Kernel 2.6.11.7 for puppy 1.0.7

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
New Puppy Fan

Problem with Grafpup on 2.6 kernel

#21 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote:New Puppy Fan,
That might quite as well end your dream of a 2.6 kernel for grafpup. However You can always make a usr_more.sfs of grafpup stuff !!
What does it mean? Is there any hope to use grufpup stuff? How?
usr_devx.sfs is a independent development environment - it has no relation to the present kernel you are using. To compile it requires the kernel header files which are located in /usr/src/linux-2.4.29. All compilations you do with it would keep the default puppy kernel as the target. So it is not possible at present to compile FOR the 2.6 kernel using the usr_devx.sfs, but what ever you compile with it should run under the 2.6 kernel. This way it is possible to use a different kernel and yet have a standard dev environment so that your compilation is compatible with all puppies.
Could you explain this too? If I compile in 1.0.7 on 2.6 kernel will it be running on my computer?
Thanks!

bombayrockers

#22 Post by bombayrockers »

New Puppy Fan,

explanation for the first quote - If you are using open office it is available as a usr_more.sfs. Similarly kde is also available as usr_more.sfs. usr_more.sfs is a file similar to usr_cram.fs that can be placed on your harddisk. The same way stuff can be taken from the grafpup repsositories (such as gimp and what ever you want) and can be converted into a squashfs file similar to the usr_more.sfs for openoffice or kde. And this way you can have grafpup stuff in puppy. However gimp uses a diffrent glibc and might not run in kernel 2.6. I will have to try this out. I have already used the tux4kids from grafpup packages to make a usr_more.sfs and it is working in puppy.

explanation for the second quote - It would run on your computer. Most of the things you compile using usr_devx in kernel 2.6 for 1.0.7 will work for you and if you want to make a dotpup, it will work for all other puppy users too.

new puppy fan_

#23 Post by new puppy fan_ »

Bombayrockers, thanks for explanation. I still have problem with sound. I have to connect speakers to "Microphone" input to get sount in Puppy. I think it's because of the kernel. I have ASP Linux on 2.6.9, Kanotix on 2.6.11-**-.11 - no problem at all with them. I read somewhere in forum someone started to compile the 2.6.12 (or .14) for Puppy. Did you have chance to play with them too?
Tnanks again.

bombayrockers

#24 Post by bombayrockers »

Ted Dog has compiled 2.6.14 for puppy but he has is yet not released a test version.

New Puppy Fan

Re: Kernel 2.6.11.7 for puppy 1.0.7

#25 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote:I have ported the /lib/modules from puppy 1.0.2 into the puppy 1.0.7 image.gz. Also took the /etc/modprobe.* and updated the module init tools to work with kernel 2.6. The kernel is also taken from puppy 1.0.2. Every thing in this was compiled by Barry (nothing has been changed / No patches applied).
Extract the contents (vmlinuz and image.gz)......
I'm trying to make a bootable Puppy 1.0.7 CD on kernel 2.6 using "Remastering CD" in main Menu. No luck so far... It looks that vmlinuz file (from k26107.tar) has different type than vmlinuz from original CD. Then, when I try to replace existing usr_cram.fs on /mnt/ram1 with the same file from CD I'm getting message "No space left on device". I tried remastering from Puppy installed on HD and running on Pup001 file as well. I got the same message.
Really appreciate everybody's help! :lol:

New Puppy Fan

Re: Kernel 2.6.11.7 for puppy 1.0.7

#26 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote:I have ported the /lib/modules from puppy 1.0.2 into the puppy 1.0.7 image.gz. Also took the /etc/modprobe.* and updated the module init tools to work with kernel 2.6. The kernel is also taken from puppy 1.0.2. Every thing in this was compiled by Barry (nothing has been changed / No patches applied).
Extract the contents (vmlinuz and image.gz)......
I'm trying to make a bootable Puppy 1.0.7 CD on kernel 2.6 using "Remastering CD" in main Menu. No luck so far... It looks that vmlinuz file (from k26107.tar) has different type than vmlinuz from original CD. Then, when I try to replace existing usr_cram.fs on /mnt/ram1 with the same file from CD I'm getting message "No space left on device". I tried remastering from Puppy installed on HD and running on Pup001 file as well. I got the same message.
Really appreciate everybody's help! :lol:

bombayrockers

#27 Post by bombayrockers »

Remastering puppy 1.0.7 with k2.6 using the wizard might not be possible but this is a possible solution.

Remaster puppy using puppy 1.0.7 standard (ie use the standard puppy to add or remove software out of the usr_cram.fs and image.gz). Get this running first. Then manually edit the image.gz of the remastered puppy to use kernel 2.6 as per the how to I have written earlier or send it to me I would do it for you.

klhrevolutionist

yes

#28 Post by klhrevolutionist »

So, for those with a hard drive install? An alinex-remaster of 1.0.7
would be great. I am not to keen on kernels or kernel upgrades. I have yet to upgrade my kernel. I would not know where to begin ? Even trying to speak about it makes me seem confused, which I am. :oops:

So, maybe I should download 1.0.2 and make the upgrades to everything else? but then unionfs and squashfs patches would need be applied!
Darnit. Anybody up to trying this ? What is the status ? hmm....

Experimentation time I guess.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

tempestuous

#29 Post by tempestuous »

Bombayrockers' 2.6.11.7 kernel version of Puppy 1.0.7 is now available as an iso, which will create a bootable CD. Thanks to MU, it's here -
http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/1.0.7/kernel-2.6-ISO/

Apart from being a little more responsive on newer machines, this version potentially supports hardware that the 2.4 version doesn't ... examples:
- agpgart module (and therefore accelerated DRI support) with some modern graphics cards.
- v4l-dvb modules, for digital TV tuner cards.

