I have been able to use DFE-670TXD on earlier puppies

I happen just to day to have gotten a brand new Thomson gateway from my Internet Service Provider as I am switching to combined broadband -and broadband telephony, but my other 3 computers work okay.

When I tried the DFE-690TXD the dialing tone of the telephone disappeared several times, and I had to reset the gateway.

Ron

Re: Some problems on my old notebook

#103 Post by Ron »

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 6:34 pm Post subject:
Subject description: Problem with FireFox on Lupu
Béèm wrote:
Ron wrote:
Don't know if this is a bug; no one else has mentioned it yet. When using FF on Lupu, when I scroll up or down fast enough on some but not all sites, the text either smears badly or leaves missing lines. Ironically, this forum site is one that does it.

FF under 4.3.1 does not do this. Seamonkey under Lupu does not do this.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I just got Lupu working on another computer and FF does not exhibit this problem there. The older computer is slightly slower, a AMD Sempron around 2Ghz and 1 MB memory, so not all that slow. I would blame Firefox, but this does not happen with FF under 4.3.1 on the same computer.
This has been reported before.
I get it sometimes in SeaMonkey also, even in OpenOffice.

Bamoset's reply:
The scrolling problem, the refresh under window problem mentioned here, as well as a transparent menu problem and lines like spider webs on the screen that I haven't seen mentioned yet but I have had with LUPU-500, began to occur when I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 last October. In fact, it is what brought me to Puppy in the first place.I Think its a kernel or XORG problem imported to Puppy from Ubuntu. Graphics card here is SIS Mirage2, 128MB shared video memory (SIS 760). There is a driver for this card in LUPU, but the VESA driver seems to work better.
lugligino wrote: 2) Seamonkey 2.0.4 was the chosen browser but when its window is in fullscreen mode and the page is scrolled using the up/down arrows of the vertical bar the page loses graphic integrity and some rows becomes not readable.:?
Any hint, please? :)
FWIW, These sound like the same problem, except my problem is with Firefox and lugligino's problem is with Seamonkey 2...Firefox for me is unusable now, but thankfully Seamonkey 2 is a good browser, so I'll probably stick with it unless the problem is solvable.

Ron

Ron

#104 Post by Ron »

Sometimes, not always, Seamonkey fails to go to the home page specified in Preferences. It just shows a blank page with no URL shown. In fact, I believe it fails to go to any of the "browser startup" options selected, except for blank page. It seems to correct itself after a while, but I don't know what corrects it. Playing with the startup options and homepage doesn't do anything when it is acting up.

This may be Seamonkey problem I guess, but I never had it happen in 4.3.1.

prehistoric

Re: Lucid 500 on Phenom II quad processor

#105 Post by prehistoric »

rcrsn51 wrote:
prehistoric wrote: While I was doing this, I found the same USB flash drive bug just noticed on Quirky 1.1
FWIW, I could not duplicate this problem in Quirky. I tried several flash drives and they all copied large files correctly.
At this point, I don't know what is causing confusion with the USB interfaces. The only common point I've noticed so far is that both machines had AMD multi-core processors. I'm suspecting something to do with the particular USB controller chip, but don't have enough data.

Note: the files copied correctly. The problem was that the light on the drive never stopped blinking even though the drive icon showed it unmounted. Doing a shutdown caused no problems.

Otherwise, Lucid 500 looks very good on that machine.
Last edited by prehistoric on Sat 22 May 2010, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

simple network setup bug with RT2760 and WPA encryption

#106 Post by prehistoric »

I have now put Lupu 5.00 on two netbooks: an Asus 1000HE and an Asus 1001P. I was able to get the 1024x600 display working on both GMA 950 and GMA 3150 video. On the 1001P with GMA 3150, there was tearing when scrolling in Firefox. (Also saw this in some other programs.) Xvesa insists on 800x600 with the GMA 3150.

On the 1000HE there is a Ralink RT2860 wifi adapter. Setting up with WPA encryption failed under the simple network setup. Strangely, it told me it could not associate immediately after I gave it the passphrase, without any delay when it might have transmitted anything.

The Dougal network setup handled this correctly.

playdayz

#107 Post by playdayz »

gparted is working properly, displaying uuids here.
one thing different is that i dropped in /sbin/blkid obtained from elsewhere.
anyone with quirky could copy its /sbin/blkid to /sbin. it might help gparted.
Thanks upnorth and Jim1911. I have this in 5.0.1 already, and, btw, 5.0.1 is going to come a lot sooner than anyone thought.

playdayz

#108 Post by playdayz »

playdayz, if you don't have pppoe it is understandable that you are reluctant to address this issue. Yet for the few who need it, it's a major stumbling block. I am not versed enough but it seems to me that when ttuuxxx did it right, it should be possible to find out the differences between the two versions of Puppy and apply what works in 432v3 to 5.0. Don't you agree?
Yes, I do agree. We are thinking of Lucid Puppy as a long term proposition--after all Ubuntu Lucid lynx is a Long Term Support 3 year version. Lucid Puppy is, as someone said, a .0 (point zero) release, as in 5.0. Keep asking please. And it could be a chance to explore it yourself in more depth. The bugs that someone fixes for us always get implemented quickly.

edoc

#109 Post by edoc »

When exiting a Youtube video in Lucid 5.00 using Firefox it freezes the laptop - Panasonic Toughbook CF-28.

