Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

#941 Post by edoc »

Fluppy requires "i915.modeset=1" on the kernel line to load properly on my Panasonic Toughbook CF-29, but otherwise it comes up OK so far.

I tried to access the printer-scanner SFS but as in every other case that I have tried it - it is flagged as the wrong version.

I tried the SFS Version Changer but that was unsuccessful.

NOTE: In the BootManager configure bootup when it flags the printer-scanner SFS as the wrong version it says that the SFS Version Changer is in Utility under Menu but that is incorrect, it is in Menu - Filesystem instead.

Can run the fooxxx PET to get the driver I need for my HP P1006 printer? Or will that not work correctly in Fluppy?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603
jemimah

#942 Post by jemimah »

I'm quite certain your copy of the printer_scanner sfs is corrupt in some way. Verify this by running disktype as shown.

Code: Select all

# disktype /mnt/home/printer-scanner-.02.sfs 

--- /mnt/home/printer-scanner-.02.sfs
Regular file, size 29.33 MiB (30756864 bytes)
Linux squashfs, version 4.0, little-endian
  Compressed size 7.319 GiB (7858714111 bytes)
  Block size 1 bytes
Nothing related to printing will work without the printer-scanner.sfs.
edoc

#943 Post by edoc »

Looks as though I have a severely truncated version of the file. :oops:

I will go and get it again ...
# disktype /mnt/home/printer-scanner-.02.sfs

--- /mnt/home/printer-scanner-.02.sfs
Regular file, size 240 bytes
Blank disk/medium
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
maxpro4u

#944 Post by maxpro4u »

just a note-
I have the same issues with quirkynop140 and my wolfe. I just did a frugal install of both.

Perhaps if i could pick another driver.... I just tried spup and when it loaded I did the "probe" for driver and the screen was faded. So i rebooted to start fresh and picked "choose" and then I was able to select raedon from the list and the screen was fine.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236
Roy

#945 Post by Roy »

The more I play with Fluppy, the more I like it on this netbook. Jemimah, you've done incredibly well on your selection of apps.

Something comes to mind as I am cruising the internet, though... How many times are we looking for alternative sites to upload stuff for others to immediately grab for their own Puppy OS? Just found this:
http://lifehacker.com/5710594/tribler-i ... ent-client

"Windows (Mac/Linux on the way): One of BitTorrent's biggest downsides is its reliance on central servers. Free program Triber is a truly decentralized BitTorrent client, meaning you can search for and download torrents straight from the peers themselves, without external servers."

Not knowing anything about compiling or coding, I wonder if this would not fill a need........

-Roy
jemimah

#946 Post by jemimah »

maxpro4u wrote:just a note-
I have the same issues with quirkynop140 and my wolfe. I just did a frugal install of both.

Perhaps if i could pick another driver.... I just tried spup and when it loaded I did the "probe" for driver and the screen was faded. So i rebooted to start fresh and picked "choose" and then I was able to select raedon from the list and the screen was fine.
I think you will get the Choose option if you delete the Xvesa binary out of /usr/bin. Once you delete Xvesa, rerun the Xorgwizard and it should let you choose.

Edit: Nevermind - I'm looking at the code now, I don't think that will work. I'll test it for the next version.
Last edited by jemimah on Fri 10 Dec 2010, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
jemimah

#947 Post by jemimah »

Roy wrote:The more I play with Fluppy, the more I like it on this netbook. Jemimah, you've done incredibly well on your selection of apps.

Something comes to mind as I am cruising the internet, though... How many times are we looking for alternative sites to upload stuff for others to immediately grab for their own Puppy OS? Just found this:
http://lifehacker.com/5710594/tribler-i ... ent-client

"Windows (Mac/Linux on the way): One of BitTorrent's biggest downsides is its reliance on central servers. Free program Triber is a truly decentralized BitTorrent client, meaning you can search for and download torrents straight from the peers themselves, without external servers."

Not knowing anything about compiling or coding, I wonder if this would not fill a need........

-Roy
It seems to be a Python application. Once it's released, I'll see about making a package.
shinobar

Re: Problem with UTC hardware clock?

#948 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:
superchook wrote:I tried out Fluppy 009 on this computer today. The hardware clock is set to UTC and the timezone to Australia/Sydney. I booted from the CD with pfix=ram and using the GUI selected the timezone and clicked the UTC box.

After the "apply" or "OK" (I can't remember which) I restarted X but the clock still showed UTC rather than showing local time. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
You probably need to set the time too. You will know if it is working if you are dualbooting with other linux distros, and their clocks no longer get messed up after you boot Fluppy.
@jemimah
The preset dummy link '/etc/timezone' seems making the problem.
I suppose it should be a link to any of existing timezone under /usr/share/zoneinfo.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]
nooby

#949 Post by nooby »

Jemimah, without you I would have no Puppy for my Acer Aspire One D250.

What is it about Fluppy that makes it boot each time while all the other puppy of different makes fail to boot 2 and third time and so on.

Inpu001 seems to be an exception. Have not tested it as many times as Fluppy which I use daily but all the others fails to boot after the second or third boot.

Can you teach the other Devs how to accomplish this?