Unfortunately, the 2.6.11.7 kernel is old by current standards, and the cutting-edge wifi drivers now becoming available such as broadcom43xx, marvell, and prism54softmac, won't compile against it. They require 2.6.15 up.

bombayrockers

#30 Post by bombayrockers »

I once tried upgrading puppy kernel to 2.6.14. It does compile using usr_devx.sfs but the only problem I faced was what kernel modules to pick and which ones to leave. For kernel 2.4 Barry has made a script to pick the modules after the source is compiled. Since Barry abandoned puppy based on 2.6 kernel whatever script he used to do so was lost. So my only option was to hand pick the modules, but without the tech know-how I got stalled and abaondoned on upgrading to 2.6.14. Instead I ripped off 2.6.11.7 from puppy 1.0.2

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#31 Post by Lobster »

1.0.2 worked on my system. The 1.0.7 ISO with 2.6 did not
I enclose a very poor quality screenshot of what happened. It then would crash and reboot.
Do we need more testers?
Attachments
2.6kernel.jpg
(62.17 KiB) Downloaded 1331 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

humanbeing

#32 Post by humanbeing »

Will this also work for later versions or does it need to be modified for them?

bombayrockers

#33 Post by bombayrockers »

Kernel 2.6 needs to be edited for later versions of puppy. However If you dont want to do the editing you can give the 2.6 based puppy 1.0.7 .iso.

MU

#34 Post by MU »

There was something wrong with the first upload of the iso, here is an updated version now:

Mark

tempestuous

#35 Post by tempestuous »

Bombay, I think I can set up a 2.6 kernel config similar to Barry's 2.4 config. ... with the same patches and the same version of ALSA modules.
Maybe we could collaborate on a 2.6.16 version of Puppy2 when it's finished?
I need your expertise with image.gz and the startup scripts. I would give you the kernel plus the entire /lib/modules directory. Let's keep this in mind for the future.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#36 Post by Lobster »

MU wrote:There was something wrong with the first upload of the iso, here is an updated version now:

Mark
Thanks Mark. I'm in.
8)

So to recap this is a single ISO version of 1.0.7 with the 2.6 kernel . . .
. . . easy enough for the plebs like me to use . . .
2.6 is faster (but does not support all hardware)

Well done to the whole team in particular Bombayrockers
Tempestuous - 2.6 kernel of Puppy 2 - I like it already - a 4th alpha of Puppy should be available for download this Friday 31 March

At the moment this is the Puppy 1.0.2 kernel - so old
Can we compile kernels from within Puppy with the .sfs compiler add on?
What are the settings?
Can these settings be applied to 2.6?

Barrys original idea was to make a choice of both kernels available. Is this the plan with Puppy2?

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tempestuous

#37 Post by tempestuous »

Lobster wrote:2.6 is faster (but does not support all hardware)
I think the problem is mainly with OLDER hardware.
Lobster wrote:this is the Puppy 1.0.2 kernel - so old
Correct.
Lobster wrote:Can we compile kernels from within Puppy with the .sfs compiler add on?
In theory, yes ... although I see on the forum that usr_devx.sfs can be version-sensitive.
I compile in Vector Linux.
Lobster wrote:What are the settings?
Puppy's kernel config is contained in /lib/modules, or can be downloaded from here http://www.puppylinux.com/development/c ... k2.4.29.gz
Puppy's kernel also involves patches, and some non-standard modules. Barry explains most of this here http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm
Lobster wrote:Can these settings be applied to 2.6?
Mostly, yes. But the 2.6 kernel configuration options are a little different to 2.4's, so a 2.4 config file applied as-is to a 2.6 kernel would probably yield errors. The 2 config files need to be manually compared.
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 28 Mar 2006, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

kethd

#38 Post by kethd »

shrdlu,
What exact SOYO mainboard are you having the trouble with? Does any Linux LiveCD work properly with it?

bombayrockers

#39 Post by bombayrockers »

lobster wrote:
Can we compile kernels from within Puppy with the .sfs compiler add on?
What are the settings?
Can these settings be applied to 2.6?
Yes, infact kernel 2.4.27-with lck patch is compiled from puppy live cd using usr_devx.sfs and a very large pupxxx file.

tempestuous,
That would be great. However, we need to rope in someone having knowledge about /lib/modules, amy be Barry himself. For 2.4.27 recompiles I have been using Barry's script updatemodules.sh to pick the required modules from the /lib/modules. Also, we need to edit modprobe.conf which is way above my head.

shrdlu

soyo

#40 Post by shrdlu »

Kethd,

Mainboard is K7VME. My problem was USB seemed to conflict with onboard ethernet. I abandoned via-rhine driver and used ndiswrapper. Conflict went away and everything works. Sometimes MUT doesn't recognize my usb-drive, but that doesn't happen that often. I have a HD install but the conflict happened with live-cd also; it would hang during boot after it initialized usb. At one point I thought 2.6 kernel would solve my conflict problem. (It didn't.) Now, with the ndiswrapper approach, both kernels work fine (1.07). I decided to stay mainstream (2.4 kernel and 1.08) because I wanted to use MU's megapuppy and Enlightenment. Only need 'doze to use the ATI TV Wonder card: I never could get the dotpup to work. Maybe 2.6 will solve this? Thought about copying the slax Freevo modules over but didn't have the backbone. I hear it is way-hard.

Puppy is great! :D I have it on an IBM laptop, a really old Dell and my soyo home-grown.
If only I could be half as good as my dog thinks I am