One of three children's learning programs on CD worked (at least partially) via WINE in Lucid. More to test ... I may be forced to read the Help as it is not intuitive how one correctly runs a MS windows-yoked app under WINE.

It is a Frugal install -- does not remember the wifi settings - they have to be manually re-initiated every reboot.
Last edited by edoc on Sat 22 May 2010, 03:13, edited 2 times in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Jim1911

#110 Post by Jim1911 »

sidders wrote:Jim i will take you up on that suggestion. I did do something for 4.4CE along the same lines.
Great Very Happy , the new 2.6.33.2 kernel is good. Since you've been working with 4.4CE which uses many of the features of zigbert's Stardust, you may want to add zigbert's DuDE-0.3 which is essentially an updated version of his Puppy Control Center and works really good with lupu-5.0.

Cheers,
Jim
Hansamben may be the first derivative from Lucid Pup.

Cheers,
Jim

playdayz

#111 Post by playdayz »

There is a development release of Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 available on page 76 of the Lucid Puppy thread in Puppy Projects. It may be released as soon as tomorrow. Thank you.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 22 May 2010, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

edoc

#112 Post by edoc »

playdayz wrote:There is a development release of Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 available on page 76 of the Lucid Puppy thread in Puppy Projects. It may be released as soon as soon as tomorrow. Thank you.
Here it is:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 706#420706

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci-001.iso

I am downloading right now ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Gurglin

Presario laptop 14xl250 (Trident CyberBlade) won't boot

#113 Post by Gurglin »

I tried to run the live CD on my 10-year-old laptop compaq presario 14 xl 250 (Trident CyberBlade graphic card), which has always worked with ANY puppy version (latest kernel), including Quirky.

With my major disappointment LuPu is the first Puppy Distro EVER which not only gives me problems, but that does not even boot! The boot process ends when on the screen I read “starting X, specs (...)

mightysween

Session not saved

#114 Post by mightysween »

I am a long time Puppy user, and have never had a problem that I could not solve. But with 5.0 I am not able to save my session. On shutdown, i get "session not saved" and am never prompted to create a lupusave.2fs file.

I have tried just about every solution offered for previous releases to no avail, including booting with pfix=ram, pmedia=idehd, etc, and even manually creating the lupusave file.

I am booting from a USB drive. The "save session" feature works perfectly in every previous version I install (currently 4.3.1)

Any thoughts?

Jim1911

#115 Post by Jim1911 »

5.01 test has worked flawlessly, just 2 problems noted.

1 Abiword still does not print graphics to CUPS-PDF.
2. Using ppm to download games after update, gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486-uj does not show up under Fun in puppy-5 section as it has before. However, the pet is still on ibiblio, just not shown by ppm. The dpup version is present.

playdayz

#116 Post by playdayz »

[quote]The boot process ends when on the screen I read “starting X, specs (...)

rjbrewer

#117 Post by rjbrewer »

[quote="playdayz"][quote]The boot process ends when on the screen I read “starting X, specs (...)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

edoc

#118 Post by edoc »

Luci-oo1 solves the boot problem ... but CUPS is still making a nuisance of itself. I followed the instructions for a HP P1006 and still it fails. It shows
Driver: HP Laserjet p1006 hpijs, 3.10.2, requires proprietary plugin (color)
Connection: usb://HP/Laserjet%20P1006

Oddly, while the Driver says it is "color" I believe the P1006 is monochrome.

BTW: The saved-settings problem appears to be when the save happens it doesn't create the save file inside /puppy500 but outside of it (you have to notice that -- don't ask how I know this -- and tell it to put it there) OR you have to move it there then tell GRUB to look for it there.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

bigpup

no power off

#119 Post by bigpup »

On shutdown:
When I select power- off computer
Lucid Puppy does normal system shutdown
Computer does not power off
Have to push power button to power off computer.

Jim1911

Re: no power off

#120 Post by Jim1911 »

bigpup wrote:On shutdown:
When I select power- off computer
Lucid Puppy does normal system shutdown
Computer does not power off
Have to push power button to power off computer.
I've had the same problem with luci-001, also on reboot. However, it's not consistent, I've tried with a different save file which worked as it should. It's one of those nasty intermittent bugs.

Jim