I don't mind using Fluppy but there are a lot of potential Puppy users out there and they would not know in advance that only Fluppy works on their machine?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#950 Post by Béèm »

Did the information I gave permit to analyze the problem?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
picatrix

#951 Post by picatrix »

It seems that Frisbee on my Toshiba Satellite P30 121 got broken after a couple of restart...no more wireless lan visible in the scan window, can´t scan / find any new network with my ath5 wlan0, that previously was perfectly working since the first start using key_mgmt=WPA-PSK and pairwise=TKIP.

I´ve already tried the puppeee Beta5 frisbee´s patch, with no joy...any help apreciated!

All the best
jemimah

Re: Problem with UTC hardware clock?

#952 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:
jemimah wrote:
superchook wrote:I tried out Fluppy 009 on this computer today. The hardware clock is set to UTC and the timezone to Australia/Sydney. I booted from the CD with pfix=ram and using the GUI selected the timezone and clicked the UTC box.

After the "apply" or "OK" (I can't remember which) I restarted X but the clock still showed UTC rather than showing local time. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
You probably need to set the time too. You will know if it is working if you are dualbooting with other linux distros, and their clocks no longer get messed up after you boot Fluppy.
@jemimah
The preset dummy link '/etc/timezone' seems making the problem.
I suppose it should be a link to any of existing timezone under /usr/share/zoneinfo.
Thanks for checking it out. I'll add this fix for Fluppy010.
jemimah

#953 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:Jemimah, without you I would have no Puppy for my Acer Aspire One D250.

What is it about Fluppy that makes it boot each time while all the other puppy of different makes fail to boot 2 and third time and so on.

Inpu001 seems to be an exception. Have not tested it as many times as Fluppy which I use daily but all the others fails to boot after the second or third boot.

Can you teach the other Devs how to accomplish this?

I don't mind using Fluppy but there are a lot of potential Puppy users out there and they would not know in advance that only Fluppy works on their machine?
Fluppy just uses an older version of the init script than the one in woof. Barry must have introduced a bug fairly recently.
jemimah

#954 Post by jemimah »

Béèm wrote:Did the information I gave permit to analyze the problem?
Actually I still have no idea. I'm hoping a couple more people will have this problem so I can try to find commonalities. The last person to complain about that error told me a clean reinstall fixed it. I'll send you the information on how to set it up manually, but there's a bug at the moment making this difficult. When I have the patch ready, I'll post the information.
jemimah

#955 Post by jemimah »

picatrix wrote:It seems that Frisbee on my Toshiba Satellite P30 121 got broken after a couple of restart...no more wireless lan visible in the scan window, can´t scan / find any new network with my ath5 wlan0, that previously was perfectly working since the first start using key_mgmt=WPA-PSK and pairwise=TKIP.

I´ve already tried the puppeee Beta5 frisbee´s patch, with no joy...any help apreciated!

All the best
That patch will probably make the problem worse, since it's for an older version of Frisbee than the one in Fluppy.

I may roll back to the older wpa_supplicant and see if that problem goes away. Typically results will eventually show up when it gets stuck like that, but I've had to refresh about 15 or 20 times to get it working when that happened to me.
edoc

#956 Post by edoc »

I now have tested Fluppy 009 on several laptops and one netbook.

My experience is that the RTL8192SU needed to be deleted and the RTL8192SE renamed to RTL8192SU for the wireless modem to work.

In at least one case I had to add "i915.modeset=1"

On a Toshiba laptop Fluppy would not play nicely with a USB wireless-N nic but worked fine with a PCMCIA wireless nic.

One of the laptops is an ACER Aspire 5535-5452 - 64-bit dual-core - it has suffered a chronic overheating problem since new. Fluppy works nicely on it except that it pops up a High Temperature warning every 30 seconds or so!

I will not buy an ACER again.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
jemimah

#957 Post by jemimah »

You can bump up the threshold on the temperature applet. Not all CPUs have the same safe temperature range. I have it set for the EeePC.
edoc

#958 Post by edoc »

150F sound good? :lol: :roll: :cry:
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
Mstar

Odd Suspend Behavior

#959 Post by Mstar »

I have an Acer Aspire One D150-1920 Netbook running Fluppy 009. Great stuff, thank you Jemimah.

When I click Suspend from the shutdown menu I can restart by pushing the power button.

When I press Fn-F4, I can restart by pressing the power button.

When I close the lid I can restart by pressing the power button, but when the machine restores it immediately displays "Suspending to Ram" and then suspends again. Ctrl-C does nothing to stop it, I have to force a shutdown and reboot.

I've tried adding "restore=RAM" to the extlinux.cfg file but to no avail.

It's a frugal install using a SSD.

I've tried searching the forum, using Google to search the forum, and the Puppeee forum.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
ecube

buglets

#960 Post by ecube »

Fluppy009 buglets

Dell Vostro 220, Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Frugal install, RAM: 3080328 kB

Mounted partitions are not always marked as "mounted" (green dot) by the desktop drive icons (see attachment).
Workaround: "Tick box to erase then redraw ..." in Event Manager:Desktop drive icons and Restart X windows.

The eth0 interface does not connect after reboot.
Workaround: Add a symbolic link to /usr/local/bin/Frisbee
in the Startup directory

Compaq Mini CQ10-101SO, Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
Frugal install, RAM: 1026460 kB

The 1Vattery shows Battery percentage = 0% when I disconnect the AC-adapter
Workaround: Install powerapplet_tray-2.2.pet and remove 1Vattery from the Startup directory
Attachments
desk_drives.jpg
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 1095 times
powerapplet_tray-2.2.pet
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 276 times